Analysis How is Jake Kolodjashnij going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds as if the Cats had their measure. Prismall did get injured, though. And something also happened to Djerrkura, too, IIRC. I guess a footballers' life for them just wasn't meant to be.

He did. Injured his knee during the Qualifying Final in 2008. Frank Costa then publicly stated he would be offered a new contract at either the Grand Final dinner or Best and Fairest (can't remember which). This is a guy who had very few actual written contracts with people as you didn't need them if he gave you his word. Plus they knew the first year would be a write-off while he recovered from his ACL injury. Pretty good show of loyalty I would have thought.

Prismall chose to ignore this and left for the more lucrative pastures of Essendon. Strangely enough they eventually delisted him too at the end of 2012. However this was not his fault. Just ask him.

He did. Injured his knee during the Qualifying Final in 2008. Frank Costa then publicly stated he would be offered a new contract at either the Grand Final dinner or Best and Fairest (can't remember which). This is a guy who had very few actual written contracts with people as you didn't need them if he gave you his word. Plus they knew the first year would be a write-off while he recovered from his ACL injury. Pretty good show of loyalty I would have thought.

Prismall chose to ignore this and left for the more lucrative pastures of Essendon. Strangely enough they eventually delisted him too at the end of 2012. However this was not his fault. Just ask him.
I remember being puzzled by his departure, having felt sure he was in our best 22 and looking a definite senior-list player after recovery from injury. Do you think it was the money calling him? He was a pretty regular player for the Bombers, I thought- only missed about half of the season following his injury.

I remember being puzzled by his departure, having felt sure he was in our best 22 and looking a definite senior-list player after recovery from injury. Do you think it was the money calling him? He was a pretty regular player for the Bombers, I thought- only missed about half of the season following his injury.

Have absolutely no idea to be honest. My guess is someone got in his ear and he started putting a higher value on his services. If it was purely monetary, he's absolutely within his rights to do that. He's entitled to look after himself.

However I get annoyed at the constant myth that he needed opportunities elsewhere. He played 12 games for us in 2008 - playing in precisely zero losses - and the Qualifying Final was his 8th game in succession. He didn't need opportunities elsewhere as he was very clearly getting them at Geelong. He was part of the team, part of the midfield, and getting better. In the 7 games before he did his knee he averaged nearly 24 touches a game. That's not the output of a fringe player. So the "looking for opportunities" excuse doesn't align with the facts.

Have absolutely no idea to be honest. My guess is someone got in his ear and he started putting a higher value on his services. If it was purely monetary, he's absolutely within his rights to do that. He's entitled to look after himself.

However I get annoyed at the constant myth that he needed opportunities elsewhere. He played 12 games for us in 2008 - playing in precisely zero losses - and the Qualifying Final was his 8th game in succession. He didn't need opportunities elsewhere as he was very clearly getting them at Geelong. He was part of the team, part of the midfield, and getting better. In the 7 games before he did his knee he averaged nearly 24 touches a game. That's not the output of a fringe player. So the "looking for opportunities" excuse doesn't align with the facts.
That was my recollection of his final year at Geelong, too. Played a few games early the previous year but none late in the season, then had a very good 2008 (?). The silly bugger missed a couple of premierships, too, by moving. I always thought he was the one who was dirty on the club for some reason but have heard no explanation- even "imaginary" excuses- as to why he left.
Oh well- it's all water under the bridge now.

That was my recollection of his final year at Geelong, too. Played a few games early the previous year but none late in the season, then had a very good 2008 (?). The silly bugger missed a couple of premierships, too, by moving. I always thought he was the one who was dirty on the club for some reason but have heard no explanation- even "imaginary" excuses- as to why he left.
Oh well- it's all water under the bridge now.

Not sure which Ess I heard it from , but they offered him a truck load. I always had the feeling looking a him that he thought he should have been playing well before he was , was dirty Sel came to the club a came straight in , and by the time he did come in , he may have thought he should be on more money. Is it a GenY thing this self entitlement? Anyway Prismall showed to me that it rare that a trully worthy player gets denied chances. If you are good enough , you make the MC pick you.

Bews looks to be a nice blend of wanting games, thinking he ready but knowing that it was up to him. 3 years on the list and he is in , and its now up to him to make them keep picking him. Caddy , Bundy will come in at some stage. Hunt in the wings but he has dibs at the moment. Just play hard , play for the team and dont get injured.

So far Jake is showing none of that. If he is as smart as he sounds , Id guess he would look at our side , look at the age of the backmen and know he has time to get ready but he also knows that he must be ready when its time. Big summer pressing the KGs i think

Gets caught out of position too much for my liking - a lot to improve on if he wants the key back position. Struggles with decision making as well.

Personally think Jake has been outstanding as our chief defender. Overall did a decent job on Darling and co. Took some very telling marks one on one too. Think this kid has really improved and these matches without the keys of old will only put him in better stead.

Thought he did really well against an overwhelming tide v WC. Made some mistakes in disposal but intercept marking was great. Only 50 games in and will need to keep improving but having gone from 5-6th banana back there to suddenly being potentially #1 or 2 is a big move in a week and he's doing fine.

Scoreline would have been worse without him.

And regarding decision making, there were errors - some his- but they weren't really providing great outlet options either.

GO Catters

Thought he did really well against an overwhelming tide v WC. Made some mistakes in disposal but intercept marking was great. Only 50 games in and will need to keep improving but having gone from 5-6th banana back there to suddenly being potentially #1 or 2 is a big move in a week and he's doing fine.

Scoreline would have been worse without him.

And regarding decision making, there were errors - some his- but they weren't really providing great outlet options either.

GO Catters

Where do you see him in comparison to his brother?

Very different players, I’d say his brother has more ability but jake has had a better run and looks to be developing better because of it.

Promising start to life as the no.1 banana.
Big month ahead with some quality forwards to contend with.
As is often the case with young players, you need to throw them in the deep end and see if they can sink or swim.

Great signs so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive always had Kade in front on talent.

But right now id have Jake in front on work rate. He seems to be taking consistent strides in the right direction and while Kade plays up on GCS and i dont watch him specifically, im happy with JK and id say having Scarlo and Boris in his head each day is doing wonders for his career.

Go Catters

Ive always had Kade in front on talent.

But right now id have Jake in front on work rate. He seems to be taking consistent strides in the right direction and while Kade plays up on GCS and i dont watch him specifically, im happy with JK and id say having Scarlo and Boris in his head each day is doing wonders for his career.

Go Catters

KK was obvious ahead at draft on talent yet ..now id have JK ahead. In part due to the concussion thing.

I find it interesting that opposition supporters have so much angst about replacing Enright, Mackie, Taylor, Lonergan etc as if those guys were *always* brilliant AA defenders right out of the box.

Jake has done pretty well over the past few weeks without the old blokes around and will only improve.

He's 50ish games in and looking pretty good.

Combined with Bews and Tom Stewart we've got a good crop of defenders coming through.

I find it interesting that opposition supporters have so much angst about replacing Enright, Mackie, Taylor, Lonergan etc as if those guys were *always* brilliant AA defenders right out of the box.

Jake has done pretty well over the past few weeks without the old blokes around and will only improve.

He's 50ish games in and looking pretty good.

Combined with Bews and Tom Stewart we've got a good crop of defenders coming through.
And Henry is promising.

I few times he failed to make body contact on his opponent. He is never going to be any more than an average player

I few times he failed to make body contact on his opponent. He is never going to be any more than an average player

Give it a rest mate , he's played 50 games and missed a fair amount of time with glandular fever.
There isn't a player alive who hasn't and doesn't make mistakes.
There's a lot to work with here and with him and Stewart able to play on all sizes we will be well served when Taylor and Henderson return. Disposal needs improving but it's a confidence issue IMO as his technique is very good by hand and foot.
I think his timing and closing speed is very good as is his spoiling technique , coming along nicely :thumbsu:

Give it a rest mate , he's played 50 games and missed a fair amount of time with glandular fever.
There isn't a player alive who hasn't and doesn't make mistakes.
There's a lot to work with here and with him and Stewart able to play on all sizes we will be well served when Taylor and Henderson return. Disposal needs improving but it's a confidence issue IMO as his technique is very good by hand and foot.
I think his timing and closing speed is very good as is his spoiling technique , coming along nicely :thumbsu:
There is nothing wrong with being an average player if he plays his role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back