How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, just wait until everyone is back from injuries, that strategy has been working well for the past few years.

They have waited far too long already.

True, but a couple of our always injured quartet (Shuey and Nic Nat) have retired. They've shown they can be at least half decently competitive when we don't have 20 blokes in the injury last for like 70% of the season. Do I think they'll make the finals? Of course not. But are they historically Fitzroy bad? No. Still desperately need a few years worth of top end talent to come in now for a refresh.

If they perform like they did this year next season with a healthy list then he most likely will be gone.

True, but a couple of our always injured quartet (Shuey and Nic Nat) have retired. They've shown they can be at least half decently competitive when we don't have 20 blokes in the injury last for like 70% of the season. Do I think they'll make the finals? Of course not. But are they historically Fitzroy bad? No. Still desperately need a few years worth of top end talent to come in now for a refresh.

If they perform like they did this year next season with a healthy list then he most likely will be gone.
The injuries are a cause that has become a symptom. There is no reason that the Eagles should have competitive performances book-ending a 100 point drubbing at home to another cellar-dweller. What is obvious from the outside is that Adam Simpson can no longer get the team to perform to AFL level each week, injuries or not. It's not his fault, but the train has left the station.

I believe this will be the 3rd real rebuild in the club’s history…and will be the longest.
Actually to be techical, it will be their 4th.

1st one was 2000-01 after their 10 year run of the finals in the 1990s.

2nd one was 2008-10, 3 years of no finals after their 2002-7 finals era.

3rd one was 2013-4, I wouldnt call it a major rebuild but they did grab some serviceable players in those 2 drafts in 2013 and 2014.

the 4th one is this current one which started after finishing 9th in 2021.

A Freo supporter bagging a 40 goal a year forward.
Oh the irony!

You still haven't given me a better forward.
Please don't say Crabener.

At Least we've got premierships to fondly remember.
You on the other hand.

You can't even keep your good players.
Lachie Neale, Cerra, the list goes on.

Another middle of the road year again I bet.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight fella.

Edit: Cerra for Serong.

well this an interesting post.

Matt Taberner wasnt great. A 30-35 goal a season tall forward that worked hard. not the worst thing in the world.

Jye Amiss kicked 40 goal for freo in his 2nd season.

Caleb serong is a gun mid. would easily walk in your teams best 23.

Yep around then - the club has never spent more than 3 years out of the 8, so I’ll back them in.

You are right, Simpson won’t be turfed, he’s a Premiership coach.
Eagles current record of not making finals is 3. That is 2008-10 and this current streak of 2021-23.

Do you think the eagles will make finals in 2024? If not, it will be the 1st time the eagles will miss out on finals for 4 years in a row.

The coach is the least of your problems, its your playing squad that is the issue. Its old, broken down and done. Eagles need fresh and exciting talent in this old and stale squad
Streaks outside the finals this century:

Adelaide: 4*
Brisbane: 9
Carlton: 9* (11 if you exclude making it from 9th)
Collingwood: 4
Essendon: 4
Freo: 6*
Geelong: 3
Gold Coast: 11*
GWS: 4
Hawthorn: 5
Melbourne: 11
North: 5*
Port: 5
Richmond: 11
St Kilda: 8
Sydney: 2
WC: 3
WB: 5

*active

11/18 teams haven't been out of the finals for more than 5 years. Most of the ones with long streaks are/were complete basketcases.
Dont get me wrong... I stuck tough and copped my poo as a dockers fan in that 6 year reubuild from 2016-21. glad we made finals in 2022 and won a final. I will savour that finals win for a while. 1st finals win since 2015. So we had to prevent from going 10-20 years with no finals win.

there are 18 sides in the AFL.

So that means 8 teams make finals, 10 sides miss out.

So its common for clubs that made finals with ageing squads to drop, then spend at least 5 or 6 seasons in a row not making finals.
You guys got the Claremont rejects. And then sent McLeod home in poverty class after asking him about water polo.

I've lost count of how many miserable years of existence you have had, 27 years or so.

Mediocrity is part of your rubbish clubs DNA.
Dockers despite being below average at least made a grand final in 2013.

Dont get me wrong, 7 finals wins in 30 years isnt great. But I love them spreaded rather than bunch them up over 4-5 years.

I look at North Melbourne.

only 5 finals wins in the last 20 years. 1 in 2007 when they made a prelim. then 2 more in 2014 and 2 more in 2015. they havent won a final since 2015 or made finals since 2016.

I hope Damian Barratt reads this forum.

You've been talking s**t all year about Adam Simpson, right up to your (Possibly the worst) Sliding Doors segment about how he's gone for a certainty. Well again you've got no idea.
It's alright, he's already flipped to 'North's win was great because WCE will trade pick 1 to them anyway', as most of the Vic media have.

Might be a fair few people hospitalised come draft night if WCE are still holding pick 1...

Do West Coast supporters think there's a conspiracy in the media against them or something?

I suspect it's similar treatment to how every struggling side gets when their coach is under pressure.
Except a lot of other poor sides have either sacked their coach already (GC and Hawks) or are harmless and never win (Freo). While North have been kicked so much it's now turned into defending them and having Clarkos back.

But there appears to be some scores being settled in the WA media and the salivating to the East over the idea of us trading pick 1 is annoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the fact Simmo has been backed in by the West Coast board.

We are not contending anyway so prefer to show the AFL media scavengers (all claiming to be in the know) that we won't be pushed around by their dictates and mandates.
Loved watching Gary Lyons chip-on-shoulder meltdown over it. Kane Cornes and Eddie Maguire can eat one too.

We are not dependant on the AFL and are supporters still rock up and pay the bills even when we are down - so they have no influence on the matter either.

That goes for pick 1 too - we don't HAVE TO trade it because of the outside noise, we'll do what is best for us.

Love the fact Simmo has been backed in by the West Coast board.

We are not contending anyway so prefer to show the AFL media scavengers (all claiming to be in the know) that we won't be pushed around by their dictates and mandates.
Loved watching Gary Lyons chip-on-shoulder meltdown over it. Kane Cornes and Eddie Maguire can eat one too.

We are not dependant on the AFL and are supporters still rock up and pay the bills even when we are down - so they have no influence on the matter either.

That goes for pick 1 too - we don't HAVE TO trade it because of the outside noise, we'll do what is best for us.
Doing the opposite of what everyone says you should do is not exactly a concrete strategy.

If I were a WC fan I'd be disturbed. The club statement said that Simpson has already guided the club through the first part of it's rebuild. The Eagles attitude towards this rebuild seems to be: "if we make changes slowly then things will probably turn around quickly". The club presumes the rebuild has started because you're at the bottom of the table.

Simpson doesn't believe this will be a 5-6 year process. He's not imagining his next grand final window opening in 2029. But that is the time-frame. He's just hoping it can be sooner, and so he is not making decisions for the long term. Clarkson 2.0

well this an interesting post.

Matt Taberner wasnt great. A 30-35 goal a season tall forward that worked hard. not the worst thing in the world.

Jye Amiss kicked 40 goal for freo in his 2nd season.

Caleb serong is a gun mid. would easily walk in your teams best 23.
Don't forget Sam Sturt

You guys got the Claremont rejects. And then sent McLeod home in poverty class after asking him about water polo.

I've lost count of how many miserable years of existence you have had, 27 years or so.

Mediocrity is part of your rubbish clubs DNA.
We all get our chances down the ladder. For your side, its your turn.
We’ll find a way. Good clubs do. ☺️
I am sure you will...
Err, what?

Judd was pick 3, which we got for being shithouse. The other 2 were picks in the 20s, Darling was late 20s.

Other teams had multiple shots at choosing them and didn't.

Meanwhile, you mob takes players like Griffin ******* Logue in the top 10...
Griffin Logue wasnt bad. Not even close to the worst top 10 pick of all time. Not even the worst top 10 pick since 2000. I can name a few top 10 picks worse than griffen Logue. At least 2 from Freo since 2000 and at least 3 from the demons since 2000 too.

Yeah he’s no Brandon hill
Brad Hill was ok. Not one talks about the Brad Hill trade dont they? lol
Yea, so thin-skinned.
Mate.... the last thing you can accuse a dockers fan is being thin skinned. We spent 6 years in a row from 2016-21 not playing finals.
Seriously can't believe the premier mcknkobbface is getting off so easy.

He will just play to the local numbnuts and blame "over east" for his * ups and the locals will lap it up

I lived in WA and they truly believe there is a place called "over east".

Sure some Eagles fans will come at me and get all defensive about it and deny it but it's factually true.
This is An acutal rebuild for West coast, this is the big one.

You look at their previous rebuilds in their history...

- 2000-01: yep it had to be eventually done. They spent 1990-99 playing finals. They made 3 grand finals from 1991-94. But players from the 1987 squad were at the end of their careers by the late 1990s. It was only 2 years out the finals but they kept their finals performers from the late 1990s for a while.

- 2008-10: this was significant. They had their finals run from 2002-7. Mind you, the eagles 2007 squad wasnt old. Cousins and Judd Left. Braun, Rowan Jones and Daniel Chick Left around this time too. They got a few solid players in these 3 drafts. Nic Nat as pick 2 in 2008 started it.

- 2013-4: I wouldnt of called it a rebuild, more like a mini rebuild or a plug a couple of hole to get up the ladder again. They made finals in 2011-12 off the back of some of the 2005-6 grand final players of Kerr, embley, Glass, Lynch etc. 2013 got them a couple of key cogs for the 2018 flag. Dom sheed was that 1st pick in 2013 they needed.

- 2021- now. This time its gonna be a long rebuild, their 2008-10 and 2013-4 down periods wasnt bad as it was not an old squad but a moderate aged squad. Their current squad lost Kennedy to retirement this season. Hurn and Shuey have retired, so has Nic nat.

Right call.

Not seeing a load of young coaches screaming "pick me" and if there are, would said assistant coach wanna potentially set their career on fire before it even gets a chance to get going? First time coaches are going to struggle to get another chance if they win less than 10 games in their first two years, which is highly likely going to happen to us in 2024 and 2025. For Simmo, if we can't pass the 10-win mark in the next 24 months, he'll be moved on but he'll get another job if he wants it. He might even get moved on even if there is a pretty significant turnaround over the next couple of seasons.

Once it was reported Dean Cox is keen to see how his Sydney career pans out and hoping to succeed Longmire, it didn't look particularly fruitful out there in the land of assistant coaches. So why not give it another year and have another look to see if there is a young assistant out there who is looking as one of the next gun head coaches, the same way Adam Simpson was looking just the way at the end of 2013.

And of course, there is the small matter of a monster two-year payout absolutely smashing our soft cap. I'd much rather the club spend that money on sorting out our strength and conditioning team.

Circumstances aside which have helped Simmo to hold on to his job, I actually think a lot of people have been impressed by the resilience he has shown in the last 4-6 weeks. It's been an absolute barrage and he has faced up to it every minute of the way without shirking it all... and the on field results (Freo aside) have been far from disastrous in that period as well so there are a few little green shoots to work with.

We were up for a long time. 6 consecutive finals series and 8 in ten years without properly bottoming out. Got the glory in 2018. That catches up to most teams. Geelong, and to a lesser degree Sydney, are very much exceptions to the rule.

Lets put injuries aside and let's look who actually played on the weekend and they still lost to a bottom 6 side by 170

Shuey
Gaff
Barass
Duggan
Kelly
Allan
Yeo
Sheed
Darling

Sorry but "injuries" is BS and needs to be called out.

It's become the company line but it's BS.

Most players on that injury list are no good anyway
Keys your thoughts mate?

Listened to some of the media pundits in the last couple of days.

It feels like someone slept with their mother and didn't call her afterwards - man are they affronted.

And i reckon i know why.

The opinion business is rife in football and they think they are part of the circus, not just commentators on it.

So when a club doesn't buckle to their narrative, or their sources or whatever else they avail their own self importance with - they lash out .

Here we have a proven coach unanimously supported by the board, majority supported by the fans and it appears supported by the players

To the media - get ****ed

Listened to some of the media pundits in the last couple of days.

It feels like someone slept with their mother and didn't call her afterwards - man are they affronted.

And i reckon i know why.

The opinion business is rife in football and they think they are part of the circus, not just commentators on it.

So when a club doesn't buckle to their narrative, or their sources or whatever else they avail their own self importance with - they lash out .

Here we have a proven coach unanimously supported by the board, majority supported by the fans and it appears supported by the players

To the media - get ****ed
Great post, laughing at how indignant Vicmedia is that the WC board did their own thing and supported their coach when Vicmedia had him sacked all season.

Vicmedia get so much out and out w r o n g but never apologise or retract, they just move on to their next target and hobby horse. Such a need to fill airwaves and print media with something so just dream it up and put it out their as fact, when in fact it's often not!

AFL HQ and Vicmedia are both dreadfully poor at what they should be doing and have been this way for two decades. Is it wrong to say Putin has the answer?

Doing the opposite of what everyone says you should do is not exactly a concrete strategy.

Strawman. I'm not saying that at all. That's the Kane Cornes take on it.
I'm just saying now probably isn't the best time to start with a new coach unless there is clearly one in mind - we don't have to do it just because the Media is calling for blood.

If I were a WC fan I'd be disturbed. The club statement said that Simpson has already guided the club through the first part of it's rebuild. The Eagles attitude towards this rebuild seems to be: "if we make changes slowly then things will probably turn around quickly". The club presumes the rebuild has started because you're at the bottom of the table.

Simpson doesn't believe this will be a 5-6 year process. He's not imagining his next grand final window opening in 2029. But that is the time-frame. He's just hoping it can be sooner, and so he is not making decisions for the long term. Clarkson 2.\

Again that was Cornes take on it - he also stated just this week that "the rebuild hasn't even started yet".
I don't even really know what that means haha. Again a bit of a brainless shock jock take.
Rebuild has just finished it's 3rd season considering that we have stocked up on draft picks (and 2 mid season draftees).

It will take a while but we've more than started the rebuild. Past 2 drafts those that (so far) could be B22 are:
Hewett,
Ginbey,
Culley,
Long,
Maric,
Hough,
Bazzo,
J Williams
These are potential best 22s with of course likely Reid, Brockman, Devon and others being added to the mix this draft period.

And nothing is black and white - not everyone else on the list is a 30+ yr old Veteran who needs to retire. We also have:
Oscar Allen - 24
Jamaine Jones - 24
Bailey Williams - 23
Tom Cole - 25
Jack Petrucelle - 24
Liam Duggan - 26
SPS - 25
Liam Ryan - 26
these all also have a chance to prove they are best 22 (or remain b22) and all are still relatively young.

Now of course I am trying to have an intelligent discussion - I'm not saying "herp, derp, Grand Final 2026 here we come!!" - but to state we haven't started to rebuild is just straight up nonsense. It's seriously a nonsense statement. Not sure what ppl think we have been doing the past 3 / 2.5 years.

Last edited:
Great post, laughing at how indignant Vicmedia is that the WC board did their own thing and supported their coach when Vicmedia had him sacked all season.

Vicmedia get so much out and out w r o n g but never apologise or retract, they just move on to their next target and hobby horse. Such a need to fill airwaves and print media with something so just dream it up and put it out their as fact, when in fact it's often not!

AFL HQ and Vicmedia are both dreadfully poor at what they should be doing and have been this way for two decades. Is it wrong to say Putin has the answer?
Honestly

Can you ever remember so much outrage and negative media for a coach who wasn't been sacked?

Blokes like Ralph and Co were left with egg on their face.
Rather than admit they got it wrong, they become petty and nasty like Ralphs reference to Langer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back