How many A-Graders on our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't think Cunnington is an A grader you either have a lack of respect for what he does or you have no idea what you are watching .

I have huge respect for what he does. But unfortunately there is some aspects of his game that is lacking which restricts him from A grade status in my opinion.
Go watch rounds 3,6,10 and 11 and you might see where I am coming from in terms of the floors within his game. I could reel off a dozen games from last year where he was way off the A grade mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you define an "A grader" anyway?

My definitions are as follows.

Superstar
Star
Jet
Gun
Very good
Good
Average
Plodder

All players fit into one of those categories. Most in the good/very good sections.

I think the question is, in 8 years, how many players has Brad Scott been able to develop into A grade ?

And that gives you a hint of how good Scott is in developing players and as an AFL coach.

I have huge respect for what he does. But unfortunately there is some aspects of his game that is lacking which restricts him from A grade status in my opinion.
Go watch rounds 3,6,10 and 11 and you might see where I am coming from in terms of the floors within his game. I could reel off a dozen games from last year where he was way off the A grade mark.

His stats this year pretty much mirror that of Luke Parker who is an A grader , and for those say that Cunners struggles when carrying niggles that may be true but Parker has also had 3 or 4 bad games due to niggles . Gary Ablett doesn't get anywhere near it when he has niggles / injuries .

Cunnington is a great footballer but stating he is a genuine a grade player means you are really lookingat it with blue and white glasses on. Selwood dangerfield ablett martin tear you a new one. The other a grade players in the comp are super consistent. As north supporters we should know them well because players like pendles always and swan would always play super games against us. Hes our best player (bar taz) but a grader hes not.

Cunnington is a great footballer but stating he is a genuine a grade player means you are really lookingat it with blue and white glasses on. Selwood dangerfield ablett martin tear you a new one. The other a grade players in the comp are super consistent. As north supporters we should know them well because players like pendles always and swan would always play super games against us. Hes our best player (bar taz) but a grader hes not.
If you are a great footballer then you are generally an A grader . Those guys mentioned they're more than A graders they are generational players .

Generational players are like wayne carey not gun midfielders. If we are classifying a 25 disposal (17 handball) player as a grade we have low expectations. Buddy and maybe ablett are the only generational players in the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generational players are like wayne carey not gun midfielders. If we are classifying a 25 disposal (17 handball) player as a grade we have low expectations. Buddy and maybe ablett are the only generational players in the league
Selwood is a generational player and when Dangerfield wins his 2nd Brownlow this year maybe you'll have a rethink . So if you handball more than you kick , you can't be an A grader ? I think you'll find the majority of high possession winners in the comp handball more than they kick . It's the congestion that the games played in especially when you work at the coal face . And if Cunners had other decent mids around him then you'd probably see him play forward more too but we don't so he doesn't .

His stats this year pretty much mirror that of Luke Parker who is an A grader , and for those say that Cunners struggles when carrying niggles that may be true but Parker has also had 3 or 4 bad games due to niggles . Gary Ablett doesn't get anywhere near it when he has niggles / injuries .

Parker isn't having an A grade season so far. But his form over previous seasons where he has performed consistently as an A grade player enables him to remain at that status.
Cunnington doesn't have that luxury as he has never performed consistently over an extended period of time as an A grade player.

It means he gets repeat possessions. Hes not damaging enough and im sure ninety percent of football followers would agree. Selwood generational give me a spell. Mitchell hodge rioli steve j chappy bartell pendlebury swan all in the same league as selwood. Although danger potentially will be.

It means he gets repeat possessions. Hes not damaging enough and im sure ninety percent of football followers would agree. Selwood generational give me a spell. Mitchell hodge rioli steve j chappy bartell pendlebury swan all in the same league as selwood. Although danger potentially will be.
haha yep ok

What about a top five in contested possession, top five in centre clearances and a top three in clearance player? Selective reproduction of stats gives a flawed perspective and you know it.

In my opinion Cunnington's stats would suggest he is an A grader but because he plays for North he gets no recognition. However, I do believe that Taz is our other A grader and should get All Australian this year.

giphy.webp

How many current players are/have been consistently what we hoped for when we obtained them? Not every player can be an A-grader but they can all fulfill their potential. Our development has been poor. We haven't gone to a draft with a live top 10 pick since 2009 but have always retained something in the first round. First round picks should always nudge A-grader at least. That all we have is "Cunnington maybe" is concerning.

Both Tarrant and Cunnington are considered A grade when compared to other players on our list. However, when compared to all players in the AFL they both fall short IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back