How many weeks for cotchin's dangerous tackle?

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be where the dart lands on the dartboard.
If there was a consistent set of standards we could very easily go fine or week. It's one thing the AFL needs to get better at. Show us all at the start of the 2021 season what level is a fine and what gets a suspension and keep to it.

I find it hard to believe the AFL will get consistency when they don't allow precedence to be cited at tribunals. When you can't go back and go "you gave this 1 week so this deserves 1 week" it just lends itself to the situation where supporters are guessing at what any penalties (if any) will be.

Lynch will be saved by the fact it was barely any contact and it was to the shoulder/collarbone and not the face. A couple of inches over and hes probably gone. Very silly act, but there's nothing in the force or impact, its negligible in that regard so will get off.

Agreed. Contact to a similar area as Hurley earlier in the season but with far less force. May get cited at the Match Review Panel but will get off at the tribunal if it does get cited.

I find it hard to believe the AFL will get consistency when they don't allow precedence to be cited at tribunals. When you can't go back and go "you gave this 1 week so this deserves 1 week" it just lends itself to the situation where supporters are guessing at what any penalties (if any) will be.
That's where we need a baseline to go off and use that as the only precedence. That way you only argue around that and not what someone got in round 5.

What about the "Attempted" spoil on young Ben Paton drew blood from the head had to go off under the blood rule poor night for big Tom Lynch.

Pffft, Lynch was pushed off balance and put up the forearm at the last second to protect himself. Kinda like Hawklns - Balta - Soldo but it took out a teammate instead.

Cotchin a little bit naughty but no strike, no injury, no suspension.

Lynch, not newsworthy.

Pffft, Lynch was pushed off balance and put up the forearm at the last second to protect himself. Kinda like Hawklns - Balta - Soldo but it took out a teammate instead.

Cotchin a little bit naughty but no strike, no injury, no suspension.

Lynch, not newsworthy.
You didn’t hear? No injury doesn’t matter anymore..

You didn’t hear? No injury doesn’t matter anymore..

Just my opinion. They will do what they want to do. The AFL is run the same way as the Victorian government - there is an illusion of process in place but they will ride roughshod over it to arrive at the decisions they want.

Last edited:
Would hate to see a player from my team suspended for this. A fine at worst.

In saying that, wont surprise me to see him charged only to appeal and get off.
Its a John Ralph special.
Opens up the beautiful possibility of setting up a few days of Cotchin and Lynch headlines to sell a few papers, have a few more clickbait articles and a few hours of talkback radio debating the issue.
Hope they both play as the game needs its stars playing not sitting in the stands for punishments that don't fit the crime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an absolute joke if he gets off without a suspension after the whole "potential to cause injury" with Long. Cotchin's sling could have broken Jones spine. And the thing that really, really pissed me off - Cotchin was laughing afterwards. Definition of scum. I have zero confidence in the AFL to do the right thing though.

Lynch won't get suspended, there was no force in it. It was dirty, but not suspendable.

It's an absolute joke if he gets off without a suspension after the whole "potential to cause injury" with Long. Cotchin's sling could have broken Jones spine. And the thing that really, really pissed me off - Cotchin was laughing afterwards. Definition of scum. I have zero confidence in the AFL to do the right thing though.

Lynch won't get suspended, there was no force in it. It was dirty, but not suspendable.

Calm down mate. So many people don't have the ability to be objective about Richmond or its players anymore. They start to hate and then don't know how to stop

These are fines.
However after the Long incident we have opened a can of worms again. Potential to injure is there, Cotchin plays on edge as does Lynch but neither these are football incidents.

Long slowed right down after attacking the contest, it’s a normal footy collision. Wasn’t hurt as he slowed and turned.

Lynch was unnecessary and grubby. It’s a deliberate knee to the head which can cause injury, what is his intent?
Cotchin went overboard but let go in time. However once again it could potentially injure.
Christian is an absolute goose for bringing potential back into the repertoire.

What about it? Nothing in it from a suspension point of view.

Lynch had no eyes for the ball and split Paton's head open with his elbow and Paton had to go off for treatment cause his head was splattered in blood

Careless Conduct
High contact
Medium Impact

Not too mention potential to cause serious injury

Should get at least 1 or 2 weeks for a complete dog act

Last edited:
Fine at most, but a disappointing cheap shot nonetheless. Might be something that would cop a ban early in a season when Whateley and co are whinging about the umpires and the MRO every Monday, but not during a finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back