Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but look what happened in 2020 - VFL was abandoned and teams played scratch matches. What happens in 2022 if a team needs 5, 8 or 10 back-up players at short notice and those back-up players have just played VFL? I just reckon full AFL lists will need to be available at short notice, and I also think we will see more players rotated across the season. Demons used something like 34 players in 2021. This could be 48 in 2022

Would scrapping the VFL Ressies be an option? AFL teams could have those players you are suggesting on standby and the VFL can have that void filled with players from the VFL Ressies. It would take some careful planning in terms of rotation to ensure that all players are getting enough games to keep their conditioning but could be worth some thought.

Would scrapping the VFL Ressies be an option? AFL teams could have those players you are suggesting on standby and the VFL can have that void filled with players from the VFL Ressies. It would take some careful planning in terms of rotation to ensure that all players are getting enough games to keep their conditioning but could be worth some thought.

There is no vfl ressies mate :) scrapped a few years back.

The AFL/Vic Govt are going to have to do some fancy negotiating about how to keep the season going when players are positive left-right and centre.

I guess they'll do what most international sports leagues are doing and allow larger lists and clubs just have to use replacements if they have an outbreak.

Interesting to see what the Vic Govt does with crowds. Guessing they'll continue to let it rip? Lot of water under the bridge until Rd 1, I suppose.

Looks like Freo and the Eagles will play all away games like the Storm and Warriors had to do, until WA borders open.
Easy. No games in WA.

Well there you go. I have no idea what the hell is going on. :D

We can only hope by that stage the covid spread isn’t too bad and that we’re living life again somewhat normal. If not, the vfl will need back ups from local leagues. Dunno how local footy is going to go if we are in the same climate. They’ll all be stressing.

Again though, why would they even consider opening up in this climate?
All they're doing is kicking the can down the road.
Your clubs are going to be decimated by covid you reality averse person.

At stages you will barely field a team.

Im amazed some of you folk can breathe without earphones in and a voice reminding you.

Positively bovine.
Half the Victorian AFL players have caught the thing already.

And McGowan predicts that by 5 Feb WA will only be 35-38% triple vaccinated.

I’d say the AFL will be finalising plans for WCE and Freo to relocate to the east pronto, as much as anything to let the players acclimatise
Would be a good filip for regional Victoria. Would Mars Stadium handle a Fremantle crowd?

Maybe VFL teams can add 10 players from local leagues to their lists then as pipe-fill?
Will be tough, all the best options in local leagues won't want to take a pay cut to play VFL.

We can only hope by that stage the covid spread isn’t too bad and that we’re living life again somewhat normal. If not, the vfl will need back ups from local leagues. Dunno how local footy is going to go if we are in the same climate. They’ll all be stressing.
Premierships in Vic country were still being brought, through clubs willing to go into debt for imports. Travel restrictions decimated them last two years.

Might have trouble fielding seconds and thirds, if the young fellas have lost interest. Doesn’t need match of a drop off, because it has been heading that way since the halcyon days of the 70/80s.

The AFL/Vic Govt are going to have to do some fancy negotiating about how to keep the season going when players are positive left-right and centre.

I guess they'll do what most international sports leagues are doing and allow larger lists and clubs just have to use replacements if they have an outbreak.

Interesting to see what the Vic Govt does with crowds. Guessing they'll continue to let it rip? Lot of water under the bridge until Rd 1, I suppose.

Looks like Freo and the Eagles will play all away games like the Storm and Warriors had to do, until WA borders open.
Most Vic/NSW/Qld it seems that about half have already had Covid so unless they contract it again or whatever new variant comes they may be ok. I think Port had about 10. WA clubs are likely to most impacted because they don't have it

Crowds I would guess will have some sort of cap again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your clubs are going to be decimated by covid you reality averse person.

At stages you will barely field a team.

Im amazed some of you folk can breathe without earphones in and a voice reminding you.

Positively bovine.
By the time the season starts most eastern seaboard players will probably have contracted Omicron. That, along with triple vaccination, will provide a level of "herd immunity". Wait until the WCE & Freo players come over. They'll drop like flies having had zero exposure

By the time the season starts eastern seaboard players most players will probably have contracted Omicron. That, along with triple vaccination, will provide a level of "herd immunity". Wait until the WCE & Freo players come over. They'll drop like flies having had zero exposure

Yeah, I can't buy into predicting what is going to happen next week, let alone in two months' time when the season starts. We could very well be through this Omicron variant by then, have pretty low case numbers and crowds at the footy.

But you are right, it seems unlikely that it will cause serious issues for the non-WA teams. By March this thing will likely have infected almost everybody that it is going to infect.

Agree, but look what happened in 2020 - VFL was abandoned and teams played scratch matches. What happens in 2022 if a team needs 5, 8 or 10 back-up players at short notice and those back-up players have just played VFL? I just reckon full AFL lists will need to be available at short notice, and I also think we will see more players rotated across the season. Demons used something like 34 players in 2021. This could be 48 in 2022

I've heard a rumour that if teams cannot field a full team in 2022 they will forfeit the game.

Not verified btw. The source is a good one, but I have trouble believing the AFL would apply it so brutally

Yes, sounds unbelievable - depending upon what they mean by "a full team"

I'm talking the 22 for the game.

Technically a forfeit is the correct sanction, and this was discussed re: Essendon during the ASADA saga, and even Richmond when we got down to barely above a fit 22 (think we were down to 23-24)

I've heard a rumour that if teams cannot field a full team in 2022 they will forfeit the game.

Not verified btw. The source is a good one, but I have trouble believing the AFL would apply it so brutally
Why do that when we can have the spectacle of a full strength team vs 12??

Seriously though - maybe a better idea is to reduce team sizes for such an instance - drop the wing positions for an affected game.

Technically a forfeit is the correct sanction, and this was discussed re: Essendon during the ASADA saga, and even Richmond when we got down to barely above a fit 22 (think we were down to 23-24)
23 for a game now with the sub

We played players who couldnt run in our spoon year at the end of the season - we were flush out of players

By the time the season starts most eastern seaboard players will probably have contracted Omicron. That, along with triple vaccination, will provide a level of "herd immunity". Wait until the WCE & Freo players come over. They'll drop like flies having had zero exposure
Your assumption is based on the greek alphabet ending at omicron…..

;)

Smacks of penalising clubs for something beyond their effective control.

As long is it is watertight in terms of being only a Covid outbreak that postpones a match.

One team in the Premier League (let's call them Arsenal, or the Scum) just exploited a loophole because the wording for their similar policy was not so well considered. Art Vandelay_ can verify.

I'

I'd have thought rescheduling games rather than forfeiture will happen, if teams cannot draw players from the VFL lists. The AFL wouldn't want a BBL situation where "no names" are brought in, but if the VFL lists are merged with the AFL and teams can draw from the expanded lists forfeiture would be an absolute last resort, IMHO.

As soon as a game is forfeited the competition's integrity is shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back