Autopsy Hubba Hubba, Blues blast the Dogs on the Coast

Who do you think played a good game for the Blues v the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. He'd be just about my favourite non Carlton player right now. Makes things happen.

What I don't agree with is Garry Lyon having him above Walsh in the 2018 "re-draft". Having Walsh at 6th best is clear anti-Carlton bias at play, when 6 games ago Walsh was widely lauded as the best first year player and was one vote away from a clean sweep in RS Voting.

Agree with most of your words, though there is no 'anti-Carlton bias' in the media...

The draft class is phenomenal and my guess is that in 15 years time there will be numerous arguments as to who was the best, and all arguments will likely be justifiable...

EDIT: It is hard to know without seeing it whether Lyon was ranking who has had the better career to date, or whether he is ranking who is playing better right now...assuming cause he had Rankine at 3 he is doing the latter (though ranking Rozee higher is controversial as well in that case)

If he was doing the latter, his position is valid, though certainly we can disagree with it and there is no 'right answer'...

Last edited:
Agreed. He'd be just about my favourite non Carlton player right now. Makes things happen.

What I don't agree with is Garry Lyon having him above Walsh in the 2018 "re-draft". Having Walsh at 6th best is clear anti-Carlton bias at play, when 6 games ago Walsh was widely lauded as the best first year player and was one vote away from a clean sweep in RS Voting.

I agree with everything you have stated

I will say though, I had him at 6 long term

On current performances, this year, I would rate the top 3 as

B King
Smith
Walsh

I think people are really selling this kid short

Has had a very good start to the season and is improving in each phase

He would be starting 22 in our side
In place of whom?
Not in place of Walsh, Ed, Eddie, Murph, Crippa Cas, Pitto, Martin, Harry, McGovern - he cant do what they do

Kennedy, Setterfield and Gibbons all had better games as far as actual impact on the outcome is concerned, so not ahead of any of those.

He can't play in the backline, so Willo, Jones, Wietering, Plowman, Simmo, Doc, SPS are safe

Maybe as a hff....for Cunningham, but he would be a long way behind Silvagni as a replacement. Maybe Newnes, but he isn't much of an upgrade imo, and he doesn't seem to have the running capacity to play wing

I get that people think this kid is a gun. I hope he goes on to be one of the greats. I have only paid attention to him for one game, and reported what I observed. I didn't see much that impressed me after viewing it three times.

In place of whom?
Not in place of Walsh, Ed, Eddie, Murph, Crippa Cas, Pitto, Martin, Harry, McGovern - he cant do what they do

Kennedy, Setterfield and Gibbons all had better games as far as actual impact on the outcome is concerned, so not ahead of any of those.

He can't play in the backline, so Willo, Jones, Wietering, Plowman, Simmo, Doc, SPS are safe

Maybe as a hff....for Cunningham, but he would be a long way behind Silvagni as a replacement. Maybe Newnes, but he isn't much of an upgrade imo, and he doesn't seem to have the running capacity to play wing

I get that people think this kid is a gun. I hope he goes on to be one of the greats. I have only paid attention to him for one game, and reported what I observed. I didn't see much that impressed me after viewing it three times.

You are kidding right?

He would play ahead of Murphy, Gibbons, Newnes, Kennedy, Setterfield, Cuners that played on the weekend

You are basing his year on one game where the Dogs lost by more than 8 goals

In place of whom?

@nuffies on AFL pages

Best thing about this game was that we didn't rely on individuals and we brought hard physical footy with plenty of effort from start to finish. Been a long time since we played 4 quarter footy. Just really happy to see us playing with aggression and intensity and seeing plakes dish out and take hits. Also finished off the work with good skills and were able to score a massive score considering the shortened games. This was exactly the effort we needed to put in and I hope the team begins to enjoy and expect hard footy.

Curnow - About as good a game as he will play, was excellent in close and go on the outside at times.
Betts - Had a great game, like him up the ground as well, dropped a couple of sitters which is rare from him but gee he played well.
McGovern - Liked his game because he was leading and getting on the end of it a bit which we don't see enough. The more he positions well and times good hard leads the better he will play, IMO that's the key to his game.
Martin - Just love this guy, rare combination of high class skills, nouse and toughness. Love how he hits bodies and can do just about anything.
Walsh - Best game for him this season. Played the wing quite well. Thought his effort was up.
Gibbons - Awesome game. Loved how he was so clean off the ground and his kicking was above par. Really top game from him.
McKay - I keep laughing of talk of trading him on here. Never going to happen. Had his colours lowered last week but came back this week with a competitive effort. Hitting contests and making tackles. Took some nice marks and kicked a few goals. Needs a bit more size and strength and when he gets that he will be a dominant forward in the comp.
Setterfield - Like him on the ball. When he battles away, puts the body on the line and tackles a lot he's great. A bit more size and strength and he will be a player.
Kennedy - His best game as an AFL midfield for sure. Thought he had a good influence. Tackled, put pressure on and ran quite well. Did a lot of things at this level he has never done and if he keeps this up he could find a spot in the senior side. Liked everything he did.
Docherty - We weren't heavily reliant on him and he just played a fair role which was great, can't ask for much more.
Casboult - He was good, he's moving well and he played his role well.
SPS - One of his better games, did not look reluctant to take physical contact, straight lined the ball and really got involved in the general play. Liked his game.
Newnes - In this era of footy the wing is a part outside part inside role and while he is not the best outside player, when the contest is on and he has to go he goes and makes an impact. He's physical and he competes which is why he's getting a go. As wingmen go he's not quick or silky skilled but he's a workman type player who has a crack. In the end he played a solid game.
Simpson - Rules the roost of hitting a contest. How he keeps going and playing hard footy at his age is phenomenal, really good game.
Murphy - I like him skirting around the outside, his tackling and physicality aren't great amongst his peers but he's got a lot of good qualities. Like how we put him in the center when the heat has gone out of the game, he does his best work then. Injury probably stopped him in his tracks but he played his role.
Pittonett - This guy was awesome, some of his tapwork was outstanding and you won't see a ruckman as good below his knees. He's exceptionally quick at picking the ball up off the ground and giving off an effective handball. It's a real weapon of his. Like how he get's back and defends and gets involved in play and he's very physical out there. Book him in as our number one ruck for a while.
Cripps - Opposition focus on him and if we don't rely on him that works in our favor. Quiet game but he played a role. Being too reliant on Cripps is our weakness and we did something about it I feel.
Jones - He was solid. Like seeing him have to confidence to put his arms up and go for his marks.
Williamson - Liked his game, has speed and competes hard and will take a hit. Nice kick on him too.
Plowman - He played one of his better games, opposition have in the past attempted to isolate and exploit him and that didn't happen this week. He just played his normal game.
Cuningham - Probably the forward who missed out which was nothing against him, just that the others were getting the job done. Didn't get midfield time this week. The few things he did he did well. Liked his game even though he was quiet.
Weitering - Like Cuningham, he just played his role, defended and took the game as it come. Didn't have to do a lot and they probably put a bit of work into him to stop him intercepting. Liked seeing some desperation and intensity.

In place of whom?

Just on Smith - It's interesting that watching it live I thought he had a much better game than for watching the replay.
Did they cut some things out of the game. :)

I think he stands out because of several things. His hair doesn't hurt this illusion but neither does the fact that he's quite energetic.
Even in pack situations, he's moving about that makes you notice him.

BTW - He'd be in our best 22 quite easily. Just an opinion.

You are kidding right?

He would play ahead of Murphy, Gibbons, Newnes, Kennedy, Setterfield, Cuners that played on the weekend

You are basing his year on one game where the Dogs lost by more than 8 goals
I said that all along. The discussion was started because people think he played well, and I disagreed. On exposed form that I have taken note of - one game- he would not make our 22
I invite all and sundry to go back and watch the game and focus on what he actually accomplishes.

In place of whom?

I'm sorry, but this belongs in a WB 'opposition supporters say the strangest things' thread.

Smith would be getting a mid berth ahead of Cuningham, Ed, Murphy, Newnes, Jack, Gibbons and Kennedy on this year's exposed form.

In place of whom?

He would have been named on-ball and started in the square alongside Cripps, Ed & Pittonet. Probably Walsh and Murph on the wing & Setterfield on the bench so pushing one of the mid/wing/hff (Newnes , Kennedy, Cuningham or even Gibbons?) out of the side.

26 with 10 contested at 65% with just the 3 turnovers (offset by 6 intercepts) plus 1 goal 1 and 5 clearances is a good game, especially when it was basically in half a game of footy before Ed sat in his back pocket.

Feels like the navy blue tint on your glasses is so dark that you can't see through them.

I said that all along. The discussion was started because people think he played well, and I disagreed. On exposed form that I have taken note of - one game- he would not make our 22
I invite all and sundry to go back and watch the game and focus on what he actually accomplishes.

More than half our team wouldn't of got a game, this year, based on those requirements

And personally, I don't agree he was a bottom 6 player on the night, more like in the top 10

Stats go hand in hand with vision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing about this game was that we didn't rely on individuals and we brought hard physical footy with plenty of effort from start to finish. Been a long time since we played 4 quarter footy. Just really happy to see us playing with aggression and intensity and seeing plakes dish out and take hits. Also finished off the work with good skills and were able to score a massive score considering the shortened games. This was exactly the effort we needed to put in and I hope the team begins to enjoy and expect hard footy.

Curnow - About as good a game as he will play, was excellent in close and go on the outside at times.
Betts - Had a great game, like him up the ground as well, dropped a couple of sitters which is rare from him but gee he played well.
McGovern - Liked his game because he was leading and getting on the end of it a bit which we don't see enough. The more he positions well and times good hard leads the better he will play, IMO that's the key to his game.
Martin - Just love this guy, rare combination of high class skills, nouse and toughness. Love how he hits bodies and can do just about anything.
Walsh - Best game for him this season. Played the wing quite well. Thought his effort was up.
Gibbons - Awesome game. Loved how he was so clean off the ground and his kicking was above par. Really top game from him.
McKay - I keep laughing of talk of trading him on here. Never going to happen. Had his colours lowered last week but came back this week with a competitive effort. Hitting contests and making tackles. Took some nice marks and kicked a few goals. Needs a bit more size and strength and when he gets that he will be a dominant forward in the comp.
Setterfield - Like him on the ball. When he battles away, puts the body on the line and tackles a lot he's great. A bit more size and strength and he will be a player.
Kennedy - His best game as an AFL midfield for sure. Thought he had a good influence. Tackled, put pressure on and ran quite well. Did a lot of things at this level he has never done and if he keeps this up he could find a spot in the senior side. Liked everything he did.
Docherty - We weren't heavily reliant on him and he just played a fair role which was great, can't ask for much more.
Casboult - He was good, he's moving well and he played his role well.
SPS - One of his better games, did not look reluctant to take physical contact, straight lined the ball and really got involved in the general play. Liked his game.
Newnes - In this era of footy the wing is a part outside part inside role and while he is not the best outside player, when the contest is on and he has to go he goes and makes an impact. He's physical and he competes which is why he's getting a go. As wingmen go he's not quick or silky skilled but he's a workman type player who has a crack. In the end he played a solid game.
Simpson - Rules the roost of hitting a contest. How he keeps going and playing hard footy at his age is phenomenal, really good game.
Murphy - I like him skirting around the outside, his tackling and physicality aren't great amongst his peers but he's got a lot of good qualities. Like how we put him in the center when the heat has gone out of the game, he does his best work then. Injury probably stopped him in his tracks but he played his role.
Pittonett - This guy was awesome, some of his tapwork was outstanding and you won't see a ruckman as good below his knees. He's exceptionally quick at picking the ball up off the ground and giving off an effective handball. It's a real weapon of his. Like how he get's back and defends and gets involved in play and he's very physical out there. Book him in as our number one ruck for a while.
Cripps - Opposition focus on him and if we don't rely on him that works in our favor. Quiet game but he played a role. Being too reliant on Cripps is our weakness and we did something about it I feel.
Jones - He was solid. Like seeing him have to confidence to put his arms up and go for his marks.
Williamson - Liked his game, has speed and competes hard and will take a hit. Nice kick on him too.
Plowman - He played one of his better games, opposition have in the past attempted to isolate and exploit him and that didn't happen this week. He just played his normal game.
Cuningham - Probably the forward who missed out which was nothing against him, just that the others were getting the job done. Didn't get midfield time this week. The few things he did he did well. Liked his game even though he was quiet.
Weitering - Like Cuningham, he just played his role, defended and took the game as it come. Didn't have to do a lot and they probably put a bit of work into him to stop him intercepting. Liked seeing some desperation and intensity.

Great post, particularly Gov...

What I liked about him on the weekend was not the marks or goals, it was the small things that he hasn't been doing consistently...

In Q1 - I noticed there was a ball he didn't time his leap for...in the past that would have gone over his head, to his opponent and would have led to a rebound and potential goal...in this game, he got a fingernail on it to the boundary to ensure a stoppage and reset...that is what I am more interested in seeing rather than the high marks and great goals (though those are nice too!)

Be BUT A SNACK :p

Watched replay yesterday and Big Pitts contribution was enormous.

Also Newnes was mostly very good too. It is going to be very difficult to know
who makes way for Jack SOS and possibly Fish and Dow.

And that is how it should be with good teams :thumbsu:

Will be at least one unlucky or injured player IMO as Jack straight in.
Yep I think Jack typifies our current game style, pressure, hardness at the contest, smart ball work and mental speed and agility, in fact both Jacks up forward typify these attributes probably the most in our side.

Walsh is a one of the hgame's best
More than half our team wouldn't of got a game, this year, based on those requirements

And personally, I don't agree he was a bottom 6 player on the night, more like in the top 10

Stats go hand in hand with vision

Supporters in our Club have been carrying the weight of shyteness for so many years now even punks with look at me bogan haircuts are appealing.

I'm interested to see how Stocker/Kemp/Kennedy/Setterfield/Cripps look as midfield on ball rotations - not long to wait now.Couldn't care less about what theoreticians have to say about 'leg speed' - that is for outside runners like Fisher/Philps/Cuningham/Martin/Dow/LoB/Walsh to deliver - I want 5 hard nuts in the side every week - on ball or thereabouts - then I'll know #17 is coming.

No need for Mr Smith or his haircut - he can stick with Libertore and try and avoid a 3 strike.

I think people are really selling this kid short

Has had a very good start to the season and is improving in each phase

He would be starting 22 in our side

Agreed. Smith would be a walk up start in our 22.

In all seriousness was a very difficult tackle to lay in order not to get him high, and full marks to Pitto to somehow do that legally...particularly as Daniel has been known to use his 'stature' to his advantage on occasion...
Yeah the big Pit dog bounced back well from last week and gave us some great service in the middle, he just needs to start getting a few more marks around the ground, other thing was on there kick outs I noticed a couple of times English was allowed to mark it uncontested outside the 50 and Pit I think was further down the ground, we can’t allow this as it compromises our press but I’m not quite sure if Pit was on him those couple of times I’ll have to watch it back, but I love the big man and what he offers and our mids are really starting to gel with him at stoppages which is fantastic having a ruck that is there every week working with the mids, this will really improve our stoppage work going forward and change the whole dynamic. 👍

Walsh is a one of the hgame's best

Supporters in our Club have been carrying the weight of shyteness for so many years now even punks with look at me bogan haircuts are appealing.

I'm interested to see how Stocker/Kemp/Kennedy/Setterfield/Cripps look as midfield on ball rotations - not long to wait now.Couldn't care less about what theoreticians have to say about 'leg speed' - that is for outside runners like Fisher/Philps/Cuningham/Martin/Dow/LoB/Walsh to deliver - I want 5 hard nuts in the side every week - on ball or thereabouts - then I'll know #17 is coming.

No need for Mr Smith or his haircut - he can stick with Libertore and try and avoid a 3 strike.

Kid might look like a bogan, but is extremely dedicated

You're right Blue but probably just let this go...the last 5 posts between you and Surrey have said the exact same things lol.
It was clearly in the back and not head.

I've seen some of our players deliver those little bumps plenty of times. And i'm happy they do.
Willo does it and we love him for it...he's got a bit of campaigner in him constantly bumping and shoving opponents.
Yep maybe Walsh should have gone to ground like Sookwood did when Willo gave him a shove would have got a free out of that just like Selwood minus the 10 metres out from goal.

Back