Hurn steps down as captain - Thank you Bunga

Who should be the next captain of the West Coast Eagles?

• Luke Shuey

Votes: 120 75.5%
  • Josh Kennedy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jeremy McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Tim Kelly

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Jack Darling

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nic Naitanui

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Andrew Gaff

• Elliot Yeo

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Dom Sheed

• Brad Sheppard

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Other?

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The first year no one is calling for his head and Bunga steps aside o_O

Premiership captain has a certain, lifelong ring to it.. Thanks for your service Shannon!

Not that I was going to call for his head but I did go to the "Time for a new Captain" thread yesterday as the time kind of felt right to move Shuey into the role. However I'd contributed a couple of times to the last page of the thread and didn't want it to look like I was gunning for Bunga so I didn't bump it.

I wasn't thrilled with the appointment early on but he's grown into the role beautifully and led us to a flag. Thanks Bunga!

Will be interesting to see what happens next. I'd imagine Shuey gets the gig for 2-3 years while one of the younger blokes is groomed to become captain afterwards.

Hopefully Bunga can just concentrate on his footy, keep playing well, keep himself fit and get to 300 games. The bloke absolutley deserves all the love he gets.

We have a few options:

Shuey: With Shuey 30 next year i wonder if they will go with him? I think he would make a great captain but you look at how injury strikes with our players that play around the 31-32 mark.

Yeo: At the age of 26 he would be a good 5-6 year captain. He has also become a game changer in that when we are done he loves to will the team over the line to get us going which is great for a captain. He is well liked by the players and coaches and has become a decent speaker in the media when giving interviews.

Gov: Turns 28 next year and is one of our game breakers down back. Respected by the players and coaching staff.

Kylo Ren: Currently the leader of the First order so he has the credentials to lead.

I would personally go with Yeo in that he fits the criteria well. We have players like Duggan and O Allen who look to have leadership material but at the moment are too young so i think a spot on the leadership group would serve them well.

Captain: Yeo
Vic Captain: Shuey & Gov.
Leadership team: Duggan, JK & O Allen

Don't think age matters, nor how long the new captain will be in the role. You pick the best candidate for season 2020, as you should at the start of every season.

Shuey & Sheppard seem the obvious choice.
Yeo and Harry High Pants Gov are both larrikins, don't think you'd give them the captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s been a terrific captain, terrifically unlucky not to be All Aus captain the last few years as well.

With some players the captaincy is more a hindrance, but ever since he’s become captain he’s really taken his game to the next level.

We will all have our opinions on who the next captain will be- but whoever that turns out to be will have massive shoes to fill. Only one of 3 men right now who can say they captained our club to a flag, and he certainly deserves that honour.

Thanks Bunga!

Back