Prediction Hypothetical trades, other clubs moves, draft smokies, salary guesswork and whatever else thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculous call
Massive call.
to be fair, it is probably a similar call prior to when we traded for Burgoyne. most posters were unbelievers of his potential impact at the time.

wingard is probably in a similar position, we have seen his potential but don't have the hindsight to verify the value of the potential trade. time will tell.

He can’t do those things now. The more tatts he’s got the worse he’s played.
What's you're reasoning here? Too old, too injured?

Ridiculous call
It's a big call, but not ridiculous at all. Any player who could kick 50 goals for the season while winning clearances, taking big contested marks and providing outside pace would be our best.

Would love us to land Shiel with a future first rounder and say Ceg - and keep our picks this year.

Need young talent through the door to join forces with Our A grade players under 25.

What's you're reasoning here? Too old, too injured?

It's a big call, but not ridiculous at all. Any player who could kick 50 goals for the season while winning clearances, taking big contested marks and providing outside pace would be our best.
I appreciate you have a lot of man love for the Chad but:
1. You keep referring to 13-15 when he was last any good. That's 3 years of ordinariness since. It's not about age, it's about form. Like a number of others, he hit his peak early and has trailled off. He wants a long term contract now to leverage off his 13-15 form.
2. You say he is a 50 goal per year kicker.. He's done that once a long time ago when Port had no other forwards. His last 3 years are 38, 24 and 22. What's the trend?
3. As a midfielder he averages 20 disposals. They are hardly Mitchell numbers. He doesn't stand out even in a terrible midfield.
4. You compare him to Dusty, Fyfe and Buddy. Those guys have got more Brownlow votes in a year than Chad has in his career.
5. Most importantly, he is just a bloke and Port are happy to let him go.

Hence, ridiculous call. Pass.

Why has Aaron Hall only played 6x games at Gold Coast this year?

Injuries or sh*t form?

Probably a combination of injuries and just not being a player Stewie Dew would want anywhere near his team.

He's probably the most outside an outside mid could get.

Probably a combination of injuries and just not being a player Stewie Dew would want anywhere near his team.

He's probably the most outside an outside mid could get.
I'd try him off Half Back & would be very happy if we got him cheap with this in mind

i want us to hit the draft for once, picking up a couple of DFA's which will cost us nothing, drafting a bunch of quality kids and maybe a SANFL/WAFL/VFL player at the end, then bringing in more kids via the rookie draft would be a refreshing change.

i think trading away our future for immediate impact has us in this position (middle of the table team and deteriorating), building kids around this core group of talent we have atm is the best course of action imo and gives us supporters hope for the future.
If we go hard into the draft now then we're essentially writing off the next few years and then hoping that our draftees reach the potential we see in them. We just finished top four - that's middle of the road? If we can trade in quality to upgrade a few players then we can use the core group which have come through the system.
Draft picks are a lottery, a quality footy kid unfortunately doesn't always translate to an A-grade man at AFL level. DFAs are also a gamble. Hendo has been great, Vickery not so much.
We're still going to draft in kids and rookie list kids with pick 50/60/70 etc but the future is trading. It's what free agency is all about.

It sounds like operation get Shiel is about to heat up, Lobb wanting out works in our favour as they need a ruck but are cool on Ceglar.

Now many here are bullish about Ceglar (not me) and we have Pittonet who is ready to go so do we put McEvoy on the table as you need to give quality to get quality.

So pick 14 & McEvoy & 2019 2nd rounder for Shiel, Corr, and 3rd round pick.

Corr is a 24 year old kpd stuck behind Davis and Tomlinson. This keeps our 2019 1st rounder in play for a Coniglio trade next year when they match our offer.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It sounds like operation get Shiel is about to heat up, Lobb wanting out works in our favour as they need a ruck but are cool on Ceglar.

Now many here are bullish about Ceglar (not me) and we have Pittonet who is ready to go so do we put McEvoy on the table as you need to give quality to get quality.

Corr is a 24 year old kpd stuck behind Davis and Tomlinson. This keeps our 2019 1st rounder in play for a Coniglio trade next year when they match our offer.

The BigBoy bit is exactly what I just came here to post.

He has heaps of trade value (leadership as well as around the ground stuff) & is exactly what they need.

If we were to be asking of a KPd from the Giants it would be Sam Taylor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. You keep referring to 13-15 when he was last any good. That's 3 years of ordinariness since. It's not about age, it's about form. Like a number of others, he hit his peak early and has trailled off. He wants a long term contract now to leverage off his 13-15 form.
2. You say he is a 50 goal per year kicker.. He's done that once a long time ago when Port had no other forwards. His last 3 years are 38, 24 and 22. What's the trend?
3. As a midfielder he averages 20 disposals. They are hardly Mitchell numbers. He doesn't stand out even in a terrible midfield.
4. You compare him to Dusty, Fyfe and Buddy. Those guys have got more Brownlow votes in a year than Chad has in his career.

Pretty well-reasoned but I think I watch more port than you.

Wingard's move to the midfield has not been the complete success that was hoped, however to call his last 3 years ordinary is just silly. He had wonderful patches last year and 2016 in particular of where he was as brilliant as ever. He has struggled with playing out games in the middle.

The brownlow thing is completely related to his best years being as a forward, rather than a mid. I'd refer you to Cyril's brownlow numbers.

We disagree and that's fine, I would love to get him mainly because he is the kind of player I'd go every week to watch. Clarko loves him and I hold some hope that he'll ensure a competitive offer is made.

Watched plenty of Wingard this year. His second half of the season when he was given a role as a fulltime midfielder was top drawer stuff.

If he can play that role he did at Port he'd be a welcome addition. Hard to tag him out as he can go forward and kick 3-4 and still have an impact like he did against the Crows.

One thing is for certain hawks and swans have been the trade kings the last 10 yrs buy a mile.
With both clubs looking to have 1 - 1.5 spare thats without pushing anyone out this trade period will be crazy.
Not to mention the power house clubs tigers and pies are now join them as destination clubs already getting lynch and may.
The lower clubs saints, north,, blues with no fear throwing millions at anything it will be a crazy period.
Biggest in history.

Want shiel, MM and wingard
If we managed 2 out of 3 it would be miracle. Mitch looks destined for Carlton, anyway.

Idea on Wingard trade. I would imagine that Port would see losing wingard as probably their only chance to secure Rankine/Lukosius.

GC will have pick 3, and I think we will satisfy them in a trade to get that pick. Pick 15 + 2 decent players. Miles/Cousins/Langford could be thrown up. Pick 3 + 33 + Brand/Schoenmakers then has the Wingard deal done?

If we managed 2 out of 3 it would be miracle. Mitch looks destined for Carlton, anyway.

Idea on Wingard trade. I would imagine that Port would see losing wingard as probably their only chance to secure Rankine/Lukosius.

GC will have pick 3, and I think we will satisfy them in a trade to get that pick. Pick 15 + 2 decent players. Miles/Cousins/Langford could be thrown up. Pick 3 + 33 + Brand/Schoenmakers then has the Wingard deal done?
That won’t get us pick 3.

And Wingard ain’t worth pick 3 alone.

I reckon Port would love Pick 2 or 3 from GC and Wingard is seen as a tool (see what I did there?) to do it.

Wingard to Dogs for pick 6.

Pick 6 and Port’s 1st to Suns for pick 2.

Hard to see how Hawks get involved and facilitate what Port want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I was GC, I’d be open to trading picks 2 and 3.

Getting established talent (or multiple talents) who actually want to be there has got to be better than rolling the dice on kids who’ll want to leave.

Next best option is working out which kids in the first round of the draft are the lowest flight risks and target them rather than ‘best available’. This may allow GC to trade down (eg pick 2 for 2x top 10 picks).

I reckon Adelaide and Port are prepared to give up quality to get picks 2 and 3, although that quality may not got directly to GC.

If GW can figure a way for the Hawks to get involved and land some of that quality (eg Wingard or MM), he’ll be a genius.

Apart from draft picks, I reckon we have 2 players that fit the requisite bill of having some value yet being expendable...

Ceglar
Howe

I’d value each in the pick 20-30 range.

At a stretch, TOB or Shoey may have some value to someone.

Langford, Duryea, WX, JOR etc ain’t gonna cut it.

There’s no point in trading players who are crucial to us having a dip in 2019/2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back