ICC reveals full extent of global corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes you wonder what is going on in the Aus domestic games, especially the BBL.

I'm probably just biased and/or naive, but the BBL seems to me to be in that sweet spot where players are getting paid enough for it not to be tempting, without there being enough money in the betting to make it a worthwhile risk.

That's what I like to tell myself anyway.

If a bookie has a long term hold on a player there will likely be more than just the short term cash at stake for the player so the amount they get paid to play in a particular comp might not decrease the chances of a fix taking place.

We have many many aussies (and others who also play in the big bash)playing unsupervised in a country where dodgy bookies are seemingly everywhere and where even the head of the official board for cricket in that country seems to be involved in this dodgy business so to think all big bash players/games have remained untouchable is naive.

Last edited:
I'm probably just biased and/or naive, but the BBL seems to me to be in that sweet spot where players are getting paid enough for it not to be tempting, without there being enough money in the betting to make it a worthwhile risk.

That's what I like to tell myself anyway.

Yeah, I think it's being a tad naive. It's happened in the IPL where the players get paid substantially more and betting markets do not necessarily have to be legal. And as frankrizzo says, players are traveling all over the world these days and not just to England and the IPL - guys are going to Bangladesh, Sri Lanka to play in their T20 competitions - only have to fall into the trap once and they've got hold of you forever.

It's pretty disheartening as a fan, but it's a very concerning time for the game worldwide.

Im starting to wonder if there are any clean 20/20 comps, whole circus seems to have become infested or in some cases maybe even built from the ground up to suit the needs of dodgy bookmakers.
You're a good poster on this board so I mean this with all due respect...

You're only just beginning to wonder now?

Now?

All the 20/20 Leagues are corrupt to the core, it's a shame really but what do you expect? Anyone who ever thought otherwise was obviously living on Mars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I think it's being a tad naive. It's happened in the IPL where the players get paid substantially more and betting markets do not necessarily have to be legal. And as frankrizzo says, players are traveling all over the world these days and not just to England and the IPL - guys are going to Bangladesh, Sri Lanka to play in their T20 competitions - only have to fall into the trap once and they've got hold of you forever.

It's pretty disheartening as a fan, but it's a very concerning time for the game worldwide.

There's a lot more money in IPL betting than BBL though. Also, a bunch of those players get paid a pittance at home, and then are suddenly thrust into a big-money competition. They see their teammates earning millions and want a piece of the action, and there's enough money in the betting to make it happen.

But yeah, if there were Kiwis doing it then it's hard to imagine Aussies weren't either. :(

Quotes from the OP link:

Players are also warned about the use of honey traps to blackmail cricketers into fixing and the report carries photographs of a couple (‘‘DP’’ and ‘‘NM’’), who ‘‘attempted to approach players’’ at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington, where many teams stayed during the World T20 in 2009. ‘‘NM’’ is pictured in a bikini and ‘‘ACSU inquiries ascertained that NM was clearly using her charms (the ‘‘honey trap’’) in an attempt to corrupt players

Pics or GTFO :p

Match fixing ? Try the one dayers back in the 1980's, the triangular series where Australia magically made the finals 99% of the time. Dropped catches, missed run outs had to be seen to be believed. Kerry Packer,ch.9 couldn't afford not to have Oz make the finals. Come on Aussie come on,come on. West Indies sued The Age for calling them out on it.

Match fixing ? Try the one dayers back in the 1980's, the triangular series where Australia magically made the finals 99% of the time. Dropped catches, missed run outs had to be seen to be believed. Kerry Packer,ch.9 couldn't afford not to have Oz make the finals. Come on Aussie come on,come on. West Indies sued The Age for calling them out on it.

If you recall correctly, the Aussies missed the finals on more than 1 occasion in this period, so that shoots down your claim.

It's the 20/20 game that makes max fixing so easy to perform. The game is ridiculous with shocking shots being played all the time, so who would know if a batsman gets himself out on purpose? I abhor 20/20, always have, always will.

If you recall correctly, the Aussies missed the finals on more than 1 occasion in this period, so that shoots down your claim.

It's the 20/20 game that makes max fixing so easy to perform. The game is ridiculous with shocking shots being played all the time, so who would know if a batsman gets himself out on purpose? I abhor 20/20, always have, always will.
I reckon three, tops. Clive Lloyd sued The Age for accusing them . Can still remember the headline " come on dollar,come on". It was so obvious it was laughable.

Even the bowling is hard to pick if the player is throwing the game. How do we tell the difference between a deliberate ball down leg side or the bowler trying something different.

They see their teammates earning millions and want a piece of the action, and there's enough money in the betting to make it happen.

Yeah I remember Salmon Butt saying when he got caught. All the players were being paid a standard rate by the board yet some were living in mansions and driving Porsches and after a few 'clean' years he couldn't stand it anymore.

You would have to be an extremely strong, morally pure Mother Theresa type to not join the dark side in a situation like that. God knows I would

Yeah I remember Salmon Butt saying when he got caught. All the players were being paid a standard rate by the board yet some were living in mansions and driving Porsches and after a few 'clean' years he couldn't stand it anymore.

You would have to be an extremely strong, morally pure Mother Theresa type to not join the dark side in a situation like that. God knows I would

That's a part of the discussion that I think we miss here in Australia. We're used to seeing players constantly getting paid overs for what they do and have constant conversations like 'is Shane Watson really worth that much?'

In Pakistan, for example, they get paid ****-all. It's as if Bradman's been reincarnated and is running the finances for the PCB. When a shady bloke wanders up to the you outside the dressing room and says 'hey champ, you really earned your $100 today with that fine 176*, how would you like to earn $5k for mis-hitting one ball?', what do you reckon they're thinking?

0.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back