Ideas for pre GF entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously the AFL haven't got an ear for music which is fair being a sporting organisation.

I was thinking because of the size of the G,that a band just doesn't cut it.

All those Friday night bands we had this,I could hardly hear them and they gave no extra energy match day.

I suggest the AFL go the old fashioned route of a big brass band.

March out onto the centre of the G,just play the 2 opposing teams songs,Up There Cazaly and then the National Anthem then that's it.

Rock bands don't work and Meatloaf look silly sat up in the stands.

Another thing I prefer the musicians play their instruments instead of miming.

A good ole fashioned big jazz or brass army band ,maybe with bagpipes to get the vibes going.

You could have 2 massive bands march out from different gates,each representing the 2 teams and get them each to play their respective club song then merge for Up There Cazaly or other stirring footy melody.

Just something to get fired up for the game.

I felt flat after Meatloaf.

What are your thoughts?

My first though was for Lady Ga Ga singing a set and finishing off with Edge of Glory. Would be prohibitively expensive though I'd think.

needs to be an act that can appeal to an old MCC member,
right down to a child.
you can never please everyone but it seems like the AFL are chasing old household names that were amazing in their prime, but seems they really dont see that its just a 50 year old guy on a tiny stage and that it has no connection with our sport.

in the US the superbowl acts are appealing enough to get a ticket to the game,
i cannot remember once where i watched a pre-grand final performance and wasnt watching for a laugh, never seen anybody genuinely entertaining or adding something to the magic of the day.

even the way the stage is tucked into that stand, it looks so bland.
get the logistics team together and do it in the middle of the oval.

meat loaf, seriously?

**** it. just play the damn game

me and everyone else i was watching it with was bored shitless waiting for the footy to start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more on GF day, all people want to see is the footy. Go back to the old days of the TAC Cup GF, followed by the ressies, then the big one.

THIS!!!!^^^^

Just dump the whole music thing altogether. No matter how good (or bad) the band or performer is, not everyone's going to enjoy them. And the cost of having them is usually offensive - especially when ticket prices are so high.

Just give us more dang FOOTY!

1. Australian (or New Zealand) act
2. Relevant (ie. popular now or within last 10 years)
3. Rock band, no ballads

A large part of the problem was the use of speakers around the ground, feed it through the MCG's sound system and the sound would've been much clearer.

And AC/DC.

Mike Brady singing up there cazaly followed by this bikini parade like they had on the Gold Coast on Saturday (courtesy of the Hun)

004912-bikini-parade.jpg

Pregame -

TAC Cup Grand Final
Presentation of retiring players, Brownlow & Coleman medalists
Mike Brady sings Up There Cazaly and One Day In September
Coodabeens sing That's the Thing About Football
Anthem by someone who sings it with the respect it deserves (no orange hair!!!)

If the AFL can't survive without an international headline act, get someone who is still near the top of their game like Bruce Sprinsteen, U2 or the Black Eyed Peas.

No. Bloody. Music. It doesn’t work. The whole point of the music is meant to fire up the crowd. It doesn’t do that. 99% of the crowd just look at each other saying “wtf is this?” They’re trying to turn it into a rock concert – sorry but people go to concerts because they’re fans of the act, and they go in a certain mood, ready to party. It’s not like that in the middle of the day at the footy. It’s not the right atmosphere. It just doesn’t work. How professional organisers and promoters of a big event like this can have so little feel is just staggering.

It’s just cringeworthy to see some act jumping around in the sunshine at midday screaming “let’s rock!!!!” and thousands of sober people looking around at each other, or staring at their feet.

Leave that s**t to the Superbowl, whipping a crowd of Americans into a frenzy is like shooting fish in a barrel. Aussies are different, deal with it. They don’t do that s**t at the FA Cup final. Why? They have their own culture and they’re comfortable with it. It’s all about the game, the road to the final, and the history.

Think about WHY people are there (or should be there) and how they’re feeling – nervous anticipation of a big match. Do things that heighten that tension and feeling. Tell tales of finals heroics.

It should be a celebration of footy. It’s footy’s biggest day. Parade of that year’s HOF inductees. A tribute to legends that may have passed. A tribute to special people in footy (at all levels, local to AFL) who might have faced adversity.

If there MUST be music, make it simple and Australian. The best one of recent years was when Jimmy Barnes and John Farnham got up and belted out a few anthems. Simple without trawling the world for some irrelevant act who might mildly appeal to maybe 20% of the crowd, but won’t understand our game or indeed, our culture. We can do without 15 minutes of that s**t.

And have a genuinely talented, appropriate performer to sing the national anthem in the correct respectful manner, not some bloody attention seeking hack trying to turn it into their own personal tune.

Less Superbowl, more FA Cup.

Spot on Bunk.

Why we need to have music at all is a joke. It adds nothing (with the exception of Lionel Richie last year who was phenomenal).

Play the reserves, then play highlights of the footy leading up to the main game.

I don't think the audio is an issue. Even if Meatloaf sounded good he still would have been crap. Because he is old and irrelevant.

I wouldn't mind no music. Do some football celebration. Get some legends, retirees out there, anything football related, and leave it at that.

Couldn't agree more on GF day, all people want to see is the footy. Go back to the old days of the TAC Cup GF, followed by the ressies, then the big one.

Yep, 3 cheers for this suggestion

If they decide against it, then do a parade of champions, retirees etc. Maybe a tribute to the grand final team of 50 years prior

Another option would be to get 20 people out of the crowd, give them 3 shots to kick the ball into a barrell from 30 or 50 metres or something if the get it they get $200k or something like that. Would be good to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back