If Geelong get a home final against a non Victorian team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm old enough to remember Victorians defending the arrangement whereby interstate sides were forced to "host" finals at the MCG against Victorian teams.

I'm old enough to remember non Vic clubs begging to join the VFL, knowing that was the situation.

Yeah, but there are minimum standards.

I somehow doubt MLB would accept the distance between bases varying depending on the side of the stadium.

Similarly, the AFL should insist grounds are symmetrical
The distance between bases are identical in MLB. In the same way that the distance between the goals and the dimensions of the centre square are identical square in Aussie Rules.

However, the dimensions and symmetry of the outfield and foul territory are drastically different from stadium to stadium. The same way that AFL grounds have different dimensions and symmetry.

Cricket is the same, standardised pitch lengths, different outfield dimensions and symmetry from ground to ground.

Soccer is the same - identical goals and penalty boxes, different field dimensions from pitch to pitch.

Is the MCG not a viable alternative?

If not, why not?

For Brisbane? No.

Because it doesn't meet the criteria of 'home state'.

If you can't work out that a 1 hour drive from an outer suburb is different to a 3+ hour flight, I don't think I can help you.

I'm old enough to remember non Vic clubs begging to join the VFL, knowing that was the situation.
Are you defending the fairness of this arrangement?

Clubs earn a home final, only for it to be played at the other team's home ground. Is that fair or unfair?

Thus the "if it can be avoided" part of my comment.

A viable alternative needs to be available.
Why does there need to be an alternative?

If Brisbane are entitled to a home final, it's not contingent on whether the opposition have played there this year.

Maybe Richmond should play every game at the MCG?

So the AFL, realising that there are no minnow clubs like Freo hanging around the Top 4 this year, have made the difficult and considered decision to send top of the table Geelong to the 'G for a "home" final.

Colour me shocked.

The distance between bases are identical in MLB. In the same way that the distance between the goals and the dimensions of the centre square are identical square in Aussie Rules.

However, the dimensions and symmetry of the outfield and foul territory are drastically different from stadium to stadium. The same way that AFL grounds have different dimensions and symmetry.

Cricket is the same, standardised pitch lengths, different outfield dimensions and symmetry from ground to ground.

Soccer is the same - identical goals and penalty boxes, different field dimensions from pitch to pitch.

Good work mate. This is something some folks don't realise in regard to football fields. They can range anywhere from 90-120m in length, & 45-90m in width. You look at some South American stadiums and really love their wide pitches as opposed to the more condensed grounds in Europe.

There is a 'regulation-size' as FIFA rules for international matches regulate pitch size to be 100-110m in length & 64-75m in width, but there is no one set size. As you say, it's just the penalty box, penalty spot, 6-yd box and centre circle that are standardised.

Geelong can’t expect to have home games at the MCG in the home and away season and then not expect to have them in the finals series.

Once Geelong completely moves to GMHBA, and hosts all the big clubs down there, then they can have home finals there. But that seems a long way away.

For Brisbane? No.

Because it doesn't meet the criteria of 'home state'.

If you can't work out that a 1 hour drive from an outer suburb is different to a 3+ hour flight, I don't think I can help you.
But but but what about all the fans who will get locked out of the game if it is played at the GABBA??????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong can’t expect to have home games at the MCG in the home and away season and then not expect to have them in the finals series.

Once Geelong completely moves to GMHBA, and hosts all the big clubs down there, then they can have home finals there. But that seems a long way away.
You do realise Geelong have asked to play all home games at KP for years? It isn't up to Geelong. The AFL makes the rules.

A precedent has been set by the AFL allowing the Giants to host finals at their tiny ground rather than making them play at the SCG.
It's the AFL's choice based on the expected crowd. If Giants regularly sold out games at their stadium it would be played at a larger capacity stadium, SCG or ANZ.

Where'd you get the idea we want any home games at the G?

We're actively lobbying for ALL our home games to be at GMHBA.

Up until recently the AFL FORCED us to play home games at docklands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back