In game interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

It's part of the Americanisation of Australian sport. Full access all areas, interactive, raw.... Roaming Brian style (not that I'm bagging Roaming Brian... It's pure trash but very watchable at the same time). Blokes like Jenkins and Dangerfield are all about it.
The NFL has very little inner workings coverage.

Roaming Brian goes deeper than most other sports would.

I think American sports are too high tier to tolerate in game interviews (I am sure someone will prove me wrong on this)

unnecessary. there can't be an interviewer who enjoys this, they know the answers they're going to get but the boss tells them to go through the motions. infanitlising the coverage - only kids could be interested in seeing it.

it's bad. but in terms of what the footy public is less interested in it's soundly beaten by afl.com.au video segments about what's going on in players' social media accounts. the afl showcases their employment diversity by having women smash through the bottom of the barrel.

I think American sports are too high tier to tolerate in game interviews (I am sure someone will prove me wrong on this)

To me it feels like they are finding reasons for Abby Holmes to speak. It shits me to no end as she has no idea what she is talking about.
Careful. You'll get a bunch of white knights coming after you if you keep that up.

Was extremely awkward. These in-game/quarter time break interviews never provide anything interesting. It's just filler. To interview a guy as he's getting worked on on the bench is just so intrusive and cringeworthy. Surprised Hodge didn't tell her to get lost.

Oh what's that? Hodge has a contract with Channel 7 and will probably be working there full time next year? Yeah, probably got a few extra $ks in the retirement fund for his extra efforts tonight. Onya Hodgey!

Hodge was fine to me. If they're live there's always a risk the players will swear or say innapropriate things pumped with adrenalin. Apart from that no problem.

I can't imagine any club would pressure their players to do it if they don't want to. Or allow the broadcaster to either.
Only a matter of time before a huge highlight has the audio of a player being asked boring questions they're not listening to.

Good commentary can help immortalise a moment.

This is what annoys me about journalists always whining about wanting more access to players and the like; it's just more opportunity for players to spout the same cliches again and again.

Craig Hutchison is so enamoured with US Sports and how outspoken the athletes are and wants the same here, but Oz athletes are generally much more reserved in what they say; its just a different culture here.
Doesn't help when the moment a player shows any personality the journos jump on it and go after the player. The players are acting the way they've been taught.

This is clearly something Hodge has agreed to as part of his commercial contract with channel 7.

The bigger questions should be why Brisbane would allow this of one of their senior players. It wreaks of unprofessionalism. He should only be focused on the game at hand. Says a lot about Brisbane really

This is clearly something Hodge has agreed to as part of his commercial contract with channel 7.

The bigger questions should be why Brisbane would allow this of one of their senior players. It wreaks of unprofessionalism. He should only be focused on the game at blow. Says a lot about Brisbane really
Piss off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant post OP, I thought the same thing.

It's a Try hard rip off from the NBA and NFL. Sounds of the game also another one.

Hogde was puffed out trying to regather his breath and thoughts, didn't want to talk to that touchy-feely media '' presenter ''

Admittedly I don't watch a whole lot of American sport but I have been led to believe they love the in and post game coverage and access

Haven't seen worse television all year and than that interview with Hodge and that includes Political commercials and MAFS.

Doesn't help when the moment a player shows any personality the journos jump on it and go after the player. The players are acting the way they've been taught.
Yeah, it's a weird contradiction amongst the footy media.

They're constantly going on about how it's 2019 and players need to be accessible (and clubs need to allow players to be accessible), but if a player says anything diverting from 'one week at a time mantra' the media turn into 1990s Denis Pagan about how the player gone down 'media street'.

The end result is more player interviews during games that say nothing of interest whatsoever.

Yeah, it's a weird contradiction amongst the footy media.

They're constantly going on about how it's 2019 and players need to be accessible (and clubs need to allow players to be accessible), but if a player says anything diverting from 'one week at a time mantra' the media turn into 1990s Denis Pagan about how the player gone down 'media street'.

The end result is more player interviews during games that say nothing of interest whatsoever.

Exactly. It’s also like current day players like Hodge commentating on other teams games, their not going to say anything remotely interesting or controversial.

Was hoping Hodgey told her where to go. Media need to have 0 access during game. Quarter breaks and after the game fair game, but these parasites need to keep their distance during play.

“What great access we have these days”

No one cares, it’s just the stupid media types who believe more content is good content. The best coverage these days is the EPL, it’s minimalist and lets the game do the talking.

I remember when Hodge was mic'ed up in a game the hawks won in Adelaide in 2017 (no mean feat!). It was insightful and highly compelling vision/audio.
The interview last night was utter cringe and detracted from the broadcast, hopefully never to be tried again

As mentioned already in this thread re NFL/NBA copying etc. Same s**t here in the North-Dons game pre-game. Dal Santo using the term shotgun to describe a type of play/style, that's from the NFL. At half time Nick Riewoldt talking and playing with a football in his hand while doing so, straight off the NFL Sunday Count down show.

Useless. Our game is unique and good enough as it is. Trying to emulate someone or something else is pathetic, or at least in this particular instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back