Interstate grand finals - where would you rather play an mcg tenant:

Interstate finals yes or no

• Non mcg tenant - g only but more tix & ground size should mimic higher ranked club

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So the OP stuffed up by not clearly labelling the options in the poll now he's having a sook about it?
I'm no mind reader, but even if I was I'd not want to go near that one.

GFs should stay at the 'G.

For the forseeable future, IMO, the GF at the MCG will remain our Wembley, not our... Stuporbowl.

In 50 years time GWS and Sydney are unlikely to be sharing a single 80,000 capacity oval stadium. Now maybe there's a third SYD franchise by then, maybe not. Olympic sport doesn't need AFL- and cricket sized mega- ovals, but related government pork barreling tends to feed all snouts because politics. AFLX, AFLW and Port's China initiatives notwithstanding, in the medium term I don't see the football-watching demographic being skewed by a massive surge in overseas popularity, as is the case with cricket's media rights, via 20/20 and the subcontinent. So even allowing for singular events and international game development, talk of merely bouncing the GF between Australia's two largest cities* and fattest air corridor is most likely at least half a century too early. Never mind scheduling it at one week's notice at one of several 'provincial' 50k-60k stadiums at opposite ends of Australia's meager air traffic capacities.

Now back to today's reality ;)

More tickets for members of the competing clubs, relative to the 'corporate', MCG member and non-aligned 'AFL' member ticket sets.

IDGAF about the ground configuration or talk of 'local umpiring bias'.

I personally prefer the traditional Saturday afternoon time slot, but I can see media dollars eventually driving that to Saturday evening. And the world won't end because of it.

*BrisVegTwoCoasts still won't be one of them

My view is that the GF should be hosted by the highest ranked team as at the end of the H&A. Probably will never happen though.

And say we one day see any of a WCE v Freo, Adelaide v Port, Sydney v GWS or a Brisbane v GC GF, then the GF should be played in that state. The GF should be played at a venue that allows the most fans of the participating clubs to attend.

As per every other sporting completion, the team that finished higher overall should get home ground advantage. Its just common scene and its fair, but having said that we don't have to many 100k seat stadiums..... fingers crossed things will be different in the future

Until every State has a 100k seater stadium, then the GF should stay at the MCG ....... But there should be more tickets available to the fans of the two clubs involved.

I suspect holding the GF at the highest ranking clubs stadium will never be possible, because of the time restraints of organising an event that large with one week's notice. But once the stadia are built, maybe rotating the event around the country (as the Septics do with the Superbowl) is the answer.

My view is that the GF should be hosted by the highest ranked team as at the end of the H&A.

Never liked this idea. The whole point of the Grand Final is to decide which team outranks the other, so by this stage, all notions of one team out ranking the other should be done and dusted. H&A results got played out in the finals and are now meaningless. Both teams have earned the same right to play in the big game.

If it’s not going to be at the ‘G’ then rotate it.

Back