Scarlett Fever

Senior List
Aug 9, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Firstly I have never seen most of these young kids play a game. But there seems to be a consensus forming on Big Footy that there is a top 7 and Geelong would have the easiest job in the draft. That would be sit back and pick the one that hasn't already been called out.

For what it is worth the consensus top 7 on big footy seems to be:
Gibbs, Leuenberger, Gumbleton, Hansen, Thorpe, Sellar and Selwood.

However, it is never as simple as it seems. The media seems to have a few extra names rated highly. For example a recent article mentioned Armitage as a potential top pick and didn't mention Thorpe. Very few Big footy draft watchers see as much of Armitage as they have Thorpe who has been running around in the VFL. The recruiters will see things differently again and there is always a surprise or 2 in the top 10.

The important things to note imo are:

1) Any team with a top 10 pick will base their decision almost entirely on who they think will be the best footballer.

2) If a club rates 2 or more players equal they will almost certainly go the tall option. Clubs have lamented the lack of quality talls in recent years and this year if they have the chance they will take a tall.

3) Club needs get more attention later in the draft. Talk that Essendon will replace Fletcher with Hansen and Collingwood will take Riewoldt to replace Tarrant is just rubbish. They will go best available. Carlton will only take Leuenberger if they think he is the best available not because they need a ruckman.

4) The go home factor will not even rate a thought with a top 10 pick.

5) Clubs may put up smoke screens. Sellar did not interview well at Port apparently. No one seems to know who said this. Clarkson rates Sellar highly. All these comments mean absolutely nothing and give no indication of who a club might take.

6) Clubs look past injuries because they ghave watched these kids for 2-3 years and not just the last 6 months. If Thorpe and Collard have op now then they are likely to be more progressed with the stabilisation exercises and are therefore less likely to get it later. Selwood didn't have the full reco on his knee so still has all his 9 lives in tact (unlike Muston from last year).

So who will end up at Geelong with our first pick? The Cats like everyone else will go best available. I would be surprised if any of Gibbs, Leuenberger, Gumbleton and Hansen get through to our pick. That leaves Thorpe, Sellar and Selwood. Sellar and Selwood match our current strengths given that we already are getting Hawkins who may still end up a ruck/forward if he keeps growing. The Cats will look closely at these 3 as they will all seem to offer a lot in terms of leadership as well.

I would be surprised if we went for Jetta. This is purely a gut feel based on his size but his WA team mate Collard is a typical Stephen Wells selection. He has all the qualities that Wells likes, running ability and height (for a midfielder) but also has had the magic word applied to him. That word is poise..the thing that seperates a great footballer from a good footballer. Furthermore he played one cracking game picking up 5 goals at senior level before going down with op. Wells has shown a philosophy in the past to pick guys that have performed at an extremely high standard for a short period of time believing the club can get them back to and beyond that level.

Armitage and Proud tick all the right boxes but it is never that simple. The unique attributes of Clinton Benjamin may appeal, the speed of Nathan Brown might wow us and so might Daniel Connors kicking ability. Thompson has been desperate to find a lead up the ground mobile forward type for years. How else did Charlie get to 49 games. So maybe he likes the look of Riewoldt..

I look forward to the draft and have not a clue or an opinion as to who will end up at the cattery. Lets hope the power of foresight will be with Stephen Wells on the 25th November.

Big Nasty said:
bloody good post. I seriously hope we get a skilled midfielder though.

I'm with you Big Nasty! I know we might have a good tall available, but with Hawkins already in the bag we now have a pretty good list of talls. Scarlett/Egan/Harley down back and Ablett/Mooney/Hawkins up forward and Playfair/Lonergan?/Grima?/Spencer? as backups. What we are lacking is a real class midfielder (we have some good ones but not real elite - in my book anyway). From what I've read Selwood ticks all the right boxes and I'm hoping he's still available at no. 7.

Agreed, I would be very happy with picking up Selwood at 7. In addition to being a class act, he apparently has leadership written all over him, something which we desparately need. On the flipside, I wouldn't want to see us pick up Jetta. He strikes me as a high risk propostion, one who would really need to be in the right environment (disciplined and well coached) to succeed. Right now, Geelong is not the place where that would be found.

I don't think the top 7 is quite as clear cut, but given that at least one of the seven players you've named will still be there when our turn comes, we (should) be getting a very good player.

I'm desperate for us to get Selwood at 7.

IMO, he was/is just as good as Gibbs before he got injured. If fit, he would be a lock top 3 pick.

I'm hoping like hell we pass on Jetta and Proud, and that Selwood falls to us.

With regard to this draft it will be interesting to see next week how may are delisted and therefore how many picks we will take into the draft. With Ricco and presumably Kingsley gone and McCarthy reported to be on the way out that only leaves 3 picks - ridiculous for a draft laden with such talent and depth. I would hope for at least another 2 delistings (Koula and maybe Lonergan becoming a rookie) which would give us 5 picks.

Pick 1 for the best available, 2 for a quick skilled midfielder, 3 for you know who, 4 and 5 for best available quick skilled players.

G.F.C said:
I'm desperate for us to get Selwood at 7.

IMO, he was/is just as good as Gibbs before he got injured. If fit, he would be a lock top 3 pick.

I'm hoping like hell we pass on Jetta and Proud, and that Selwood falls to us.

Facts are he has had the injury though is it not?

He has had knee trouble before as well, when he was 15yo. He is obvioulsy all class but a 17yo with wonky knees, gee i dont know.

Geelong will be in the know on him he has been involved in the past at Geelong in various apprenticeship schemes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love Selwood, or Thorpe, on the chance he falls

I'd be annoyed with Sellar. Jetta and Proud would both be good options IMO

surely pick 25 will be Boak if availible, if he's gone, Dan O'Keefe is another good option, who should be around.

Belly said:
I'd love Selwood, or Thorpe, on the chance he falls

I'd be annoyed with Sellar. Jetta and Proud would both be good options IMO

surely pick 25 will be Boak if availible, if he's gone, Dan O'Keefe is another good option, who should be around.

I don't no much about O'keefe whats he like. Also Is Boak that quick? Wouldn't we be going for someone like sherringham, with really good pace. Also Whats Sherringhams disposal like?

Belly said:

We have enough flankers on our list to warrant not taking O'Keefe. A nice talent, but we're stocked up enough as it is.

Ahh the dreaded 2nd round pick. I would be happy to just get a footballer on the park with it. It has not been handled at all well since Thompson came to the club.

Picks between 16-30 since 1999

99 - Spriggs, Bray and Foster

00 - Traded for Mitchell White

01 - Gardiner, S Johnson

02 - Lonergan

03 - Thurley

04 - Didn't have one but took Prismall at 32

05 - Didn't have one but took West and Owen in the 30s

Maybe we should have traded our 2nd rounder but that hasn't seemed to of worked either!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back