Opinion Is Buddy's nine year contract finally coming back to haunt the Swans?

Is Buddy's nine year contract finally haunting the Swans?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the contract was a little too short, myself..

Maybe clarko should get the band back together and sign budwah up for a few years?
:)

The hawks would be flush with cap space!

You can have roughy and frawley back from us too- roughys a ripper but keeps breaking our players legs at training.... and frawley needs a zimmer frame.

Maybe clarko should get the band back together and sign budwah up for a few years?
:)

The hawks would be flush with cap space!

You can have roughy and frawley back from us too- roughys a ripper but keeps breaking our players legs at training.... and frawley needs a zimmer frame.
Why dont you hand them back Brad Hill then? ;)

I decided to quote most of you as some of your teams are EPL teams or any high profile soccer clubs in Europe.

I am going to mention a name. David Beckham.

What does David Beckham have to do with this Buddy Franklin thread..... Read on.

David Beckham played for Manchester united from 1992-2003. The EPL went from a national comp with a national following to one of the most watched leagues in the world.

at one point, Beckhams relationship with Manager/Coach Sir Alex Ferguson was almost a father son relationship and it looked liked Beckham would spend his whole playing career at Man united.

Now this is where it gets intersting. Beckham had a massive falling out with Sir Alex. Beckham wanted to get sold.

Real Madrid wanted Beckham. This Was a Real Madrid side that won Champions League titles in 1998, 2000 and 2002.

This was basically the height of the 1st gereraton of the "Galaticos" era of 1998-2006. It was an era where Real Madrid Bought one world class player a season that was also marketable and Sold shirts.

In 2000, Madrid Bought Luis Figo from bitter rivals from Barcelona. In 2001, Real Madrid Bought Zinedine Zedane for around 70 million euros, a massive amount of monet at the time. In 2002, Real Madrid bought Ronaldo (The Brazilian one, not the portugese one) fresh off winning a world cup trophy for Brazil.

Then in 2003, David Beckham was transferred from Man united for only 25 million pounds, in Which in Retrospect was a Bargain as he should of been sold for double. But it was 50-50... It was just about Man United getting rid of Beckham as Madrid wanting beckham.

Real Madrid knew what they were getting with Beckham. He was not only a decent player, but one of the most recognizeabble players on earth. Which means a marketable person which draws merchandise sales, especially selling real madrid shirts with the David Beckham name on the back of it. He was constantly mobbed everywhere he went, especially in the 2002 world cup where japan and south korea hosted that tournament. Beckham was signed to Real Madrid on July 1st 2003. Real Madrid also had some Pre season games in some Asian Countries to cash in on David Beckhams popularity in Asia.

go look at this recently uploaded video of David Beckham going from Man united to Real madrid. at the 8 minute mark.... It shows the amount Money Real Madrid generated. In 2001, they brought in 93.2 million pounds. In 2005, Real Madrid brought in 186.4 million pounds.

David Beckham only played 4 seasons in Real Madrid and only won just the one La Liga title. So in that 2003-7 period when David Beckham was there. They only won the league in that 2006-7 season.

So in Short.... was David Beckham a success in Real Madrid? Trophy wise in a way as they got at least 1 La Liga title. But Financially it was a resounding success. I mean 25 million pounds to Sign David Beckham. Thinking the amount of David Beckham shirts Real Madrid sold from 2003-7. Madrid could of Bought him for 50 million pounds and still would of made a huge profit, especially in the Asian Market of China, Japan and South Korea.

You are probably wandering what this has to do with Buddy franklin. I know you hawks posters such as Xtreme and HairyO will bring up the flags or lack there of. There is one positive that came out of this.

Buddy Franklin had a similar impact to Tony Lockett when he signed to the swans from 1995-1999. They both got paid well. But in return Both blokes drew money for the sydney swans. Both in Drawing crowds which mean more money to the swans and the AFL. Also they both drew merchandise sales in caps, scarves and shirts.

Beckham may be relevant if we didnt have salary caps and teams could spend as much as they wanted so making billions from memberships and jumper sales mattered more.

I decided to quote most of you as some of your teams are EPL teams or any high profile soccer clubs in Europe.

I am going to mention a name. David Beckham.

What does David Beckham have to do with this Buddy Franklin thread..... Read on.

David Beckham played for Manchester united from 1992-2003. The EPL went from a national comp with a national following to one of the most watched leagues in the world.

at one point, Beckhams relationship with Manager/Coach Sir Alex Ferguson was almost a father son relationship and it looked liked Beckham would spend his whole playing career at Man united.

Now this is where it gets intersting. Beckham had a massive falling out with Sir Alex. Beckham wanted to get sold.

Real Madrid wanted Beckham. This Was a Real Madrid side that won Champions League titles in 1998, 2000 and 2002.

This was basically the height of the 1st gereraton of the "Galaticos" era of 1998-2006. It was an era where Real Madrid Bought one world class player a season that was also marketable and Sold shirts.

In 2000, Madrid Bought Luis Figo from bitter rivals from Barcelona. In 2001, Real Madrid Bought Zinedine Zedane for around 70 million euros, a massive amount of monet at the time. In 2002, Real Madrid bought Ronaldo (The Brazilian one, not the portugese one) fresh off winning a world cup trophy for Brazil.

Then in 2003, David Beckham was transferred from Man united for only 25 million pounds, in Which in Retrospect was a Bargain as he should of been sold for double. But it was 50-50... It was just about Man United getting rid of Beckham as Madrid wanting beckham.

Real Madrid knew what they were getting with Beckham. He was not only a decent player, but one of the most recognizeabble players on earth. Which means a marketable person which draws merchandise sales, especially selling real madrid shirts with the David Beckham name on the back of it. He was constantly mobbed everywhere he went, especially in the 2002 world cup where japan and south korea hosted that tournament. Beckham was signed to Real Madrid on July 1st 2003. Real Madrid also had some Pre season games in some Asian Countries to cash in on David Beckhams popularity in Asia.

go look at this recently uploaded video of David Beckham going from Man united to Real madrid. at the 8 minute mark.... It shows the amount Money Real Madrid generated. In 2001, they brought in 93.2 million pounds. In 2005, Real Madrid brought in 186.4 million pounds.

David Beckham only played 4 seasons in Real Madrid and only won just the one La Liga title. So in that 2003-7 period when David Beckham was there. They only won the league in that 2006-7 season.

So in Short.... was David Beckham a success in Real Madrid? Trophy wise in a way as they got at least 1 La Liga title. But Financially it was a resounding success. I mean 25 million pounds to Sign David Beckham. Thinking the amount of David Beckham shirts Real Madrid sold from 2003-7. Madrid could of Bought him for 50 million pounds and still would of made a huge profit, especially in the Asian Market of China, Japan and South Korea.

You are probably wandering what this has to do with Buddy franklin. I know you hawks posters such as Xtreme and HairyO will bring up the flags or lack there of. There is one positive that came out of this.

Buddy Franklin had a similar impact to Tony Lockett when he signed to the swans from 1995-1999. They both got paid well. But in return Both blokes drew money for the sydney swans. Both in Drawing crowds which mean more money to the swans and the AFL. Also they both drew merchandise sales in caps, scarves and shirts.

Problem is that’s not much helpful footy wise in the salary cap era.

Oh yeah I forgot about him.

He played like hawthorn brad hill (ok but fringe player) last year when infact we paid for the platinum freo model!

If he keeps playing like the hawthorn model they can have him back too!
Mate, don't palm this off on HFC, when we let him go he was working perfectly. Whatever Freo and you blokes have done to him is your own responsibility.

But honestly he's too good to have two down years in a row. Chock full of confidence, that kid.

Beckham may be relevant if we didnt have salary caps and teams could spend as much as they wanted so making billions from memberships and jumper sales mattered more.
Problem is that’s not much helpful footy wise in the salary cap era.
Probably not as helpful in the salary cap era but having more money still has some Advantages.

Compare the money draws Richmond and Collingwood make to the likes of North and Dogs.

The point is you buy a player, make money in shirt sales to buy better players to compete with trophies.

Probably not as helpful in the salary cap era but having more money still has some Advantages.

Compare the money draws Richmond and Collingwood make to the likes of North and Dogs.

The point is you buy a player, make money in shirt sales to buy better players to compete with trophies.

Dogs have won a flag more recently than Collingwood.

The salary cap is a massive equaliser. As is the draw. Saints will most likely be up and about this year as well as the Dogs.

Dogs have won a flag more recently than Collingwood.

The salary cap is a massive equaliser. As is the draw. Saints will most likely be up and about this year as well as the Dogs.

Salary cap is a massive equalizer? Yes it is.

The fixture? Debatable as some People to this day are fuming about Richmonds 2019 flag as they had 7 games in a row at the MCG before finals. Same with Collingwood in 2010 to a lesser degree.

Draft picks? Yes to a degree provide you use them wisely. Bottom placed side gets the 1st pick, that means the earliest access to the Best talent to help them up the ladder. Or use that pick to trade for a decent player or 2 to help improve the side.

It's not a draw, it is a fixture and it is not an equalisation measure, some clubs benefit and some don't irrespective of ladder position.
The fixturing of the extra 5 games (the double ups) is meant to partly be an equalisation measure. The top 6 are meant to only get 1 second game vs a previous bottom 6 side just to make it that much tougher for them.
Doesn't always work due to climbers/fallers, but the equalisation measure is in place.

The fixturing of the extra 5 games (the double ups) is meant to partly be an equalisation measure. The top 6 are meant to only get 1 second game vs a previous bottom 6 side just to make it that much tougher for them.
Doesn't always work due to climbers/fallers, but the equalisation measure is in place.

Partly but there are all sorts of distortions there, some clubs almost never host other clubs etc. Anyway this is OT, looking forward to Buddy taking out the bins in April!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he had gone to GWS like it was intended at the time, I wonder if GWS would be stuck with the contract, or would the AFL have changed the rules for them??

If he had gone to GWS like it was intended at the time, I wonder if GWS would be stuck with the contract, or would the AFL have changed the rules for them??

I think from memory the GWS contract was for 8 years not 10 and the dollars per year were roughly the same. The swans shocked the AFL and the AFL then in retaliation for them not getting what they wanted banned them from trading for 2 years. Also likely why the afl put the hard and fast rule on that the swans would be paying the entirety of the contract out of the salary cap as normally if a player retires due to injury they may be paid out but it doesn't count in the salary cap.

And what has that got to do with it?

As I said, love watching Buddy, but I could never justify a 10 year contract for any 26-27 year old.

He was worth the $mill+ per year, just not for 10. No-one is.
Just jokin Joyce. I don't think Buddy was a waste of money, there are many many players on big money over years, Buddy's was big true.
But he was a freak at this game. You could ask the question of buying players with any club , and how would GWS and GC17 feel about the gifts they were given to exist, I'd have to ask are they having their whole existence coming back to haunt them.There is no more moolah in the till, and maybe not the player pool either.
Although, we may see this year with the new stand the mark "statue" rule, make possessions real easy, and they've been getting easier for several years now.
Of all the rule changes that the AFL have become constantly famous for , or infamous, this one about standing the mark will, if it is a disaster maybe the first new rule that the AFL has to in season kill.
But our game has been mutilated by rule changes, its not the game it was, and here we are once again trying to ease up contest and collision, and we 're talking about poor old millionaire Buddy. I hope it doesn't bring the slaughterhouse of scoring one way thats all.

Just jokin Joyce. I don't think Buddy was a waste of money, there are many many players on big money over years, Buddy's was big true.
But he was a freak at this game. You could ask the question of buying players with any club , and how would GWS and GC17 feel about the gifts they were given to exist, I'd have to ask are they having their whole existence coming back to haunt them.There is no more moolah in the till, and maybe not the player pool either.
Although, we may see this year with the new stand the mark "statue" rule, make possessions real easy, and they've been getting easier for several years now.
Of all the rule changes that the AFL have become constantly famous for , or infamous, this one about standing the mark will, if it is a disaster maybe the first new rule that the AFL has to in season kill.
But our game has been mutilated by rule changes, its not the game it was, and here we are once again trying to ease up contest and collision, and we 're talking about poor old millionaire Buddy. I hope it doesn't bring the slaughterhouse of scoring one way thats all.
Well Richmond Carlton didn't seem affected by the "statue" rule, might have to watch a bit longer, it may be alright, never thought I'd say that, about the rule-changing AFL!

Ambassador payments paid by the AFL.

In retrospect it's hard to imagine why Buddy's contract needed to be so long.. it must have been a pretty tempting offer from GWS/headquarters, and I suppose back-ending was the only way Sydney could imagine to manage to compete with it.

Ambassador payments paid by the AFL.

In retrospect it's hard to imagine why Buddy's contract needed to be so long.. it must have been a pretty tempting offer from GWS/headquarters, and I suppose back-ending was the only way Sydney could imagine to manage to compete with it.

They wanted it so big so they didnt have to trade.

IMO the big problem for the Swans was not Buddy and his contract.

Rather it was the useless Tippett and his contract.
Tippett wasn’t useless, he was just terribly injury-prone (which in itself is maybe a failing of the Swans recruiters- I don’t know what his injury history was like at the Crows).

When he was in good nick he was awesome for us.

A fit and firing Tippett next to Buddy would have been a very different situation for us to all be looking back at now.

Last edited:
How did Buddy play today? From highlights played during half time of the Port v Essendon game, he kicked one pearler from outside 50 and received two gimmes from teammates who could have kicked goals themselves.

Back