Opinion Is Charlie Curnow underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Every thread by old Sweepy has to be a cringe worthy reference to Dustin Martin or an attempt to downplay current/former Geelong players. This one especially is aimed to fire the flames on the recent Geelong/Carlton supporter exchanges he has no doubt jotted down on his little notepad.

Transparent as usual.

Explain how I denigrated Hawkins? I just posted his stats. For you to take it that way, you know they aren’t that great either.

You have spent the last 24h calling him trash in the other thread so I had pencilled you in to make a thread involving him imminently. You did not disappoint.

In the banter thread? Yeah because it’s banter.

Maybe you should’ve told him kicked more goals and I wouldn’t be mentioning it.

Reckon he'd kick 100 if he had a bit more class further afield kicking to him. Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy etc are good players for many reasons but lacing out KPF's on the lead isn't one of them.

Not sure how Hawkins has been struggling with Miers, Close and Stengle kicking it to him this year. Absolute silver service from those guys.

In the banter thread? Yeah because it’s banter.

Maybe you should’ve told him kicked more goals and I wouldn’t be mentioning it.
To answer your original question, I don't think Curnow is underrated.

Superstar of the comp since he got his body right for 2022, after showing good potential in 2018/2019 and having 2020/2021 derailed by injury.

It's a pointless discussion until closer to the end of his career since his elite seasons have only started recently but could easily continue for another 5 years.

Reckon he'd kick 100 if he had a bit more class further afield kicking to him. Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy etc are good players for many reasons but lacing out KPF's on the lead isn't one of them.

Not sure how Hawkins has been struggling with Miers, Close and Stengle kicking it to him this year. Absolute silver service from those guys.
might have something to do with the fact he turns 36 this season and his athletic profile clearly isnt what it used to be

Not everything has to be about Geelong, mate. It's becoming a common theme lately.

might have something to do with the fact he turns 36 this season and his athletic profile clearly isnt what it used to be

To be truthful, he is playing really no different to how he has the past 18 months. He has not been moving well for a while and it's really been the inclusion of Cameron which has allowed him to keep get isolation with his defender where he has always won those fair share of wrestling duels.

Cameron's now roaming much further up the ground and Hawkins is being exposed. Would have looked the same had Cameron been playing up the field in his first season at the club.

Geelong need a true power forward who can bust open packs and this is where Shannon Neale (unproven) could impact the remaining months of Hawkins' career.

To be truthful, he is playing really no different to how he has the past 18 months. He has not been moving well for a while and it's really been the inclusion of Cameron which has allowed him to keep get isolation with his defender where he has always won those fair share of wrestling duels.

Cameron's now roaming much further up the ground and Hawkins is being exposed. Would have looked the same had Cameron been playing up the field in his first season at the club.

Geelong need a true power forward who can bust open packs and this is where Shannon Neale (unproven) could impact the remaining months of Hawkins' career.
Agree. He doesn't look to have slowed down that much this year, just now being isolated vs the best defenders in the comp who are causing him more issues. With Jezza's form and the rest of the forward line functioning the way it is it would be tough to change things up from how they currently are just to try and get him more involved.

Agree. He doesn't look to have slowed down that much this year, just now being isolated vs the best defenders in the comp who are causing him more issues. With Jezza's form and the rest of the forward line functioning the way it is it would be tough to change things up from how they currently are just to try and get him more involved.

It will change once Dangerfield returns but for the meantime, Cameron will continue to help out around the ground.

His hands.

That’s what has been noticeable.

He’s dropping easy marks when he DOES get opportunities. He’s missing ground balls (not that it’s ever been a strength) that he would normally take easily, and his general skills with his hands seem to have deserted him. Maybe it’s a confidence thing I don’t know because you would assume for a guy like him that it’s one thing he wouldn’t have to worry about but it’s been very noticeable as someone who watches him closely

Neither underrated or overrated.
He's a gun who would have had an even higher standing in the game had he not sustained chronic knee issues. His body finally came right at 25yrs of age and hasn't looked back since.

On the flip side, Harry McKay is overrated.
Preached as a Coleman medalist who only tallied 58 goals that season. Continually drifts in and out of games and he's no longer a young buck. Turns 27 this year so should be ripping games to shreds if he's as good as what Blues supporters say he is.
Harry having a better season than Jeremy Cameron & Charlie Curnow.
His season has been underrated by most. Stats back it up.
Comfortably the best CHF in the comp this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless he wins a premiership he will be remembered as a slightly better Fevola, which is still a ridiculously good player.

But I think he can leave a greater legacy like Hawkins has.
He already is better than fevola. Curnow doesnt get drunk on Brownlow nights lol

Say what.? Give me Tommy gun Hawkins every day of the week and twice on Sundays , won the Cats that many games , including finals and a GF off his own boot , against my beloved Pies also , :(. Curnow is an amazing athlete, Hawkins is an amazingly gifted footballer , has been for a very long time .

What? Curnow is a freak footballer moreso than he is athlete. He had 2.5 years off then came and won the Coleman. 2.5 years without practicing any forward craft, leading patterns or skills... then wins the Coleman. You know how hard it is to kick multiple goals every week and know your way around down there?

Just so happens he's a freak athlete too.

Having said all that he has a long way to catch Hawkins though. He's had 2 Colemans but Hawkins has played in 350+ games & won 4 flags (1 of which he dragged them over the line).

One aspect is he is a bit underrated in terms of a sex symbol

He is much more attractive then say Bailey Smith. Better footballer too.

Surprised he isnt marketed more and doesnt appear in more ads

One aspect is he is a bit underrated in terms of a sex symbol

He is much more attractive then say Bailey Smith. Better footballer too.

Surprised he isnt marketed more and doesnt appear in more ads

It’s the Sideshow Bob hair that’s holding him back for those ads

I think he is rated fine.
He is a damn fine player, who if was allowed to play a Cameron role and move up the ground, could be anything.

Strong, good mark, great field kick and kicks goals, as well as go behind the ball when needed.

Highly rated and so he should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back