Opinion Is it time for some clubs to re-name their Best & Fairest awards?

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be very little information regarding the history of the Saints B&F award which perhaps some Saints fans could fill in.

But it seems that it was renamed the John Barker Award in the 1990s, so relatively recent in terms of their history.

Was it the C T Suhr medal before that and they changed it from one person to another in their honour? Or was it simply referred to as the B&F prior to its current name?

Either way, again it suggests clubs will make changes over time which may be reflective of their more recent history and those involved.

I can’t comment on what it was called beforehand but as a st.kilda supporter I feel it is our honour as a club to name it after the person I believe embodies everything what it is to be a legend of a club.

The St Kilda best & fairest isn't named after Trevor Barker because of his career stats, although those are pretty good. Trevor embodied St Kilda, his passion, his loyalty, his attitude, his overcoming adversity. It doesn't matter that he retired decades ago and died before most, if not all, of our current players were born, there never will be another like him and for all intents and purposes he is our club.

We actually do have awards named after Robert Harvey (best clubman) and Lenny Hayes (best team mate) so we are honoring our more recent stars, but the Best and Fairest will never be renamed. Tradition is important to a club as old as ours, and you can't just wipe it away.

There has been a number of clubs which have changed the name of their B&F over time.

Not taking anything away from their achievements, however in 50/75 years time when know one knows who these people are, is there a point they will change?

A number of them are from the old VFA days, should they be hold this honour forever over others who may have done a lot more for the club or game since?

Tradition changes as we see with different gurnseys, team songs, moved home grounds etc. Clubs change over time.
Not a single clubs B&F is named after a VFA player, with the possible exception of Syd Barker at North Melbourne.

If you don't know the history of the best players in the competition just because they played a long time before you were born, that's on you. Educate yourself, don't expect clubs to disrespect their histories because of your lack of knowledge.

Not a single clubs B&F is named after a VFA player, with the possible exception of Syd Barker at North Melbourne.

don't expect clubs to disrespect their histories because of your lack of knowledge.

Both North Melbourne and Collingwoods B&F has links back the the VFA.

Syd Barker played much of his career in the VFA and the Copeland trophy is named after Ern Copeland who was the secretary at the club in 1895 when they were still a part of the VFA.

Also, if you actually read the thread no where have I asked or “expected” that clubs should change. The question was asked for opinions on IF they should and IF they were re named, who would be suitable to hold the honour.

There's some newspaper clippings from 46 calling it the 'C T Suhr Memorial' trophy, with a runner up trophy called the 'Stuart King' memorial. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/22387675 I find it it fascinating the drop off of names since then and the Trevor Barker medal, really.

That’s an excellent find that article.

It’s odd that there doesn’t seem to be any mention anywhere outside of that and or any info even on who C T Suhr was.

Odd that if their B&F was name in his memory that it’s almost like it’s been removed from their history?

The Crichton Medal is the only legacy left of Wally Crichton. The other legacy he had was the Crichton Stand in the outer at Windy Hill where the bowls club now is.

I think topics like this are important because any time footy history is talked about, it is important.

Having looked into Wally after not ever knowing too much about who he was, I see he got involved in the administration side of the club after loosing his leg in the Great War.

Do we know what Wally was like as a player beforehand or if he would have made a name for himself in his own right as a player if not for loosing his leg?

Not really knowing the history behind other clubs naming their B&F, I don't have an opinion on whether they should be renamed.

What does annoy me though is the media referring to pretty much every club's winner as 'Best and Fairest winner' yet they harp on about Collingwood B&F winners winning the Copeland like it's some sort of pinnacle award in the competition.

No disrespect to the bloke but the Collingwood B&F winner doesn't need to be regarded as some higher being than the lowly plebs from other clubs by the Vic media.

Decent call, never really thought about that. Not far off, I reckon, no club B&F is as immediately identifiable by one name as the Copeland and I'm not really sure why or when it happened. I reckon I probably wouldn't have had any idea what it was called 10-15 years ago, so I guess say what you want about Eddie, he can market the Pies. Maybe the Skilton is the next closest... and that'd probably a byproduct of Bob Skilton having a mortgage on the award when he played.

But in short, Gold Coast and (probably) GWS will change over the next 10 years organically. The others, no. Not unless there's some kind of Joe Paterno disgrace attached to the person it's currently named after. If a B&F was named after Tom Wills maybe the ABC report today would be enough to (eventually) do it.

Changing the name would show greater recognition of clubs recent history rather than some going back to the 1920s/30s. As we can see below, some of the clubs have named their awards after player who I’m sure had a huge significance at their club, but may have since had others go well and truly past them in terms of influence and achievements.

It's the older histories going back to the 1920s and 30s that need to be remembered. Most football clubs have been around for over 100 years, and even some of the recent new franchises (eg Adelaide, Fremantle) have some connections with clubs, players, administrators and fans going back to past eras.

Looking over the names of all the clubs B&F awards, it appears from the outside that some are named after players who in comparison to others, have received significantly fewer playing or coaching accolades over their careers for their respective clubs.

I mean no disrespect to these past players and they have obviously had huge impacts on their clubs and the development of the game in their own rights. However, is it time for a changing of the guard for some teams and who would you name it after for your club?

Changing the name would show greater recognition of clubs recent history rather than some going back to the 1920s/30s. As we can see below, some of the clubs have named their awards after player who I’m sure had a huge significance at their club, but may have since had others go well and truly past them in terms of influence and achievements.

I dont know the full stories behind a number of these players who have had the award named after them or the significane they played at their club, however I would argue that perhaps Melbourne, Bulldogs, Geelong, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Essendon and Collingwood would all have past players deserving of the award being being changed in their name.

Melbourne:
Keith William "Bluey" Truscott
44 games and 31 goals
Enlisted in the RAAF in WW2

Bulldogs:
Charlie Sutton (42-56)
173 games 65 goals playing
162 games as coach
1x B&F, 1 x club Leading Goal kicker, Bulldogs Premiership coach

Port Adelaide:
John Cahill (58-73)
264 games 286 goals
624 games coached (inc Coll 47, West Ade 69 and South Ade 20)
4 x Premiership player, 4 x B&F, 1 x club Leading Goal kicker, 10 x Port Premiership coach,

Geelong
Carji Greeves (23-33)
124 games 17 goals
2 x VFL premiership player, 1924 Brownlow medalist (first awarded)

Swans:
Bon Skilton (56-71)
237 Games 412 goals
3 x Brownlow, 9 x B&F, 3 x club Leading Goal kicker

North Melbourne
-Syd Barker (1907-27)
-68 games 25 goals. VFA/VFL (57 Essendon)
-61 games coaches (43 Essendon)
-4 x Nth premiership player, 2 x Essendon Premiership Coach

Hawthorn
-Peter Crimmins (66-75)
-176 games 231 goals
-1 x Premiership player
-Tragically passed away aged 28 with testicular cancer

St Kilda
-Trevor Barker (75-89)
-230 games 134 goals
-2 x B&F

Fremantle
-George Doig (33-45)
-202 games 1095 goals
-3 x premiership player, 6 x WA LG, 9 x club Leading Goal kicker

West Coast
-John Worsfold (86-98)
-233 games 41 goals
-387 games coach (281 WCE)
-1 x B&F, 2 x Premiership player, 1 x Premiership coach

Adelaide
-Malcolm Blight (68-82)
-330 games 786 goals
-364 games coach (74 with Ade)
-2 x VFL premiership player, Brownlow medalist, Coleman medalist, 4 x North Leading Goal kicker, Margery medal, Ken farmer medal, 2 x AFL premiership coach (Ade)

Carlton
-John Nicholls (57-74)
-328 Games, 307 Goals
-97 Games coach of Carlton
-3 X VFL Premiership player, 5 x B&F, 1 X Simpson Medal, Carlton's first 300 game player and 1 X Premiership Coach

Richmond
-Jack Dyer (31-49)
-311 Games, 443 Goals
-222 Games coach of Richmond
-2 X VFL Premiership Player, 5 X B&F, 2 x club Leading Goal kicker, 1X VFL Premiership Coach

Essendon
-Wally Crichton
-No games played
-Essendon committee member 1926-31, Vice President 32-40, President 41-59 and VFL Delegate 34-58

GWS
-Kevin Sheedy (67-79)
-251 Games, 91 Goals (Richmond)
-634 Games Coach (Essendon), 44 GWS Coach
-Inaugural GWS Coach, 3 x VFL Premiership Player, 1 X B&F, 4 X V/AFL Premiership Coach

Gold Coast
-Simply referred to as 'Club Champion Award'

Brisbane
-Merrett-Murray
-Merrett (78-96) / Murray (55-66)
-Merrett 313 Games, 433 Goals (149 Essendon, 164 Brisbane Bears)
-Murray 377 Games, 71 Goals (333 Fitzroy, 44 East Perth)
-Merrett awards - VFL Gardiner Medal, 2 x Essendon Premiership player, 3 x Brisbane Bears Leading Goal kicker
-Murray awards - 1 x Brownlow medalist, 9 X Fitzroy B&F, 2 X All Australian, East Perth B&F

Collingwood
-Copeland Trophy
-Named after Ern Copeland who was the club secretary in 1895, retiring in 1924.

Your right about 2 things... 1/ you're looking from the outside and 2/ you don't know the full story.

Your right about 2 things... 1/ you're looking from the outside and 2/ you don't know the full story.

It’s not to hard to imagine that clubs change over the years and decades.

Just look at the history of the Bulldogs B&F.

“The medal is named after 1950 winner Charlie Sutton, who was the Bulldogs' 1954 premiership captain-coach. There were many previous names for the medal, which was originally known as the McCarthy Trophy from 1927 to 1939, named after Con McCarthy, who played a key part in getting the club entry into the Victorian Football League. It was also called the Con Weickhardt trophy (also known as the Con Curtain trophy) from 1940 to 1954. It was renamed to its current name in 1955“.

So it went from the McCarthy trophy, to the Con Weickhardt trophy, to the Charlie Sutton medal all in the space of 30 years.

In 2004, Carlton changed the name of their B&F from a club administrator to John Nicholls.

There seems to be some very limited info that the Saints B&F was previously the Suhr trophy before the 90s.

There is references to the Geelong B&F previously being named the Theo Lewis Cup before the Carji Greeves medal too.

If it was acceptable to change the names of the awards for some clubs then, why is it to hard to imagine it could again?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both North Melbourne and Collingwoods B&F has links back the the VFA.

Syd Barker played much of his career in the VFA and the Copeland trophy is named after Ern Copeland who was the secretary at the club in 1895 when they were still a part of the VFA.

Also, if you actually read the thread no where have I asked or “expected” that clubs should change. The question was asked for opinions on IF they should and IF they were re named, who would be suitable to hold the honour.

Which is why I said "the possible exception of". And Copeland was an administrator, not a player. And, while he did begin his career at Collingwood in 1895, the VFL started up after the 1896 season, and he was at Collingwood for almost 30 years. Either way, the reason the trophy is named after him is because he donated it to the club. In 1932, long after the Magpies short VFA stay.

I actually did read the thread, and my comment stands. None of the 12 clubs that originated in Victoria are going to change the name of their B&F because the players or administrators they are named in honor of retired a long time ago. For a supporter of a club that loves to brag about it's history, it seems disrespectful to even ask this question.

None of the 12 clubs that originated in Victoria are going to change the name of their B&F because the players or administrators they are named in honor of retired a long time ago.

If that was the case, why then have multiple Victorian clubs already changed the names of their awards in the past?

If they have done it before, there is no reason they won’t again. Might not be today but in another 50 years when connections to those players is lost, wouldn’t be surprised to see clubs change.

At the moment many feel such a strong connection to those the awards are named after as they may have watched them growing up and idolised them. However supporters in 50 years won’t have that connection and yes it’s history, but history also shows they will change at times.

I think it is naive to assume they will never change again when history says otherwise.

There seems to be some very limited info that the Saints B&F was previously the Suhr trophy before the 90s.

Literally the only thing I can find that says this is a tiny article in a 1946 copy of The Argus that notes that Keith Rosewarne won the C.T. Suhr Memorial Best and Fairest. They also mentioned a name for the Runners Up trophy, also In Memoriam for someone. This appears nowhere in the clubs official history, and they specifically state the club Best and Fairest was unnamed until after 1996.

It could easily be suggested that that particular award was named in honor of C.T Suhr (a person who I have literally no information on otherwise), possibly due to a donation of money or the trophy itself from his or her will, which wasn't uncommon at that time.

Last edited:
If that was the case, why then have multiple Victorian clubs already changed the names of their awards in the past?

If they have done it before, there is no reason they won’t again. Might not be today but in another 50 years when connections to those players is lost, wouldn’t be surprised to see clubs change.

At the moment many feel such a strong connection to those the awards are named after as they may have watched them growing up and idolised them. However supporters in 50 years won’t have that connection and yes it’s history, but history also shows they will change at times.

I think it is naive to assume they will never change again when history says otherwise.
The only award that has changed from one name to another in the last 75 years is Carltons, and the reasoning given is sound, that a club champion player is a better representation of a best and fairest medal than an administrator. I can't see them changing the name to the Chris Judd trophy in 50 years based on the same reasoning.

You are starting here that many people grew up watching and admiring the current honorees, but in other posts have said the players are from an era too far back in history and nobody remembers them. So which is it?

By this reasoning, the Brownlow should be renamed as well, because the man himself played in an era before most current players grandfathers were born.

This seems like such a pointless thing to get riled up over, to be honest. There are far more immediate things going on in football to concern ourselves with

Literally the only thing I can find that says this is a tiny article in a 1946 copy of The Argus that notes that Keith Rosewarne won the C.T. Memorial Best and Fairest. They also mentioned a name for the Runners Up trophy, also In Memoriam for someone. This appears nowhere in the clubs official history, and they specifically state the club Best and Fairest was unnamed until after 1996.

It could easily be suggested that that particular award was named in honor of C.T Suhr (a person who I have literally no information on otherwise), possibly due to a donation of money or the trophy itself from his or her will, which wasn't uncommon at that time.

The only additional info I have found on a C T Suhr is a Charles Suhr who played a game for the Saints (and Melbourne) in 1911. Seems records of him essentially don’t exist but there was a page that mentioned he was a club president at some stage? However no further details on who he was or how long he was involved with the club. He was born in 1885 so could have been involved with the club somewhere right in the early days before records were kept.

The only award that has changed from one name to another in the last 75 years is Carltons, and the reasoning given is sound, that a club champion player is a better representation of a best and fairest medal than an administrator. I can't see them changing the name to the Chris Judd trophy in 50 years based on the same reasoning.

You are starting here that many people grew up watching and admiring the current honorees, but in other posts have said the players are from an era too far back in history and nobody remembers them. So which is it?

By this reasoning, the Brownlow should be renamed as well, because the man himself played in an era before most current players grandfathers were born.

This seems like such a pointless thing to get riled up over, to be honest. There are far more immediate things going on in football to concern ourselves with

Many others in this thread have raised they would be happy for the Brownlow to be renamed due to the game having evolved so much. So by that logic as well, others also agree names and awards change throughout time.

The Western Bulldogs also changed their B&F 3 times over a 30 years period before settling on the Charlie Sutton medal. Just saying, it has happened.

In some instances yes, some of the players being honoured are well before any of our times now, such as Greeves in the 20s, Syd Baker 1900s.

Then in another 30-50 years, the likes of Jack Dyer, Skilton, Sutton and co would have played the game over 100 years ago. Those are the types that currently some people remember fondly watching as kids and have that extra connection to and memories. Those connections will likely be lost over the next number of decades. Just as nobody now sits around saying how great it was to watch Greeves and Baker, as it was well before any of our time.

It doesn’t change the influence those guys had or their achievements, however those connections from fans to player will be lost over time.

This thread is a good example of stats not telling the story, especially when you are including local football matches for some and only top-level for others.

I like that Gold Coast have yet to name the B&F award, and the AFLW have not named their equivalent of the Brownlow and Norm Smith. It seems they are both waiting for someone to earn the honor, which can only come from history.

The Giants and their "Kevin Sheedy Medal" is one of the most cringeworthy things in football. Some AFL marketing working group came up with a terrible name for the club, a terrible song and prematurely named their B&F after someone who is not remembered for his association with the cub. They made a poor attempt to manufacture history and culture. A bit like the ridiculous Brett Kirk medal awarded for The Battle of the bridge.
Agree with all of this, apart from the bit about the "terrible" GWS song.
The Giants have one of the best songs. Much better than Melbourne's song.

Having looked into Wally after not ever knowing too much about who he was, I see he got involved in the administration side of the club after loosing his leg in the Great War.

Do we know what Wally was like as a player beforehand or if he would have made a name for himself in his own right as a player if not for loosing his leg?
Would that change what he contributed to the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back