Is Matt Rendell still on our books?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jen - you know what, even if the supporters were pathetic... is it appropriate behaviour for the CEO to label them as such publically?
Does that serve the cause of the club?

I'd strongly answer no. That statement has cost him alot of respect from the supporter base. It has lost him alot of 'slack' you are asking that we give him.

Would he say the same thing again if given the chance? I'd suggest not. Accuracy is irrelevant.

No, absolutely not. And like I said, he regretted it. But I asked Carl this question, I'll ask you. Ever made a mistake? And I'm not talking your petty everyday stuff ups, I'm talking something that probably mattered a fair deal.

No, absolutely not. And like I said, he regretted it. But I asked Carl this question, I'll ask you. Ever made a mistake? And I'm not talking your petty everyday stuff ups, I'm talking something that probably mattered a fair deal.

You say he regrets it, fair enough - he didn't apologise though. What's more relevant, the mistakes that you make, or how you carry yourself afterwards?

You say he regrets it, fair enough - he didn't apologise though. What's more relevant, the mistakes that you make, or how you carry yourself afterwards?

Yep, fair point.:thumbsu:

And as I can see my opinion counts for nought in this, I think I'll withdraw from this one too. Sick of going in circles.

How is Trigg responsible for this one? The F/S rule was formulated at the time of Adelaide's entry into the AFL, long before Trigg ascended to the role of CEO. How can he possibly be responsible for a stuff-up which happened a decade or so before his appointment?[/quote]

Fair call Vader, my bad, this was before Triggy was CEO. (It was an AFC mistake).

The expansion team criticsm isnt really fair either imo.

As I understand it the 'panels' job was to ensure GC & GWS didnt become basket cases like Brisbane in the 80s, not so much what is fair for the AFC and rest of the competition.

This forum, above all else, shows how ****ing fickle supporters are. He's got people in here who think they know better than anyone else (who actually HAVE all the necessary information to make a decision) emailing him on a regular basis. Every time he pops out at training, there they are again. He generally handles it very well.

His "pathetic" line was a brain-fade of epic proportions, and I'm sure he wished he hadn't said it. But he was spot on. Some of our supporters ARE pathetic. Now that can be taken from either side of the fence too! But all clubs have em!

The thing is ST, most people in here take it for granted that they know ALL the facts of any given situation, when the reality is generally quite the opposite. Nobody knows how many times he's approached the AFL on issues we aren't happy with. Nobody knows what really went down between him and Matty Rendell but they are all damned quick with the condemnation none-the-less.

And the over-reaction with the "as far as the eye can see" throw away line was absolutely priceless.

There is literally no excuse for anyone involved in the running of a club to attack its fans.

He's not the 'gung-ho let's scream if from the roof tops' type of person. He is a methodical, professional getting the job done. Yes he makes mistakes, there's not many that don't. And yes, he's a mate, so I will always defend him and I realise that I may be biased in doing so. But no less biased than those opposed to him.

No **** that for a joke.

The fans are the sole reason that the AFL is a profitable league. Noone involved professionally should ever lash out at the fans, or act like they're better than them. They are privledged to be involved and able to profit and make a living from the sport.

Frankly, if he (or anyone involved in football) doesnt like the attention that comes with his role, he should step aside. They dont have a god given right to it, and the club and league wouldnt exist independent of the fans.

The arrogance involved in taking the attitude that fans are something to resent drives me nuts.

It should never happen, ever. Once is too many.

My worry is that is just a symptom of a normally hidden attitude that exists around the various sporting administrations in South Australia.

It might not be said publically often, but look at it within the context of the moves they make- logo changed despite fan outcry, told we'd get used to it. Exclusionary policy regarding shed admission. Members without voting rights.

I genuinely dont feel like the club I supports values me. I often infact feel like they're embarassed of me. That is perhaps the most disturbing feeling a sports fan can ever feel. Especially a fan of one that touts how inclusive it is.

And Jenny, remove Trigg the person from it. I dont know him personally, I dont wish to attack him as a person. I'm talking about the capacity which does relate to me- the football club capacity.

It should never happen, ever. Once is too many.

My worry is that is just a symptom of a normally hidden attitude that exists around the various sporting administrations in South Australia.

It might not be said publically often, but look at it within the context of the moves they make- logo changed despite fan outcry, told we'd get used to it. Exclusionary policy regarding shed admission. Members without voting rights.

I genuinely dont feel like the club I supports values me. I often infact feel like they're embarassed of me. That is perhaps the most disturbing feeling a sports fan can ever feel. Especially a fan of one that touts how inclusive it is.

And Jenny, remove Trigg the person from it. I dont know him personally, I dont wish to attack him as a person. I'm talking about the capacity which does relate to me- the football club capacity.

Thanks ST, I find it very hard to do that for obvious reasons. Of course you assume he is the only one making the decisions. I'm not sure that is right. I believe the board makes decisions, and he delivers them publicly. He also wears the blame. I guess that goes with the job.

A large component of his job is to be the public face of the board. If he is delivering their message in a way that insults the fans, even if it wasn't intended as such, then he has been derelict in his duties.

Personally I think people make a much bigger deal out of it than is necessary, but it certainly wasn't a great thing for him to say. I bet he wishes he had his time again there.

yeah a couple.

Can't think of one where I left it hanging and didn't seek to make amends.

Trigg acknowledged that he was blinkered in this regard. He had enormous faith in Craig. It wasn't until Sando arrived at the Club and re-invigorated the place that he recognised that this was exactly what we needed. He's learned from it for sure.
Sorry? When was this?

Like I said, we all make mistakes. Never made a mistake Carl?
Of course, and you pay the price.

Having no concept of where the club is at and what it needs... that's kind of integral to his role I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

has anyone else heard the rumor that MR is just about to sign with a Melb based club as their recruiting manager?

if true my guess would be the Demons as they currently have this role vacant

has anyone else heard the rumor that MR is just about to sign with a Melb based club as their recruiting manager?

if true my guess would be the Demons as they currently have this role vacant

You might be on to something.

FORMER Crows recruiting manager Matt Rendell has turned down an offer to join Port Adelaide.
Rendell is now expected to move to Melbourne where he has at least one Victorian-based club ready to hire him for his noted scouting of draft talent.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/rendell-refuses-power-offer/story-e6freco3-1226369664049

Sorry? When was this?

Of course, and you pay the price.

Having no concept of where the club is at and what it needs... that's kind of integral to his role I would have thought.

Late last year was the when. And if he continually stuffed up re club matters I'd agree, but on all other fronts he is doing a stellar job.

Well, there you go again.

We are a weak club. It is plain to see.

A waste of a space in a goldmine market.

About time we got bloodthirsty people at the top and put the skirts away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back