Analysis Is Melbourne in a proper crisis?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are exactly where we belong.

Our 5 losses have been 5 of the top 6.

All our wins have been against sides out of the 8, bar a cooked Collingwood.

The one thing I will say in our favour is we look fit as under Darren Burgess, and the only side in the 8 we have to play is St Kilda.

Melbourne are such a confidence-based side. I always thought that their talent far exceeded their performance in the last two years, but the only thing is that they seemed to drop their head too quickly. They need to keep that confidence up if they do end up losing another game in the remaining patch though because they have a lot of talent. It’s kinda why teams like West Coast and Richmond keep staying in the 8 because they have enough confidence in themselves to know that if they lose by 30+ points (which they both tend to do) one game, then they can easily bounce back the next week.

Agreed but hopefully that comes with maturity.

If they do make finals I still think they represent an easy kill for seasoned campaigners Richmond, Eagles, Lions, Cats and a fit Collingwood, and probably Port on form alone.

They could knock off other "newcomer" finals teams on their day like St Kilda, Bombers and wouldnt be without a shot on them.

If they do make finals I still think they represent an easy kill for seasoned campaigners Richmond, Eagles, Lions, Cats and a fit Collingwood, and probably Port on form alone.

They could knock off other "newcomer" finals teams on their day like St Kilda, Bombers and wouldnt be without a shot on them.

Why do we represent an easy kill?

Last time we made finals we knocked off seasoned campaigners in Hawthorn and Geelong.

Also how are Brisbane "seasoned campaigners"?

We are exactly where we belong.

Our 5 losses have been 5 of the top 6.

All our wins have been against sides out of the 8, bar a cooked Collingwood.

The one thing I will say in our favour is we look fit as under Darren Burgess, and the only side in the 8 we have to play is St Kilda.

Yep, I think you're better than Saints, Pies and everyone outside the top 8 but are still below the top 5 teams.

The signs for next year aren't bad though. Starting to look like 2019 was an aberration and you aren't collapsing, and instead just need to make some key improvements to challenge the best sides rather than needing a massive overhaul.

Why do we represent an easy kill?

Last time we made finals we knocked off seasoned campaigners in Hawthorn and Geelong.

Also how are Brisbane "seasoned campaigners"?
Because Melbourne are notoriously flakey and unreliable and have backed that up with their up and down results over the last few years. Brisbane arent finals newcomers, but they'd be playing at the Gabba with a crowd and with the benefit of being there before would back them against the Demons. Compared to say a fully fit GWS, the Demons would be a really favourable match up for the top 5 teams.

Because Melbourne are notoriously flakey and unreliable and have backed that up with their up and down results over the last few years. Brisbane arent finals newcomers, but they'd be playing at the Gabba with a crowd and with the benefit of being there before would back them against the Demons. Compared to say a fully fit GWS, the Demons would be a really favourable match up for the top 5 teams.

Not for a second am I suggesting the Lions aren't a good side, but they made top 4 off a 'bottom 6' draw last year, and haven't won a final since 2009.

"Seasoned campaigners"

Up until our injury riddled 2019 we had been trending upwards every year since the Roos/Goodwin era began and this year is currently heading upwards again, so that down you're talking about is currently looking like an outlier.

Melbourne’s list is built around these guys.

Salem 25
Petracca 24
Brayshaw 24
Lever 24
Langdon 24
Harmes 24
Weideman 23
Oliver 23
Fritsch 23

I said after we made the prelim in 2018 our window won’t open until 2021. Our 2017-2020 will be like Richmond’s 2013-2016.

Riewoldt 28, Rance 27, Cotchin 27, Martin 26, Grimes 26 When they won their first final in 2017.

Not for a second am I suggesting the Lions aren't a good side, but they made top 4 off a 'bottom 6' draw last year, and haven't won a final since 2009.

"Seasoned campaigners"
The season circumstances of 2020 probably give the Lions chances a boost though relative to other teams, hence they are still one of the favourites come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne’s problem is they’re safe no matter how bad it gets. Bottom with a horrendous coach and culture? No problem, have an AFL-appointed ceo and a blue-chip Media darling coach.

North, St Kilda, Bulldogs do not enjoy this luxury. It’s win or run the media gauntlet of being hounded into relocation or out of existence. Melbourne are never in this conversation. They are comfortable where they are.

This is still true

It’s amazing how fans won’t just acknowledge the obvious.

Adelaide - administrators and staff from the camp still in employed, many in positions of authority. Nobody can trust or bleed for the institution until they go.

Essendon - fanbase. There is no magic CEO or coach or captain or head of recruiting that can solve your fans’ expectations which currently resembles turn of the century Carlton

Melbourne - too safe. Fight for your life. Dogs, Saints, 90s North all had to find ways to win to survive. Melbourne can survive perpetually in mediocrity and nobody other than a niche fanbase will care.

Referencing wins and losses early in the season are largely irrelevant now. We're a very different side and so too would be the sides we played.

I look forward to the remainder of the year. It's nice to have your fortunes completely in your own hands.
And look at what they have gone and done, again.

Melbourne would now be up there with Carlton as clubs that consistently disappoint their fans year after year.

This is still true

It’s amazing how fans won’t just acknowledge the obvious.

Adelaide - administrators and staff from the camp still in employed, many in positions of authority. Nobody can trust or bleed for the institution until they go.

Essendon - fanbase. There is no magic CEO or coach or captain or head of recruiting that can solve your fans’ expectations which currently resembles turn of the century Carlton

Melbourne - too safe. Fight for your life. Dogs, Saints, 90s North all had to find ways to win to survive. Melbourne can survive perpetually in mediocrity and nobody other than a niche fanbase will care.
Hang on, you only need to look at the Melbourne board to understand we are acknowledging the obvious. There’s not many people there that are dusting off their ski jackets and heading to Japan for a month of skiing and not giving a rip. You watch how many members drop off after this debacle of a year.

People won’t continue to keep buying memberships. The perpetual mediocrity isn’t going to keep flying mate. Id rather the club be faced with * all membership revenue so they’re forced to take drastic action.

It’s not a crisis it’s a correction. They probably got the balance wrong but the Kpps are sorted long term the rest they will figure out. I have the dees jumping up next year

It’s not a crisis it’s a correction. They probably got the balance wrong but the Kpps are sorted long term the rest they will figure out. I have the dees jumping up next year

Where does the improvement come from though? Petracca, May, Viney all had career best years. Oliver had another dominant year.

They still haven’t found a replacement for Hogan, and generally their forwardline looks pretty decrepit.

They are in a group of a bunch of mid-ranged sides and unless they get aggressive and make some wholesale changes they’re just going to go through the motions again.

Where does the improvement come from though? Petracca, May, Viney all had career best years. Oliver had another dominant year.

They still haven’t found a replacement for Hogan, and generally their forwardline looks pretty decrepit.

They are in a group of a bunch of mid-ranged sides and unless they get aggressive and make some wholesale changes they’re just going to go through the motions again.
I think it’s more cohesion of the group and the gameplan seems to have clicked.
Pickett
Rivers
Jackson
Weideman
Improvement will come from these guys.

I think it’s more cohesion of the group and the gameplan seems to have clicked.
Pickett
Rivers
Jackson
Weideman
Improvement will come from these guys.

Promising young players, but any team in their range can boast an equally good set of talented young guns. Development isn’t always linear either.

Their senior players performing to their potential already is actually what’s going to hold them back as the only place to go from their is down, and Goodwin’s coaching is pretty shabby too.

Some posters here are left with egg on their faces :)

Weideman's return and improvement has been significant and massive for The Dees, and more than justifies trading out Jesse Hogan.

With the way they are playing, they could do some damage in the finals if they get there..

Gawn's absence has been bit of an unexpected blessing in disguise for The Dees.

Good to see them up and about !
Could of made finals in 2017 and 2020 if games beyond their control in the last round of the season went their way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back