Is our footy culture too critical of little things that don't matter ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Are we micro manages, micro critics, negative Nancy's, nitpickers, stat counters, easily offended by remarks? are we too precious about footy, what are your thoughts?

Are we micro manages, micro critics, negative Nancy's, nitpickers, stat counters, easily offended by remarks? are we too precious about footy, what are your thoughts?

I think we hyper analyse everything.

Like looking for explanations for results that aren’t there. Blaming them on culture or some minute distraction when in reality the other 22 blokes just booted the ball straighter

In footy...who cares really...this DOES apply to LIFE in general though and alot of the bell ends that we share oxygen with.

Yes, which is the result of the 24/7 news cycle and the clickbait nature of the media and the generally abysmal standard of the afl media brown noses, if Purple and Morris are 2 of the best we can come up with therein lies the problem, in all likely hood they get their news stories from the Big Footy Scandals and Rumours board.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forums/scandals-and-rumours.58/post-thread

I think we hyper analyse everything.

Like looking for explanations for results that aren’t there. Blaming them on culture or some minute distraction when in reality the other 22 blokes just booted the ball straighter
interesting on the hyper-analysis: there is far too much analysis of peripheral things (culture etc) but far too little on the football and tactical side of things....which begs the question: which came first - the focus on the periphery led to the creation of the Morris/Browne substanceless reporters OR the thicko ex-players meant they couldn't focus on the game intricacies?

Good grief! 'manages' or 'managers'? Nancys does not have an apostrophe!!!!! New sentences after a question mark start with capital letters! EAD!!!

(am I doing this right?)

I blame Craig Hutchison, Caroline Wilson, Damien Barratt, and the major rise of the 'tabloid' style footy media over the past 10-15 years. So much superfluous bullsh*t.

Not just these guys - it’s driven by ex-player Fox Footy/SEN types too that constantly fill the ‘news’ with ‘hot takes’ and their ‘important’ opinions...

“Melbourne Legend Slams the Dees” - oh look Garry Lyon said something about nothing.
”Bombers legend....blah blah blah” - it’s Matthew Lloyd...

Rohan Connelly wrote an article about it a few months ago, it’s basically a select group of talking heads generating their own ‘news’ and reprinting/regurgitating what each other say. 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just these guys - it’s driven by ex-player Fox Footy/SEN types too that constantly fill the ‘news’ with ‘hot takes’ and their ‘important’ opinions...

“Melbourne Legend Slams the Dees” - oh look Garry Lyon said something about nothing.
”Bombers legend....blah blah blah” - it’s Matthew Lloyd...

Rohan Connelly wrote an article about it a few months ago, it’s basically a select group of talking heads generating their own ‘news’ and reprinting/regurgitating what each other say. 😅

Fox sports loves it. They get 3-4 articles minimum a week that are based on what their own employees said on a panel show

Society is like this too much now, not just footy. Why be honest and improve yourself when you can point somewhere else and criticise.

The 'Poor Me' brigade. Here's a tip, work harder and sacrifice more for those you love and stop being a whining lazy sod. While you are at it, clean your room.

Have a great day!!

Player who is 18/19 does not have 20 kicks at 90 DE in his first game - Delist!

Ruckman who is 21 not playing 20 games - Delist!

When I was growing up players like Bradley, Platten, Kernahan etc played a year of reserves.

Ruckman played 3 years of reserves.

Player who is 18/19 does not have 20 kicks at 90 DE in his first game - Delist!

Ruckman who is 21 not playing 20 games - Delist!

When I was growing up players like Bradley, Platten, Kernahan etc played a year of reserves.

Ruckman played 3 years of reserves.

This sounds more like BigFooty than the media.

For example, Dermott Brereton, always trying his best to be the "smartest" guy in the room, was saying recently the Giants should offer Sam Draper a $750K a year contract.

Yes, it's much too critical. It's overly negative, which is a shame.

If team A beats team B, the post game talk is dominated by what Team B did wrong, why they failed and saying it's not good enough. There isn't enough focus on the positives in footy.

いl
I love how you can play a hard game and come in with a score in the low 80s beating a score in the high 70s... and the media will analyse every single part of the losing team's game is if every decision they made was utterly faulty. And the for the winning team, even every bite of the orange at quarter time was a perfectly weighted stroke of genius that contributed to "the difference."

Get ready for the annual can the grand final entertainment shitfest.

I seriously doubt a lot of those outraged are actual engaged footy supporters - take the Adam Goodes affair.

so much of it can be ignored

When a team has more scoring shots but still loses, it's never because of inaccuracy, it's always "I thought they were better in the contest" and some other stupid excuse. If you have more shots than the other team then you should be winning, it's that simple. Having the wrong defender on an opposition's forward is not a reason for losing when you have more shots. Losing the clearances is not a valid reason for losing when you had more shots. "The ground ball" is irrelevant when you've had more shots. Why can they never admit "we just needed to kick straighter at goal"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back