Is Russell Brand a Genius or a Flog?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can think of no insult more devastating than this. That would mean he's barely sentient.

Get back to me when you've created a tv character as brilliant as David Brent.

He also discovered and unleashed Karl Pilkington on the world.

I couldn't give a rats arse about what else he's done.

Plenty of people know lots of words. A smaller number know lots of words, and also know how to use them all properly. But the smallest number of all know lots of words, and also know when not to use them. It's incredibly difficult and I have a great deal of respect for the people who manage it.

Don't want to sound like an arrogant twat, but I feel I can relate to this.

What you'e said is absolutely bang on. There is a time and a place for certain words and tones that very few can manage. Many people I come across are very surprised to find out I'm 'smart.' Most of this has occurred through discussions with people about my Year 12 results last year, in particular distant friends and work mates. When I tell them my scores, the response is generally "oh, really?" - People don't expect (and excuse the little figjam comment I'm about to make) a socially-abled person who talks like a bit of a dickhead (swear here and there, limited vocab etc.) to actually have results that reflect a bookworm's.

Communication is definitely one of my strengths - its all about picking the right words for the right audience. Now I'm not saying I'm infallible (see I can use dem big words) in this regard - I personally feel that I swear a bit too much and overdo the 'blokey' thing around mates/strangers at social gatherings (I think its a nervous thing). I feel most comfortable when I talk to older people - there's hardly any swearing or slang and my words are carefully chosen, yet still casual. I would describe it as how I talk on bigfooty - the type of speech that is both inviting yet gains a respect from those I talk to. I'm not shy to admit that a lot of my posts on here would be aiming to achieve that certain level of respect from everyone else. (I'm also known to take a 'tell-it-like-it-is' attitude which can work both for and against you).

Anyway, I feel its unnecessary to make every second word something that sounds clever or unusual in an attempt to sound intelligent. 9 times out of 10 the said person ends up coming off as a bit of knob (this is the social thing I'm trying to put into words). In contrast to my over-blokey efforts that I mentioned before, I am equally prone to sounding like one of these up themselves knobs when I get carried away. But as I said, no one's perfect and we can't always get it right. My approach would involve something that is fairly casual that includes one or two words every so often just to remind everyone you're not actually a deadshit. (Infallible is an example for this post). This is the reason why I feel I have it pretty good in both worlds - both socially and academically. I've noticed very few people can do this. By "this" I mean the 'smart, but still kinda cool guy' in life.

Again, sorry if I came off sounding like a moo. Was interested in your comments and felt I could contribute in a meaningful way.

Good call to whoever mentioned RE:brand. I believe he was in his mid 20's and was pretty much always doped out on smack during filming, but he still managed to put together pretty interesting viewing. This is the first parts of a couple of episodes (I think there was only 6 or 7 all up) If you wanna watch the remaining parts just click to watch the vids on Youtube and the remaining parts will appear down the side.

In this one he meets the youth leader of the British National Party and explores his views and racism and that. Part 3 is great viewing and really exposes how insecure and frail the BNP guy is.

In this one he takes in a homeless man to live with him (and has a bath with him at one point) and it's actually a bit sad :(

An unfunny documentary maker, who thinks holding up a mirror to life is funny. It's not. 'Kath and Kim' on mogadon. A celebration of imbecility, which you, not surprisingly, embrace wholeheartedly. The most talentless naked emperor to deliberately bore the planet since Andy Warhol.

Don't want to sound like an arrogant twat,
This is a manifest lie.

An unfunny documentary maker, who thinks holding up a mirror to life is funny. It's not. 'Kath and Kim' on mogadon. A celebration of imbecility, which you, not surprisingly, embrace wholeheartedly. The most talentless naked emperor to deliberately bore the planet since Andy Warhol.

Dont hold back now.

Anywho there are others:

russell-crowe-iron-fists-screening-27.JPG

I must admit I did enjoy Russell Brand's Ponderland tv show where be takes the piss out of other tv shows.

Haven't really liked him in much else though.

Care to tell us what intellectually stimulating comedy tv shows you like Oh Wise One.

I must admit I did enjoy Russell Brand's Ponderland tv show where be takes the piss out of other tv shows.

Haven't really liked him in much else though.

Care to tell us what intellectually stimulating comedy tv shows you like Oh Wise One.
Unable to think of one.

My approach would involve something that is fairly casual that includes one or two words every so often just to remind everyone you're not actually a deadshit. (Infallible is an example for this post). This is the reason why I feel I have it pretty good in both worlds - both socially and academically. I've noticed very few people can do this. By "this" I mean the 'smart, but still kinda cool guy' in life
Huh, slipping such words into casual conversation is hardly unique or challenging...

You're long winded post and rationale is also rather contradictory of your point/claim imo.

Not having a personal go but don't agree what you've said is an example of what Ceasear was implying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'm talking about is more when you meet someone who talks or writes in an incredibly concise manner, yet they consistently manage to express something in a handful of perfectly-chosen words something that would take you a whole paragraph. They don't shy away from using 'big' or unusual words, but they only use them when no simpler word will get their point across quite as well - which is pretty rarely.

It's a really, really rare skill and one that I am in constant awe of. To me it displays complete mastery of a language.

Most people who know too many words for their own good (myself included) flail around suffering from a surfeit of options. When we use 'fancy' words they come off as unnecessary, therefore pretentious.

To bring this back to the topic (in a roundabout way) I think a lot of media personalities get less credit than they should for this talent. Words are their trade and a lot of them have huge vocabularies - but they also know the art of communication, and that means that 99.99% of the time they don't use it that extensively. It's just there, sitting in their toolbox for the one time when that word will perfectly fit the sentiment they want to express. Then they use it, and you think "s**t, this guy is really good with words".

That has happened to me once or twice with Russell Brand (as much as it pains me to admit it).

That has happened to me once or twice with Russell Brand (as much as it pains me to admit it)

Haha I see this comment so often about Russell Brand, what is it about him that makes it so difficult to like him? I posted that Westboro church interview on my Facebook a while ago and most of the comments were along the lines of "I hate to say it, but I like Brand in this/gained respect for him/etc etc"

Huh, slipping such words into casual conversation is hardly unique or challenging...

You're long winded post and rationale is also rather contradictory of your point/claim imo.

Not having a personal go but don't agree what you've said is an example of what Ceasear was implying.

What I'm talking about is more when you meet someone who talks or writes in an incredibly concise manner, yet they consistently manage to express something in a handful of perfectly-chosen words something that would take you a whole paragraph. They don't shy away from using 'big' or unusual words, but they only use them when no simpler word will get their point across quite as well - which is pretty rarely.

Sorry, perhaps I did miss your main point.

The casual conversation thing I was talking about was basically how I feel I can communicate with different audiences using different words and therefore appeal to a variety of people. This includes talking/writing in a fairly concise manner in order to express a rather large point.

This is a manifest lie.

Well you can think that. Was just feeling honest and rather talkative during a post-drinks bigfooty sesh. The reality is, you'll never know what type of person I am through your computer screen. Posts on a forum probably reveal about 1% of the person who is typing.

I'm still trying to figure out how anything you've said qualifies him as a 'genius'.

Seems like a smart guy, shame he's painfully unfunny.

Harsh, Skilts. Comparing anyone to that dweeb Warhol is pretty harsh.

Love him. Incredibly witty and honest. Forgetting Sarah Marshall would be an horrid film without him.
Regarding the demo tape: "I was going to listen to it, but then I just carried on living my life instead."

Whoever mentioned Karl Pilkington - he is the funniest person I've ever seen. An Idiot Abroad is brilliant.

Love him. Incredibly witty and honest. Forgetting Sarah Marshall would be an horrid film without him.
Regarding the demo tape: "I was going to listen to it, but then I just carried on living my life instead."

Whoever mentioned Karl Pilkington - he is the funniest person I've ever seen. An Idiot Abroad is brilliant.
Karl's accent makes him even better. That and he's funny to look at.

Karl's accent makes him even better. That and he's funny to look at.

'I don't mind my mates 'avin a laff at my expense, but I purchased a lamp the other week right. Somewhere between some bloke packin' my lamp in a box and it gettin' to my doorstep, someone wrote next to my name on the address "Karl Pilkington - Head like a ******* orange" - that's not on'

Both comedy geniuses in different ways. But you can't please people who don't have a sense of humour.

'I don't mind my mates 'avin a laff at my expense, but I purchased a lamp the other week right. Somewhere between some bloke packin' my lamp in a box and it gettin' to my doorstep, someone wrote next to my name on the address "Karl Pilkington - Head like a ******* orange" - that's not on'
His accent makes this quote even better.

Nobody's ever been regarded as pretentious for having an extensive vocabulary, just for not employing it correctly.

Plenty of people know lots of words. A smaller number know lots of words, and also know how to use them all properly. But the smallest number of all know lots of words, and also know when not to use them. It's incredibly difficult and I have a great deal of respect for the people who manage it.
Don't act like you're one of those who knows when to use big words at the right time because you aren't one of them. Just because your parents bought your childhood wealth doesn't mean you know have the intelligence and know-how to use big words. Therefore, you are a pretentious flog, but your parents bought you a big house in Sydney and you have 'super moderator' underneath your username so that makes you think you're better than everyone.

inb4deleted

Don't act like you're one of those who knows when to use big words at the right time because you aren't one of them. Just because your parents bought your childhood wealth doesn't mean you know have the intelligence and know-how to use big words. Therefore, you are a pretentious flog, but your parents bought you a big house in Sydney and you have 'super moderator' underneath your username so that makes you think you're better than everyone.

inb4deleted
lolwut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back