Review It’s The Hope That Gets Ya - Rd 10 Review VS Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

On this one - yes it was a bad decision by Logue but Aish was the one that handballed straight to the pies player. Not sure why he’s getting a free pass here either?
The handball was never on, and was badly executed when it was given.
Anyone who’s played footy will understand the frustration of running onto a handball pass 2 metres behind you.
You sound like the sort of person who would say ‘Well he should’ve been wearing a helmet’ if a car was to veer across 2 lanes, speeding, drunk, mounted the kerb and clipped the cyclists who fell off and hurt their head.

Logue was behind the wheel on this play.

What kind of problem??

He's either being told to receive, or doesn't have the want to claim first possession. Looking like a right footed Gaff at times. With Fyfe and Mundy near the end, he and Serong + Brodie need to step forward. Brayshaw constantly sits on his opponents back shoulder at stoppage and continues to not follow up ground balls. It's been glaring the last two weeks in particular.

On this one - yes it was a bad decision by Logue but Aish was the one that handballed straight to the pies player. Not sure why he’s getting a free pass here either?
The handball was never on, and was badly executed when it was given.
Anyone who’s played footy will understand the frustration of running onto a handball pass 2 metres behind you.
Anyone who’s played football would be fn pissed off to receive that handball in the first place.
Dumb football!

You sound like the sort of person who would say ‘Well he should’ve been wearing a helmet’ if a car was to veer across 2 lanes, speeding, drunk, mounted the kerb and clipped the cyclists who fell off and hurt their head.

Logue was behind the wheel on this play.
Yes he was and I’ve already stated that.
I didn’t see your criticism of Cox for his dumb cross field kick into the corridor when there was literally pool of water on the pitch in the first quarter that led to a goal for them however?
Just trying to ensure all clangers are highlighted equally.

He's either being told to receive, or doesn't have the want to claim first possession. Looking like a right footed Gaff at times. With Fyfe and Mundy near the end, he and Serong + Brodie need to step forward. Brayshaw constantly sits on his opponents back shoulder at stoppage and continues to not follow up ground balls. It's been glaring the last two weeks in particular.
Terrible take.

I didn’t see your criticism of Cox for his dumb cross field kick into the corridor when there was literally pool of water on the pitch in the first quarter that led to a goal for them however?
Yeah it was dumb. I made plenty of mention of the arrogance our coach had to assume we could attempt to deliver the same game plan. So sideways kicks, backwards handballing and poor structure are all to blame.

Pretty certain if you can be bothered I didn’t once have a crack at Logue this week, except just now when that clip was shown and supporters say ‘Why does Aish get a free pass’

Logue put him in that spot. Obvious. Then ran past like an idiot calling for the ball. Was dreadful. Just kick it to a contest.

You can’t defend Logue there.

Cox’s kick to the middle? Yeah horrendous, but clearly instruction.

MASSIVE difference. Cox is trying to pierce a pass through the middle which I have no doubt was coach driven. Logue’s play was low IQ and I can’t imagine any coach saying handball it to a stationary player with pressure on him because you have no right foot or take too long to decide what to do.

Cox's kick was also easier to forgiven in the context of the game i.e. Logue's came after we kicked the first of the fourth and were down three goals and pushing forward to try and get another one, and instead lead to the goal that made the margin pretty much un reachable

He's been our best player the whole year and he's been doing a lot more than Gaff seagulling. If we have a problem with what you've described, that's a coach problem, not a Brayshaw problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch him in isolation - doesn't hunt, stands and waits, pulls back from the contest. Regularly.
So to be clear, you disagree with coaches that he's been our consensus best player all year?

Of the issues we have on field, you think Brayshaw is a problem that needs addressing?

Watch him in isolation - doesn't hunt, stands and waits, pulls back from the contest. Regularly.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

So to answer your question; no I don't think we have a Brayshaw problem.

Performance has been Brownlow level to start the season. Been down on his blistering start the last couple of weeks but so has the majority of the midfield. Last two weeks he wasn't "bad" and in any other season would probably have been ranked as very good. He is a victim of his own great form. Has been the onfield leader the whole season.

Will Brodie has been the only player to really maintain consistency of performance for the first 9 weeks; an amazing accomplishment for someone we wouldn't have put in our best 23 at the start of the season.

If the Doig was awarded now it would be Brayshaw winning from Brodie and quite a gap to the next set of players because different players have been performing each week.

Last edited:
So to be clear, you disagree with coaches that he's been our consensus best player all year?

Of the issues we have on field, you think Brayshaw is a problem that needs addressing?

Not sure where I said he hasn't been our best player?

Yes, I do think it's a problem, this is a team with ambitions of winning finals and flags, in two contests where we are forced to into a contested style of play - as finals are - we have a midfield that stands back, or is being coached to receive.

Outside of Brodie, there's alot of watching going on.

Not how you win it at the pointy end.

Not sure where I said he hasn't been our best player?

Yes, I do think it's a problem, this is a team with ambitions of winning finals and flags, in two contests where we are forced to into a contested style of play - as finals are - we have a midfield that stands back, or is being coached to receive.

Outside of Brodie, there's alot of watching going on.

Not how you win it at the pointy end.
Was working well prior to the last two weeks, AB plays the inside/outside linking role, Brodie's job is to get in and get the ball, it's about having balance at the content and everyone playing their role yes? I'm going to be honest dude, your first posts picking out Brayshaw of all players as a potential problem is odd.

Edit: And like I said, if it is a problem, it's a coaching problem, not a Brayshaw problem

We can't critically discuss the roles of players post game in a review thread?

Put it this way, that's all fine and dandy until the narrative of the match changes. Players need to able to demonstrate the ability to compete and contest when the situation calls for it.

Here's some numbers to think on:

Rate of Contested posessions:

53% - Lachie Neale
46% - Clayton Oliver
63% - Callum Mills
42% - Jack Macrae
40% - Christian Petracca
40% - Darcy Parish
51% - Patrick Cripps
49% - George Hewitt
31% - Sam Walsh

Freo's Big 3

47% - Will Brodie
42% - Caleb Serong
32% - Andrew Brayshaw

When Brodie tires, like he did on the weekend - who steps forward?

Mundy and Fyfe are much closer to the end than the beginning, and bare in mind those contested possessions numbers for Fremantle, should be elevated with two drenching's in a sub total of 10 games. Explain to me how that type of football is viable in September?

We can't critically discuss the roles of players post game in a review thread?

Put it this way, that's all fine and dandy until the narrative of the match changes. Players need to able to demonstrate the ability to compete and contest when the situation calls for it.

Here's some numbers to think on:

Rate of Contested posessions:

53% - Lachie Neale
46% - Clayton Oliver
63% - Callum Mills
42% - Jack Macrae
40% - Christian Petracca
40% - Darcy Parish
51% - Patrick Cripps
49% - George Hewitt
31% - Sam Walsh

Freo's Big 3

47% - Will Brodie
42% - Caleb Serong
32% - Andrew Brayshaw

When Brodie tires, like he did on the weekend - who steps forward?

Mundy and Fyfe are much closer to the end than the beginning, and bare in mind those contested possessions numbers for Fremantle, should be elevated with two drenching's in a sub total of 10 games. Explain to me how that type of football is viable in September?
And again, this is not a Brayshaw problem but you have it said it is one from the start. He is doing his role and appears to be doing it well, as indicated by coaches regarding him as one of our best players for the year. He is the link man who also applies more pressure then anyone else in the team if the clearance /contested battle is lost. Comparing to Sam Walsh is a terrific example as he plays the exact same role.

To answer your original question, no, I dont think we have an issue with Brayshaw. I think we have an issue with the following
  • Not changing our gameplan in the slightest for wet weather football
  • Not having enough forwards who can create goals from something other than fast ball movement and pressure

And again, this is not a Brayshaw problem but you have it said it is one from the start. He is doing his role and appears to be doing it well, as indicated by coaches regarding him as one of our best players for the year. He is the link man who also applies more pressure then anyone else in the team if the clearance /contested battle is lost. Comparing to Sam Walsh is a terrific example as he plays the exact same role.

To answer your original question, no, I dont think we have an issue with Brayshaw. I think we have an issue with the following
  • Not changing our gameplan in the slightest for wet weather football
  • Not having enough forwards who can create goals from something other than fast ball movement and pressure
I'm genuinely surprised you dont see an issue with our contested ball & stoppage efforts in the last two weeks as a huge alarm bell.

Considering we have had an advantage, hit-outs wise, in the last two weeks.

We've somehow managed to win the hit-out's comfortably, yet lose stoppages in aggregate in the last two fixtures, it's broken at the source.

I'm genuinely surprised you dont see an issue with our contested ball & stoppage efforts in the last two weeks as a huge alarm bell.

Considering we have had an advantage, hit-outs wise, in the last two weeks.

We've somehow managed to win the hit-out's comfortably, yet lose stoppages in aggregate in the last two fixtures, it's broken at the source.
Agree mate. And I'll give you an explanation as per the criteria for displaying a thumb emoji.

Darcy is not hitting to advantage basically. We're winning the Taps but losing the clearances. Mundy is old and slow, our defensive mid is not even 6ft and while Brayshaw gets the pill on the outer his delivery into the forward line is Acres-like. We're just lucky that steak knives turned out to be a gem cause without Fyfe we would be totally ****ed in this area.

We have a similar style to the Richmond dynasty , a bit messy but attack and rebound from the backline. The difference is they had/have a classy forward line and score more efficiently, plus we have to many 2 touch players *in it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back