It's not that bad

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not contending for flags any time soon, but we're a long way from falling back into the abyss. There's some young talent, and there are premiership players with years of good service still to come. Here's a look at how the list would look next season if all the players 30+ and out of contract retired or moved on (Martin, Grimes, Prestia, Pickett, McIntosh, Naismith) and every other out of contract player was re-signed.

View attachment 1988850

The players with *** are out of contract at the end of the year. A few are likely to be delisted.

It's not a terrible list by any means, it's just chronically injured.

Our current draft hand, based on the current ladder: 2, 22, 30, 40, 41, 48, 58, 67, 69. That equates to 5422 points, more than any other team except the Suns.

We don't need or want a major rebuild from here. We want to pass on the culture of the premiership group to the next generation. Keeping Baker is a huge part of that. Keeping Bolton less so, and if he's keen to move, that's one deal I would facilitate. Very good player on a great team, but potentially toxic in our current situation.
I agree ... I think that Bolton might be the one who leaves at the end of the year. He is a brilliant player but doesn't look part of the future mix.

Need at least 10 top 30 draft picks, steal a few rookies, then load up on Free Agents for the gaps. Trade out Rioli and Baker and we will be close
Agree with the first part, disagree with the last bit

We are in the abyss

Nah we are not in the abyss.

RFC are abyss experts. We are not in the abyss.

In fact RFC probably are smarter than most how to play this depending on what gets thrown at us.

Put it this way. We are currently bottom two and we are far better than other bottom two ladder positions in the past.

I think we need to focus on the future not this year for sure, what that means we shall see but I am flexible. I think we will go up at some stage, but I am probably more patient than many

we have somewhere between 5 to 37 years of pain ahead of us in my estimation

It’s going to take years for the kids we recruit to develop into genuine match winners

We don’t have cheat academies so it’s the hard road ahead

We’ve had our turn so afl is giving us the flick

Nah, if we fu/// it up it will take that long, I do not think it will take that long if we respect the youth and give them time and opportunity

The minute the club fails to review the whole of the FD and Fitness crew they're living in lala land. Our list is also old, slow and full of kids with bigger question marks than a VCE Physics exam. We need to delist all duds, trade players, retire off golden oldies and most importantly stop drinking our own bath water from 17-20 as we will end up being non destination club again and losing membership which equals money.
Tim at the moment we are rudderless on the ground and off the ground no leaders

Tim at the moment we are rudderless on the ground and off the ground no leaders

We need to focus on the draft this year.

Next year, what happens with Tassie is interesting. I do not want 30 years of hell that is for sure so a small amount of pain to avoid a bid amount of pain I can handle

Some of the guys at our club will have idea what they are proposing for Tassie so we just need to work around what is possible and what is not

A. lot can change in three years in terms of the league environment so if we go hard youth things can open up while not throwing out our experienced guys to provide a path

A lot of other clubs will be chasing premierships in coming years as it looks fairly even. We need to use this to our advantage if we can. I think things could dramatically change in 3-4 years, it is not impossible if different time paths fall into place and people seize the opportunity and grab their growth and development

Will another Hawthorn scenario eventuate with Tassie like with GWS? Not necessarily

Again this is where Yze simply has not been given enough time. 2-3 years is really stretching it. 4-5 years from last year is a little more realistic but this year and next year is very hard because we have to focus on our future and being sustainable apart from setting ourselves up for future premiership tilts

Last edited:
The minute the club fails to review the whole of the FD and Fitness crew they're living in lala land. Our list is also old, slow and full of kids with bigger question marks than a VCE Physics exam. We need to delist all duds, trade players, retire off golden oldies and most importantly stop drinking our own bath water from 17-20 as we will end up being non destination club again and losing membership which equals money.
So basically delist everyone and be like norf and win 5 games in 5 years? yep , i think we've found Mr Magic's alt account

So basically delist everyone and be like norf and win 5 games in 5 years? yep , i think we've found Mr Magic's alt account
Learn to read as where did I say everyone? And stop making outlandish statements regarding posters. Have some decency and respect before you hit the keyboard. 😜
And wake up to yourself as we are in North territory atm. If you suggest that we shouldn’t do what I’ve mentioned then be prepared for long term suffering. 😂

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learn to read as where did I say everyone? And stop making outlandish statements regarding posters. Have some decency and respect before you hit the keyboard. 😜
And wake up to yourself as we are in North territory atm. If you suggest that we shouldn’t do what I’ve mentioned then be prepared for long term suffering. 😂
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: righto Negative Nancy

You would have said the same about the Adelaide Crows FC in 2019-20-21. But a few class draftees, Thilthorpe, Rachele, a couple of moderate picks looking really good, Soligo, Michelanney, a couple of gun mature recruits, Rankine, Dawson, a few "finds" amongst the pre-existing players, Laird to midfield, Keays to forward line, a couple of formerly good players re-surging Walker, Crouch, and general improvement from a load of other moderate looking youngsters as they mature, and voila, you have a list that can contend. Like us they are probably not having loads of luck with some key injuries. But over the next 2 off seasons we should at least get a chance to match the Rachele-Thilthorpe-Rankine-Dawson part of their recruiting. And there is a hell of a lot more talent sitting on our list now than they were sitting on 2 years ago.

It may play out like that. Hopefully it does. Usually takes a lot longer than fans think though. If the club make great decisions and maintain a great culture then we might bounce after a couple of years but I personally think it will be a bounce up to competing for finals and nothing close to premierships. The factors that made us truly great have dissipated into the AFL ether. We have no competitive advantage now in any way. Everything has been dismantled and we are like a vintage Corolla at an auto wreckers.

Being young doesn’t necessarily mean being good.
I haven’t seen many of the kids under 21 even remotely look like they are going to have 150-game careers.

Nor does a games figure equate to success.
Aaron Fiora played 140 games (78 Richmond, 62 St Kilda) and most here would consider him a flop.
Of all our under 22s, Tom Brown is the only one I think right now is a chance of being a star and you need to stars to win flags and compete for them.

Nor does a games figure equate to success.
Aaron Fiora played 140 games (78 Richmond, 62 St Kilda) and most here would consider him a flop.
Of all our under 22s, Tom Brown is the only one I think right now is a chance of being a star and you need to stars to win flags and compete for them.
I also rate Clarke and Gibcus , but they’re not going to make up the crop that have or about to retire.

Think we are pretty set for the future and will get top draft picks this year. Hopper will not always be injured either. Prestia will probably retire
I can't see this as being a quick fix. Will need at least 2 decent drafts to steer this side into the right direction. Unlike North however we have a good decent core of players who still have 5 or 6 years left of footy so it will help us turn things around.

Never be a star unless he is surrounded by star players! lacks the competitive fire in the belly to be a real standalone star!
Harsh. And what are you basing that on?

The mentality shifts of players can be very surprising after being in a brutal industry for a few years and finding their feet. He’s just a baby trying to eke out a spot in the team now. Wait until he’s been flogged by the media and questioned by fans until you can see the character emerge (eg. Trent Cotchin). Strikes me as a humble, hard working and likeable kid who has all the tools necessary to become an absolute gun.

Harsh. And what are you basing that on?

The mentality shifts of players can be very surprising after being in a brutal industry for a few years and finding their feet. He’s just a baby trying to eke out a spot in the team now. Wait until he’s been flogged by the media and questioned by fans until you can see the character emerge (eg. Trent Cotchin). Strikes me as a humble, hard working and likeable kid who has all the tools necessary to become an absolute gun.
Yes agree...he's humble, hard worker...likeable...I suppose if that's a redeeming footy skill!
He's a good kick...I wish him well...I don't see it in him to be a GUN!
Like my previous post...maybe...if he's surrounded by stars...
Just lacks that fire in the belly/urgency to be a stand alone star/gun playa!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back