Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine in the AFL in 2024 is like Erin Phillips in AFLW in 2017 - there is no bad answer to the "midfielder or forward" question. Play him up forward and he's going to kick a few goals and create a few more. Put him in the midfield and he's going to churn out clearances and hit forwards on the chest. Play him as a mix of forward/midfielder and you'll get a combination of the two.

For me the key question is, which area of the ground are we weakest in? Wherever that is, play him there primarily.

I seriously don’t get the hate on Nicks re playing young players. Rachele and Soligo less than 2.5 years into their career have played almost as many games as Rankine did in 4 years at GC.

Sure there is stuff to criticise Nicks on but seriously when you see the stats of (1) who has played the most debutants , (2) least experienced team (or bottom 2) in his time at the Crows - what does do those facts actually tell you?
It tells me you’ve completely missed the point if you think soligo is someone who doesn’t give 100% from the get go.

Last edited:
Just thinking imagine we drafted Izaak, he wasn’t the hardest worker by all reports, that’s not something we value, goes to show sometimes you have to just back talent, even if they drift in and out.
Good God, can you imagine how he would have gone under Burton and Hass?

Probably would have been forced to retire after his first year.

I never questioned how much we are paying Rankine.

Put up the quote or apologise.

Also, I was one of the minority on this board who claimed Eddie would be worth every $ from before he played a game.

Wonder how many Brownlow votes he has at this point. Assuming none from the first 4 weeks of the season, he has been in our best 2 players (Match reports afl.com.au) in 4 (inc the 3 wins and draw) of the last 5 weeks. So perhaps 6-8 votes?

Couldn’t believe he was still paying 501-1 at 620pm Sunday just gone. Odds now halved. Flashy player who kicks goals. I was hoping for much more midfield time this year which may still happen. Big call from Kingy talking about a top 3 player in the league but he is the most freakishly skilled I have seen since DJ and Macca.
His season is looking somewhat similar to Shai Bolton's in 2022. Bolton averaged 17.5 disposals and kicked 42 goals playing a sort of similar midfield/small forward role. He picked up 12 Brownlow votes, and got votes in all 5 games where he had 20+ disposals and multiple goals in the same game, but only in one other game. So I think that's what you're looking at, if you're not pushing 20ish disposals you're probably not getting votes even if you kick a few goals and dish a couple more off.

Rankine is on 17.2 disposals per game and on target for about 48ish goals if he plays every game. He's done the 20+ and multiple goals thing twice, in the Carlton win and the Brisbane draw. So think he might have votes in those games but probably wouldn't get them for his 11 touch, 3 goal, 2 GA game against Port. Possessions are just hugely significant when talking Brownlow votes, you rarely get them if you don't get a lot of the ball.

It tells me you’ve completely missed the point if you think soligo is someone who doesn’t give 100% from the get go.
Cmon froggy you are better than that. You aren’t one of those bad scary Cartel dudes after all and normally fair minded.

It’s a crap theory saying Nicks doesn’t play youngsters, especially smalls, early. whilst saying Rankine would have only played 20 games with us,

The Facts

Rankine less than 50:games in 4 years. Dropped multiple times after injuries year one.

Soligo - 46 games in less than 2.5 years
Rachele - 43 games in less than 2.5 years
Schoenberg - 57 games in first 4 years

All these 3 compare favourably and weren’t the stand out superstar - talked as a possible pick one - player like Rankine was.

Edit - and forgot to add Max playing 32 of a possible 33 games, consistent with your theory?

How about just limiting the Nicks abuse to where it may actually be warranted.

Last edited:
Cmon froggy you are better than that. You aren’t one of those bad scary Cartel dudes after all and normally fair minded.

It’s a crap theory saying Nicks doesn’t play youngsters, especially smalls, early. whilst saying Rankine would have only played 20 games with us,

The Facts

Rankine less than 50:games in 4 years. Dropped multiple times after injuries year one.

Soligo - 46 games in less than 2.5 years
Rachele - 43 games in less than 2.5 years
Schoenberg - 57 games in first 4 years

All these 3 compare favourably and weren’t the stand out superstar - talked as a possible pick one - player like Rankine was.

Edit - and forgot to add Max playing 32 of a possible 33 games, consistent with your theory?

How about just limiting the Nicks abuse to where it may actually be warranted.
As I’ve said you’re missing the point.
Max and soligo are hard workers they have no place in my discussion.
I never mentioned nicks, it’s a club thing. We’ve generally favored hard workers over talent.
Talented (high picks) players that don’t get the gold passes others less talented hard workers do.
It’s my opinion, you don't need to resort to making up stuff like me abusing nicks or that Rankine would have only played 20 games for us (I said if he had).

As I’ve said you’re missing the point.
Max and soligo are hard workers they have no place in my discussion.
I never mentioned nicks, it’s a club thing. We’ve generally favored hard workers over talent.
Talented (high picks) players that don’t get the gold passes others less talented hard workers do.
It’s my opinion, you don't need to resort to making up stuff like me abusing nicks or that Rankine would have only played 20 games for us (I said if he had).
Will leave it after ths. I have given you 4 examples of players - all less talented than Rankine and all who will have clearly played more games than Izak in his first 4 years. Debutants, inexperienced squad and team etc - the facts speak for themself that Nicks doesn’t have issues playing young players early. And yes I did assume when you said “we’d not have played him early on” that you were referring to Nicks who is ultimately the one responsible for such a decision as head coach.

More we’d have not played him early on. GC did that for us and we’ve reaped the benefits.
I’m not sure he’d be where he is if he’d only played 20 games instead of 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will leave it after ths. I have given you 4 examples of players - all less talented than Rankine and all who will have clearly played more games than Izak in his first 4 years. Debutants, inexperienced squad and team etc - the facts speak for themself that Nicks doesn’t have issues playing young players early. And yes I did assume when you said “we’d not have played him early on” that you were referring to Nicks who is ultimately the one responsible for such a decision as head coach.

More we’d have not played him early on. GC did that for us and we’ve reaped the benefits.
I’m not sure he’d be where he is if he’d only played 20 games instead of 50
My point is we seem to favour hard workers over talent (obviously if they have both they play, see max and Jake)
Look at cook vs McHenry and their ceilings and games played.

Rankine should be given the freedom to read the game and play wherever he wants.

He can kick freakish goals as well as Betts, he has the evasiveness, burst speed, disposal and class of McLeod and he controls the football like he's Kyrie Irving.

Ultimately he is a freak of a talent there's no questions about that.

He probably still needs to work on his set shots and you know he's going to get hard tags in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see how he goes against these.

There is not a single quote where I questioned how much we are paying him!

Apologise you got it very wrong... again!

I stand by that in a position of strength we should never have given up our pick 5... which should have been used on a top end midfielder... when we had plenty of other draft capital.

You cannot accept this view which is shared by many on here, yet here you are raising it again when a completely different point was being discussed on how much he was being paid.

Anyone with a semblance of intelligence would understand the difference... but not you as you would prefer to stalk me for about the 100th time to make the same repetitive point yet again.

You are such a boring poster!

If you don't have any new views, go & play with someone else...

Rankine should be given the freedom to read the game and play wherever he wants.

He can kick freakish goals as well as Betts, he has the evasiveness, burst speed, disposal and class of McLeod and he controls the football like he's Kyrie Irving.

Ultimately he is a freak of a talent there's no questions about that.

He probably still needs to work on his set shots and you know he's going to get hard tags in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see how he goes against these.
I think that he is an obvious answer to a question we as a supporter base have been raising for a long time and that is we need eite mids, where do we get one. The answer is right under our nose as Rankine can be that elite mid. He has everything and the burst speed and evasiveness. Play him there with and with dawson and soligo we have 3 very different and high end mids to build around.

People say, but we need rankine forward to kick the goals. I say we have others that can do the extraordinary like rachele and maybe we get Hayward too to do that. What wins grand finals???....high end mids go a long way towards it

King changed his tune there.

Fox Footy’s David King has spoken this week of his fears for Rankine’s move home, believing the trade request was “poorly advised”.

“I still can’t get my head around this one,” King said on SEN.

“I think this is one of the most poorly advised players right now that I’ve seen for some time.

“A young man at 22 years of age, he’s only just getting going, only just hitting his straps, he’s played, what, 50 games of AFL footy – he’s not a $800,000 player.

“I understand you get what you pay for, and the Adelaide Crows have done a great job in securing their man and you have to pay overs, I get all that, but the pressure that will be on him right now worries me.

“Because he’s a small forward, he thrives on winning his own ball in the forward 50, he’s not a marquee mid, so he won’t be able to get the numbers that’ll satisfy the fans.

“I think he’ll be under pressure in a heartbeat at the Adelaide Crows.”

King changed his tune there.
King thinks that Rankine could join the likes of Sydney’s Isaac Heeney and Collingwood’s Nick Daicos in the top three players in the comp currently as he creates maximum damage from his disposals.

“From that game, the Crows I think have got a guy in two or three weeks … it may even be at the end of this week if he has that performance again,” King said on SEN Mornings.

“In about four weeks’ time, I think we'll be talking about Izak Rankine as a top two or top three player in the comp.

King thinks that Rankine could join the likes of Sydney’s Isaac Heeney and Collingwood’s Nick Daicos in the top three players in the comp currently as he creates maximum damage from his disposals.

“From that game, the Crows I think have got a guy in two or three weeks … it may even be at the end of this week if he has that performance again,” King said on SEN Mornings.

“In about four weeks’ time, I think we'll be talking about Izak Rankine as a top two or top three player in the comp.

Good on King for (sort of) admitting he was wrong. Got his inspiration from George Kramer with that thread he created that time

Back