Player Watch Jack Madgen (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know if he can stay as a Cat B rookie when we've picked up the 2 irishmen?
I think that will be the limiting factor on whether he gets another go around. I would like to think he's done enough to get an upgrade to a general rookie spot - but not sure if the club will see it that way with limited list positions - and he definitely won't be promoted to the main list.

Still waiting for the club to announce delistings.

Cat B's get 3 years before they need to be promoted as I understand it, and we're allowed to have a maximum of 3. It seems only 1x Irish player can be included as a Cat B, the other needs to be a Cat A, so at this stage we'll still have 1x Cat B vacancy and a list of 46.

Yes but I really don’t see the comparison apart from they both play key defence for Collingwood.

Hmmmmm, wasn't that the point of Copeland's question? I think where they were drafted is less relevant given 1 had absolutely zero involvement in the critical junior pathways, but there you go.

I'm in the won't make it camp...
Only gets games due to multiple injuries

On a side note hope max lynch plays one or two games in 2019

Won't make it camp for me too. He is an in between size with no notable attributes that would make him a regular in defence. Would be great if he succeeded in making the cross over to AFL but I just don't see it happening. And I wish the club would hurry up with its delistings so there is at least something new in black and white to cogitate upon.

I'm in the won't make it camp...
Only gets games due to multiple injuries

On a side note hope max lynch plays one or two games in 2019
The odds are against him but they were too with Cox and that's trending the right way but yeah I'm in the won't make it but hope he does camp.

Don’t really know where this bloke fits into our side. Not big enough to play KP and doesn’t play the intercept role well.

Obviously was thrown into the deep end this year so I’ll give him some credit, but for the moment he needs to develop a lot more tricks.

Cat B rookie so costs us nothing to give him another year. I think given where he came from, he showed a bit at various times at both senior and VFL level and has earned another year. Some of his marking 1v1 was excellent but still quite a bit of improvement needed across the board if he's going to make it as an undersized KPD.

Interestingly, during the preseason game I was surprised at his pace which I didn't think was as evident during the season proper. Be interesting to see how he progresses with another preseason under his belt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't mentioned as one of the delisted players so I assume he is going to be retained for another year as a Cat B rookie?

Probably won't make it long term but with Dunn/Shaz expected to miss the start of the year at worst he provides some early season depth/cover.

Madgen still has upside
He’s been stiff playing his first game on franklin last year and his only game before today this season at the scg again
Might be ok with more opportunities

Well done Magden. Your improvement is obvious. His effort in the 2nd quarter to take the game on with a kick forward was excellent. Keep him on the list.

Think we should keep for depth he can come in a play a role as long as it’s not KP. If he keeps adding more strings to his bow like taking the game on he’ll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back