Recommitted Jack Petruccelle [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast will definitely want to hold on to this guy, especially considering the Rioli situation. I would expect them to offer him a pretty decent contract, rightfully so as i think he has a lot of potential. If he can play 15 plus games this year I think he will have a bit of a break out year.

Too much potential for us to let go at the moment, unless there is either a seriously good offer or he really really wants to go home. Both of these are unlikely at this stage.

If he requests a trade, we'll probably trade him.
Agree, but in my opinion this is unlikely at this stage. He will get games, he is playing in a good team and is highly rated by our coaching group. Any home sickness or lengthy contract offer would have to be very strong.

Would love him at the Blues. If one of our WA boys wanted to go home he's the first players I'd be asking for.
Jack is going to play mostly seniors this year with both Venable and and Rioli sidelined. That said, he was a rising star nomination in 2019 and is pushing for more games in his own right. I am seeing how he is being used in training and match sim - he will be let loose as a high HFF in 2020.

Of the WA players at CFC, there are:

Cripps - Jack would only be a small portion of any bargaining chip so not realistic
McGovern - West Coast are so well covered for talls that the Junior Mac is not of any real value
Petrevski-Seton - probably need something going to Carlton in the deal but SPS has not fulfilled the potential I saw in him at Claremont Colts. Still time but they he and Jack are much closer to parity that I could of imagined.
Fisher - feels like it would be a fair swap.

On the trading front, you need to give up quality to get quality. Petruccelle has proven it and now like most 20 year olds, need to do it each week.

In a world where pace is a major differentiation (Carlton are in need for more outside run), I understand the attraction of Jack.

Bottom line is I want him to stay and believe he will. That said, if he gets a sizable offer to go to Princess Park, I would want Fisher (quality for quality) or an early second rounder.

Very fast but what else has he got? Value range?

Late third but with some regret?
How many games have you seen him play? We have played him as a small forward. He gets his goal a game and decent assist numbers. He is playing a pressure role and the hard tackle and chase. He does not get the midfield time so his stats look like most small forwards. If you only value him as a 3rd rounder with regrets, then don't bother turning up to the trade table.

Just on pace, how many Blues do you see having dynamic pace? I think that is Carlton's weakness and Jack would round your team off well.

Jack is going to play mostly seniors this year with both Venable and and Rioli sidelined. That said, he was a rising star nomination in 2019 and is pushing for more games in his own right. I am seeing how he is being used in training and match sim - he will be let loose as a high HFF in 2020.

Cripps - Jack would only be a small portion of any bargaining chip so not realistic
McGovern - West Coast are so well covered for talls that the Junior Mac is not of any real value
Petrevski-Seton - probably need something going to Carlton in the deal but SPS has not fulfilled the potential I saw in him at Claremont Colts. Still time but they he and Jack are much closer to parity that I could of imagined.

On the trading front, you need to give up quality to get quality. Petruccelle has proven it and now like most 20 year olds, need to do it each week.

In a world where pace is a major differentiation (Carlton are in need for more outside run), I understand the attraction of Jack.

Bottom line is I want him to stay and believe he will. That said, if he gets a sizable offer to go to Princess Park, I would want Fisher (quality for quality) or an early second rounder.
Great post but as the post above states Fisher is still more valuable than an out of contract Petruccelle.

Right now I'd be happy to pay pick 25-30 or Fisher plus a pick 30-40 coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post but as the post above states Fisher is still more valuable than an out of contract Petruccelle.

Right now I'd be happy to pay pick 25-30 or Fisher plus a pick 30-40 coming back.
My slight disclaimer would be that Petruccelle has always been a much rawer prospect.

If he keeps improving on upper body strength (doesn't stick enough tackles yet), production and ball use he could easily overtake. Ifs are ifs though.

How many games have you seen him play? We have played him as a small forward. He gets his goal a game and decent assist numbers. He is playing a pressure role and the hard tackle and chase. He does not get the midfield time so his stats look like most small forwards. If you only value him as a 3rd rounder with regrets, then don't bother turning up to the trade table.
Maybe 5? Hence the question. I'm not here buying.

The regrets would be WCs by the way, because he looks like he could come on but if he's squeezed out for opportunities I doubt he'd go for much more than he was initially drafted for.

I wouldn't trade Fisher, but I would hand over an early to mid 2nd for an OOC Jack

My slight disclaimer would be that Petruccelle has always been a much rawer prospect.

If he keeps improving on upper body strength (doesn't stick enough tackles yet), production and ball use he could easily overtake. Ifs are ifs though.
Fisher was dropped by an awful Carlton team in 2019. Petracelli is worth more

I wouldn't trade Fisher, but I would hand over an early to mid 2nd for an OOC Jack

Pretty much how I see it. We’d be happy to pay a decent pick, but SPS and Fisher are inexpendable at this stage and we’d have all the leverage given Petruccelle is uncontracted.

Would suit our needs to a tee.

I think he’d be a great fit should he want to return home. Added benefit is that he’s a northern knights/suburbs boy, so may opt to play closer to home.

Probably worth an early-mid 2nd.

Just on pace, how many Blues do you see having dynamic pace? I think that is Carlton's weakness and Jack would round your team off well.

It definitely was identified as a weakness, and while perhaps not as ‘dynamic’ as Petch (aside from Sam Philp who tested faster than Petch), we recruited for pace in the off season: Martin, Kemp, Philp, Ramsay, Honey). Most of those are unproven, so I guess the point remains.

Spot on mate.

A pick in the early to mid 20's this year is compromised as we have all been told.

Straight swap for Fisher would be a fair deal IMO.

Both emerging kids with upside.

Reports last year were Petch wants to stay and loves it at the Eagles. More than happy to keep him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back