Recommitted Jack Viney [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Compo has had the perverse outcome of clubs actively not re-signing players because they'd prefer the compo. Frawley is probably the most obvious one, pick #3 was ridiculous. Geelong gamed it to get a first rounder for Motlop and turn him into Gary Ablett. The Vickery deal stunk too.

Free Agency should allow the free movement and fair bidding on a player, not having a club basically making no effort to re-sign a player because they know the compo and would rather the draft pick. Not sure of the ins and outs of Brad Crouch leaving but if he turns into pick #2 or whatever that I've read somewhere, it should be the reason for an overhaul of this system.

I think tying compo to finishing position seems to be at the root of a lot of people’s frustration because they can’t reconcile that under the current system, compo is only partly tied to a player’s quality. It’s also deliberately designed as an equalisation measure, so poor performing clubs are better looked after when they lose their best players.

If Adelaide had finished top 4 and band 1 compensation for Brad Crouch meant pick 15-20, no-one would bat an eyelid.

Crows finish bottom, band 1 = pick 2 = meltdown.

You haven't been watching the whole season then.
No, I have. His lack of consistent impact is pretty representative of Melbourne's season.

If Geelong received picks 14, 24, 37 and Eagles’ future first-round pick for Tim Kelly then we should receive at least the equivalent of picks 14 and 24 for Viney from Geelong in return/ compensation.

If the club decided to trade Jack without his consent/wishes then this would set the club back for a long time and would almost do it for me.
Wot

I think tying compo to finishing position seems to be at the root of a lot of people’s frustration because they can’t reconcile that under the current system, compo is only partly tied to a player’s quality. It’s also deliberately designed as an equalisation measure, so poor performing clubs are better looked after when they lose their best players.

If Adelaide had finished top 4 and band 1 compensation for Brad Crouch meant pick 15-20, no-one would bat an eyelid.

Crows finish bottom, band 1 = pick 2 = meltdown.
I get the rationale that poor teams can ill afford to lose senior players and need more assistance than top 4 teams but what it actually does is incentivises bottom four clubs to get rid of a 26 year old player who would be worth pick 15-20 on the free market to pick 2, 3, or 4, and they basically make no attempt to keep them beyond telling the receiving club ("if you don't pay him $750k, we'll match").

If you got, at best, a pick in the second round, watch those teams actually try to hang onto their senior players.

This has to be the most overrated saying in football circles.

Was that the same when your heart and soul player in Brett Deledio left and then the very next year tigers won a grand final?

What i will tell you is Jack Viney isn't exactly the most popular player within his senior teammates. Cotchin and Richo were loved by teammates, Viney isn't....

Not the most popular with senior team mates?

Why?

Viney reminds me of that player on your team who goes in so hard he often hurts his own team mates doing stupid stuff.

Or is it a fall out from losing the captaincy maybe?

If Geelong received picks 14, 24, 37 and Eagles’ future first-round pick for Tim Kelly then we should receive at least the equivalent of picks 14 and 24 for Viney from Geelong in return/ compensation.

If the club decided to trade Jack without his consent/wishes then this would set the club back for a long time and would almost do it for me.
Mate youre dreaming - and no I don’t want to buy some jousting sticks.

No, I have. His lack of consistent impact is pretty representative of Melbourne's season.
Saying he has been inconsistent is very different from your original summation of him: “surely cooked”, looking older than his years, looking nothing like what he used to be etc. None of which is accurate.

He’s played as well as he ever has at times this year. It’s not been a weekly occurrence but that has always been the knock on him — consistency or lack thereof. This season however, he has performed more often than not and is in good physical nick.

I agree with what you’ve posted. However, I wouldn’t put it past the idiots running the show to push Viney out over the magic beans of pick whatever in a highly compromised draft.

I get that player movement is becoming more common and feel less sentimental about it as I get older. However, I’d feel physically ill seeing Viney in another jumper, particularly another Victorian club.

He would look ok in yellow and black. How much cap room do geelong have? It seems to have magically qualities

lel

Agree, but he would look better in Blue and the Dees would get a first round draft pick...
Yup Baggers should go hard at Viney a natural footballer Great accumulator and foot6 IQ , he would important to our midfield improvement just image how Sam Walsh would flourish and possibly allow Dow, Stocker and OBrein quicker development too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, but he would look better in Blue and the Dees would get a first round draft pick...
he is the exact sort of player that Carlton need. Takes some of the inside grunt work off Cripps and releases a few other players

he is the exact sort of player that Carlton need. Takes some of the inside grunt work off Cripps and releases a few other players
Would be a good fit and nice to bring the boys back together when we also get Wines (as per BarRAT)

But seriously Melbourne won't let him go...

Would be a good fit and nice to bring the boys back together when we also get Wines (as per BarRAT)

But seriously Melbourne won't let him go...
I would hope they don't

imo Carlton only need one of Viney or Wines. Getting both will make your midfield a bit unbalanced with those two and Cripps

But if Carlton can add Williams and one of Viney/Wines you should be comfortably playing finals next year

First preseason in years and he looked like the old Jack Viney. Started to look up and hit some targets by foot too. And always does his best defensively and brings pressure.

That said, his ball use wasn't great. Doesn't have creative hands. Not only now are a lot of mids very quick and creative with the handballs but half of them even throw it around at all angles too. And when Viney not only doesn't give the first option but runs in to trouble it's a big disadvantage compared to these guys chucking it over their shoulder to a free man.

If Melbourne keep him they need to find a better midfield balance and a new stoppage coach not afraid to mix things up. Viney had his first preseason in ages but didn't get a normal season of coaching and training and certainly didn't get good coaching. So for any club who does sign him he could even start to fix a few of those issues and go to another level again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back