Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Not unexpected. It takes a bit of class to wait a day or two before gloating.

As they say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Feel like doubling down? Will another team pick him up?

Looks like a deal was done mid season elsewhere. Word from West is the club isnt too impressed with his manager.

Given Rawlings drafted him and North holding pick 1 in the psd why would they offer anything. Hawks also keen.

Anyway, we move on.
If a deal was done mid year a trade woukd have got done. He and his manager wouldn't have wasted their time trying to get him delisted.

His manager also wouldn't have wasted time talking to Carlton early in the trade period before they landed the fella from Geelong.

Unfortunately for you guys there has just been bugger all interest in him and it is just a year where it's hard to move clubs, mostly because of how tight list spots and salary caps are at the moment.

Would be surprised if he doesnt find a home as a DFA.

I think with list spots at a premium these days and salary cap pressure considerations, with some surprising players being delisted for those reasons (though some will be re-rookied), I doubt any club would pick up someone so far as underwhelming as Brander, unless in the rookie draft.

Given enough chances at West Coast but failed to nail down a spot.

Yep, in breaking nwes clubs dont get every draft pick or trade right. WOW!

In a year or two people will be posting the same about Geelong giving up three 1st round picks for a 29 year old with dodgy hamstrings. What was Geelongs last top 10 pick? Cockatoo?

A little touchy? You do realise we had those picks for Cameron because the Eagles gave us the picks for Kelly right? Who was playing in WA under the Eagle's noses.......

Not unexpected. It takes a bit of class to wait a day or two before gloating.

As they say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Feel like doubling down? Will another team pick him up?

Looks like a deal was done mid season elsewhere. Word from West is the club isnt too impressed with his manager.

Given Rawlings drafted him and North holding pick 1 in the psd why would they offer anything. Hawks also keen.

Anyway, we move on.
Would he even get a game at either of those sides in all seriousness? Not sure theres a obvious suitor for his 2nd/3rd tall forward type. North have Larkey,CCJ,Comben,Xerri,Edwards and Zurhaar and the Hawks are also well stocked with Lewis,Gunston,Jeka and Kosi plus McEvoy spending plenty of time forward in his twilight years.

His type just doesnt really have a market to me and is a big reason why theres seemingly been zero interest.

So they could have drafted a WA boy Tim Kelly in 2017, but drafted this guy instead (and now have delisted him) then paid two first rounders and two seconds for Kelly.

On the plus side they did draft Oscar Allen that year.
Brander was taken at pick 13 in that 2017 AFL draft.

Yeah I am sure west coast or all 18 AFL clubs would of spent pick 13 on a 22/23 year old tim kelly.

I have posted this before and will post it Again.... on Tim kellys draft year in 2017, he averaged 28 disposals a game and scored 26 goals. In the previous 2 seasons, he averaged only 20 disposals a game.

I dont see the appeal for Geelong to be honest, would be behind Hawkins,Cameron,Ratugolea and probably even Rohan with the sort of role hed be looking to play as a forward, zero wing spots available and not convinced hes a good enough defence prospect to take games off a SDK/Draftee, needs to find a club low on forward depth for mine, could make it as the 2nd or 3rd option behind a strong key.

The query will be whether or not Geelong feel he is up to it as a defender probably I think. Given their lack of depth in that area (lets just call it big defenders, whether it's 2nd or 3rd tall doesn't really matter). With the loss of Krueger who they tried to Liam Jones, it would make some sense IMO. Schlensog ironically could be the option they go with, but if not they may still like Brander as they need some help right away and both are young but ready to go.

As far as the forwards go, Hawkins is 33. Despite his strong form, he isn't going to play forever and it's my view that Rohan needs to be moved on from. I know the club re-contracted him prior to the finals but he isn't taking Geelong anywhere, especially with his finals record.

Yeah I am sure west coast or all 18 AFL clubs would of spent pick 13 on a 22/23 year old tim kelly.

I have posted this before and will post it Again.... on Tim kellys draft year in 2017, he averaged 28 disposals a game and scored 26 goals. In the previous 2 seasons, he averaged only 20 disposals a game.

It is still relevant. Take your Tony Abbot tough man act elsewhere :D

The query will be whether or not Geelong feel he is up to it as a defender probably I think. Given their lack of depth in that area (lets just call it big defenders, whether it's 2nd or 3rd tall doesn't really matter). With the loss of Krueger who they tried to Liam Jones, it would make some sense IMO. Schlensog ironically could be the option they go with, but if not they may still like Brander as they need some help right away and both are young but ready to go.

As far as the forwards go, Hawkins is 33. Despite his strong form, he isn't going to play forever and it's my view that Rohan needs to be moved on from. I know the club re-contracted him prior to the finals but he isn't taking Geelong anywhere, especially with his finals record.
Im not convinced Brander is a plug and play key defender at any club and have been surprised how often on this thread people seem to imply that he would be based largely on a handful of U/18 games that were 4 seasons ago, needs a good strength and conditioning coach to get hold of him if he wants to make that position his own, Schlensog and Skinner in particular feel far better options if thats what a club is looking for, Alleer and Dean are two others Id be more keen to put the time into with youth on their side.

Im not convinced Brander is a plug and play key defender at any club and have been surprised how often on this thread people seem to imply that he would be based largely on a handful of U/18 games that were 4 seasons ago, needs a good strength and conditioning coach to get hold of him if he wants to make that position his own, Schlensog and Skinner in particular feel far better options if thats what a club is looking for, Alleer and Dean are two others Id be more keen to put the time into with youth on their side.
Brander is not a key defender or forward .
He could play as a flanker that is about it .

He is afraid of body contact and has squibbed multiple times just this year alone.

Good luck if you can train it out of him free to a good home .

Been saying the same. Tim Kelly’s rise was meteoric. He went from an ok/good state player to an elite state player over night and was commanding to be drafted

Brander is not a key defender or forward .
He could play as a flanker that is about it .

He is afraid of body contact and has squibbed multiple times just this year alone.

Good luck if you can train it out of him free to a good home .
Generally think once a bloke is into his 5th pre season on a senior list hes about as good as he is going to get, I wish Brander all the best but hes not someone I particularly want my club looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with list spots at a premium these days and salary cap pressure considerations, with some surprising players being delisted for those reasons (though some will be re-rookied), I doubt any club would pick up someone so far as underwhelming as Brander, unless in the rookie draft.

If he was any good Id argue hed have nailed down a spot at the Eagles, they havent exactly been injury free the last 12-24 months at either end yet guys like Edwards,Rotham,Williams,Waterman all got selected ahead of him, I dont really buy into the no opportunity at West Coast angle thats been getting air time recently.

Oscar Allen was the same draft and look at the difference in output to date.

Mate, you need to actually read my post.

I said IF Geelong feel he is up to it as a defender, IF. I then went on to say that he would be a big defender, but no more than 2nd or more likely 3rd so I'm not advocating that he plays on Dixon or McKay types. Brander would almost certainly do better than a 2nd tall type Geelong take in the draft, I don't feel that point is really up for debate and he may come into calculations up forward down the line - IF Geelong are still interested.

Surely Geelong think about it. Krueger out, Brander in?

We have chased him in the past and we need tall defenders so we might chase him again. I still reckon he goes to hawthorn though.

I do agree list reductions are causing fringe guys at a lot of clubs to get cut who wouldnt normally get cut as they have ability. I dont think brander has ever been played in his ideal position so i think any assessment of him has to factor that in.

A little touchy? You do realise we had those picks for Cameron because the Eagles gave us the picks for Kelly right? Who was playing in WA under the Eagle's noses.......
Not this s**t again. WC intended to draft him with the pick a couple after the one used by Geelong to draft him, Everyone in the west knew we aimed to draft him. They rolled the dice that he would still be there but it didn't pan out, so be it. The dribble from the east that the Cats were the only ones to recognise his potential is typical Vic self love.

I do agree list reductions are causing fringe guys at a lot of clubs to get cut who wouldnt normally get cut as they have ability. I dont think brander has ever been played in his ideal position so i think any assessment of him has to factor that in.

Reckon Brander will need to play his trade in one of the mqjor state leagues next year and hopefully perform to his potential before getting another chance at AFL level again

Suspect he was taking at pick #13 in his draft year is the major reason why there is some kind of interest in him tbh

Generally think once a bloke is into his 5th pre season on a senior list hes about as good as he is going to get, I wish Brander all the best but hes not someone I particularly want my club looking at.
Brander still has improvements left in him i just don't think he will make it as a KPP .

He has a lot of talent and went some ways to becoming a wingman this year but he is just soft as butter and at his size should be pulling down contested marks against smaller opponents but he doesn't.

Not this sh*t again. WC intended to draft him with the pick a couple after the one used by Geelong to draft him, Everyone in the west knew we aimed to draft him. They rolled the dice that he would still be there but it didn't pan out, so be it. The dribble from the east that the Cats were the only ones to recognise his potential is typical Vic self love.
Yep we picked allen over Kelly.

Not unhappy with that at all

I can see Carlton picking him up.
Has a Macreadie feel to him unfortunately.
You mean how they were heavily overrated by the VFL media as youngsters in our academy that made McChins redder than normal and forced the reduction in size?

Then yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back