Opinion Jarryd Lyons - Are midfielders supposed to take this long?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with your line of reasoning but the chances of Thompson not playing finals this year are 0% if not injured.

For mine, Lyons fantastic form as not only an inside mid but also ball carrying high forward allows us this luxury. In saying that I think we could further improve the team by removing another slowing veteran who isn't offering much of unique value to the side atm in Douglas. But it's up to a young gun in the SANFL to force him out.

Perfectly right. Thommo is still spending huge amounts of time at stoppages and we need someone like that because Brad is early in his return and Matt burns himself out at 70% TOG. Dougie would probably be first in the gun if a decision was to be made. But given Thommo's last 8 weeks and the potential for his firm to deteriorate, stating there's 0% chance of him not playing is exactly the mindset that had Roo sitting on the bench being worthless in an elimination final.

Team first.

Starting to really find his place in the side and is making a mockery of Sando's theory that you can't play Thommo, M. Crouch and JL in the same side

JL is out of contract, wants to stay however he may get offered a better deal elsewhere

And as he explained in the interview with us on the podcast, he never wants to leave the club. He wants to continue to work, to perform and be picked on his merits and repay the faith from the club in picking him in the first place. Loves it here, loves the boys and the club. He's been offered plenty of opportunities to leave before and was not interested then.

I think we are treating the rotation cap differently to other sides and keeping forwards and backs on the field, so midfielders can spend more time resting on the bench rather than resting forward or back.

I was planning to do this analysis a while ago when I noticed that Talia's TOG had increased since the first few games. I think they've definitely changed the way they use their rotations. I will try to do this properly later in the week.

Some people now look like absolute boobs with their opinion of Lyons.
All it took was him to play well in actual games, rather than whispered legends of his match winning performance, not caught on film, in the round 27 away game versus the East Fitzroy Pangolins.

I think you could see Lyons potential from round 16,2013 when he nearly single-handedly got us over the line with 17 disposals and 4 goals. It was the sub vest that was preventing us from seeing his full potential from 2012-15 and also being dropped week in week out. Finally the club is backing him in and he is starting to repay the faith put in him

On side note I really hope we can eventually see success stories like this with CEY and Grigg as I believe they are both very capable best 22 players. I see both CEY and Grigg as automatic replacements for Thompson once he eventually retires.

please don't let them go to another team, would be a very dumb move for the club.

Possibly, but I think the euphoria here may be just a little over the top.
Hes been good. Is that enough?

He's 23, he's played 49 games (many as sub), and this season he's been very good. Pyke gave him 3 coaches votes on Saturday night. It's more than enough. I'm always confident when he picks up the ball anywhere near the forward line that he's going to hit a target or kick a goal.

Awesome news, finally getting recognition for his hard work :) do you agree his is very much in the Tyson Edwards mould, always does his job without setting the world on fire.

Possibly, but I think the euphoria here may be just a little over the top.
Hes been good. Is that enough?
Euphoria is overstating it a bit. Just giving the guy some overdue recognition. I would say he's been very good, which for a sub-fifty-gamer is definitely enough at this stage. May hold him to higher standards after another year as a regular senior player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome news, finally getting recognition for his hard work :) do you agree his is very much in the Tyson Edwards mould, always does his job without setting the world on fire.
Although I get where you're coming from he's ability to play one touch football, overhead marking, and clutch goal kicking reminds me more of porps.

Yeah you are right about that he does show a lot of porps in him. I do however think in terms of not getting as much recognition it reminds me of Edwards.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Player Ratings loves Tom Lynch.
There was a point in time, earlier in the year, where Betts, Jenkins and Walker were all in the top 8 for goals I think it was, and the only Crows forward in their Team of the Year was Tom Lynch.

As for Lyons, he's come along way this year.
It's such a luxury having a fringe player in the team who just plays his role every week, and more importantly, pretty much always kicks a goal.
Scoreboard pressure from inside midfielders is a rare commodity. He's more or less playing the role that Douglas has played for the last however many years and is doing a fantastic job.

All it took was him to play well in actual games, rather than whispered legends of his match winning performance, not caught on film, in the round 27 away game versus the East Fitzroy Pangolins.

Agree, it was either that or watching him rack up over 10 possessions every quarter after coming on as a sub. Of course, this was explained away as not being relevant due to him being fresh. And yet when other un-named players of experience would hit 6 in a half or 4 in a quarter it would be hailed as a superb effort from a difficult role.

Lyons massive point of difference with our other mids is that he kicks the ball 80% of the time

So while he's slow he does run / carry and take the game forward and is able to hit up targets. His metres gained stats are very high for inside type mid, in fact he's prob more an inside / outside mid with the way he plays

He's also able to go forward and impact in air and also average a goal a game which guys like the crouch brothers and Thommo
can't really do

The main thing that I underestimated him on was his kicking and his ability to get to contests which was no doubt helped by a full pre season

Lyons massive point of difference with out other mids is that he kicks the ball 80% of the time

So while he's slow he does run / carry and take the game forward and is able to hit up medium targets

He's also able to go forward and impact on air and also average a goal a game which guys like the crouch brothers and Thommo
can't really do

The main thing that I underestimated him on was his kicking and his ability to get to contests which was no doubt helped by a full pre season
Think it's pretty much his forward sense as he was a forward as a junior. Knows how to shift a defender to give him time to score. He wants the running power for the midfield. He's done quite well inside as well. Survived a white tail bite. Get on him for finals player.

He's a very crisp player. I feel comfortable when he has the ball that he'll make a good decision. Isn't overly blessed with athleticism or natural skill but he weights the ball perfectly on both feet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back