Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no way he comes to the Crows.
You can see it now. JHF unsigned mid way through next year. Crouch also unsigned. A million bucks in the salary cap to work with and plenty of draft captial.

We all know what happens next

You know - As much as getting JHF in via trade would likely be beneficial to us in the short term

It would be bad for the league in the long term.

What's the point of a draft, if players start demanding trades after 1 year.
It means the strong clubs who are at the top can get in the ear of players pre-draft. Commit to trading after a year. Then it leads to players not signing extensions and screwing over the club after 1-2 years.

Do we really want to see Jack Gunston situations on the regular?

I feel that would be bad for the league, and the game as a whole.

How would you feel if Rachele turns around after Rd 22, packs his bags, flys back to Melbourne, never returns and says trade me to Carlton?

Extend the automatic 1st round contract from 2 to 3 years, then make them unable to be traded in their first 2 seasons in the league.

And this isn't about me not wanting JHF. It's about me believing that getting a precedence like this, could disrupt the balance of the competition. Make it harder for rebuilding clubs to rebuild, and prolong a teams era of dominance.
Gun #1 draft pick might head to Adelaide would be the time the AFL decides enough is enough we have to do something about player exodus too.

Dawsons step dad wasn’t a Port player, it’s not a comparable situation and Dawson was a Crows supporter
What's that got to do with my respond to "There's no way he comes to the Crows" when Dawson was certain to select Port Power? A lot of player's dad (let alone step dad) who have played AFL where their son (let alone step son) don't play for the same club.

He said on AA the other night that he was missing home.
Didn’t sound like he was great at cooking nor was his house mate, the club was getting them lessons.
Seems pretty poor from a club point of view.
There’s no downside to putting off negotiations unless he gets injured, clubs will raise his $ value for north.
Not sure why Hosts families still aren't used, sometimes the last thing an 18 year old from a different state needs is another 18-20 housemate, particularly when they have to stick to a diet plan, and are exhausted after becoming an elite athlete for the first time.

He said on AA the other night that he was missing home.
Didn’t sound like he was great at cooking nor was his house mate, the club was getting them lessons.
Seems pretty poor from a club point of view.
There’s no downside to putting off negotiations unless he gets injured, clubs will raise his $ value for north.
That's actually very common for first/second year players to do, even some older players get around it as they just enjoy the education or find a passion in it.

He would choose Port over us due to his step-dads connection IMO.
To be fair, Fabian played in five different states and territories over his career, including 3 different AFL clubs - he would have mentored Jason to be prepared to play anywhere. I am not sure homesickness is likely to be a problem.

North's CEO commenting about the JHF situation:

“But what we can do is provide the best possible environment for Jason and for other recruits and for other players to get better. An environment where they’re learning and growing and developing and enjoying coming to work.

If that's not a veiled swipe at Noble to shut his trap and start building a learning environment, then I dont know what is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North's CEO commenting about the JHF situation:

If that's not a veiled swipe at Noble to shut his trap and start building a learning environment, then I dont know what is.

Hard to enjoy coming to work when you’re losing by 10+ goals each week

To be fair, Fabian played in five different states and territories over his career, including 3 different AFL clubs - he would have mentored Jason to be prepared to play anywhere. I am not sure homesickness is likely to be a problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if JHF does leave it would be to one of the big Victorian clubs or to a market like Sydney, Brisbane where football players are left alone which seems would suit him. By coming back to Adelaide he limiting his options.

Man, you post some weird s**t

Adelaide limits his options, but Sydney and Brisbane don’t?
Pretty straight forward. If he comes to Adelaide he has the choice of what one club in port offer him as we know he isn't coming to the crows. The home factor draw is also overrated and both SA clubs are a long way away from a flag. Therefore if he wants to leave and is smart he will take the best offer out of the other 16 clubs where he has a chance of genuine success.

I wouldn't be surprised if he took up an offer up north in Sydney or Brisbane if it's on par with a big Vic club as he would be fairly anonymous in that market. Another option would be Freo which are building a possible future dynasty and is the club he barracked for as a kid. In saying that he is just as likely to go to a big Vic club as his sponsorship opportunities outside of football are greatest. If we aren't getting him I would prefer to see him at any other club other than port.

This is probably all moot anyway as i think the delaying of contract is purely a tactic for North to pony up more $$ and he probably has no intention of leaving. If he ever comes back to Adelaide it won't be to the crows so it's not even worthwhile discussing him imo. It would be Motlop 2.0.

Last edited:
That's actually very common for first/second year players to do, even some older players get around it as they just enjoy the education or find a passion in it.
Yeah, he just didn’t seem like he was enjoying it, they probably should be doing the lessons whilst with a host family. As someone pointed out before, it’s a fair thing to lump on a player to expect them to move states become a professional player and live on your own for the first time.
Said he eats out a fair bit at cafes, presumably as he doesn’t like/ can’t cook the required meals currently.

He's going to resign... his value will go up more and more every week and north will pay more the longer it drags on to keep him.

Huge if true

Back