Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's clear that Kennett is one of those leaders that wants to be front and centre, drive things through actions and words in public, and be seen as a figurehead with lots of power. I get the feeling Dunstall would have equal or more power in the footy world, but would wield it selectively and behind the scenes, empowering others to drive positive change.

Jeff has become a non divisive figure on this board - everyone hates him. He is a foghorn and troller of the highest order. He has over balanced the narrative from keeping us relevant as AFL power brokers to a position where the club only makes headlines for the wrong reasons. His stewardship of the Clarkson/Mitchell fiasco is seen by most as one of the final chapters of a tenure that has outlasted its usefulness. Most see irony in the fact that Jeff has ousted a four time premiership coach without a good look in the mirror. But, all said, something had to give with Clarkson.

Clarko has become all spin but no delivery. Living on past glories but slowly driving the club into the ground. If you take a second to think about it what else would a club do with a coach as successful and revered as Clarkson who had become a non viable coaching entity? A coach who costs too much, was delivering increasingly poor on field results, and had demonstrated a despotic obstinance on list management and game plan that left many an assistant coach, player and director with increasingly diminished trust. It’s possible that Clarko doesn’t deserve these perceptions and that his decisions on recruiting and game plan were all sound however if on field performance is anything to go by……

So Jeff and the board were left with a conundrum. Whether true or not they perceived Clarkson continuing beyond 2022 as increasingly untenable. They gave their best effort to a plan that was never going to work but was formed with good intention. They tried to ease Clarkson out without the indignity of a sacking. That this plan didn’t pan out is as much a blight on Clarkson as it is the board. Clarkson made no effort for the plan to work. If he had tried properly, and opened himself up to Sam Mitchell’s future plans, then it could be argued he made a genuine effort. He did the opposite of this.

The decision to end Clarkson’s tenure was sad but correct. It was poorly managed but I actually think Jeff and the board did their best on this one. Jeff has been honest and respectful to Clarkson in every public forum. He has tried his best to show respect to a club great. There was no good ending in the Clarkson space. It is possible that this change of coach decision may end up being seen as a Kennett master stroke. Yet every pundit is all in on labeling it an outright disaster. It might seem a remote possibility right now but success may eventuate. Strong leadership is sometimes about making the tough call that is right but not popular. For instance moving on Mitchell in 2016 for career development.

Clarkson earns 900 large next year (from our membership coffers) for doing nothing more than pruning the roses. Jeff is a club volunteer doing his best and suffering public derision. He will get no laps of honor or statue. A little perspective could be a good thing.

Last edited:

Hawkk and his propaganda has been working.

Our 100M+ facility has not been built.....yet.
Nor has the AFLW license been granted......yet.

You know both will happen.

And that’s candy...

Much like the successor which never came about.

Where is our strategy to leave Tasmania with honour? As it stands our president’s public position is that we are the ‘Tassie Hawks’ and a relocation isn’t off the table.

I would just like a president who isn’t a misogynist, who doesn’t blame new arrivals for crowd violence at games, who can bring Cyril back to the club and who is motivated to grow the club in Victoria and secure a better deal with the AFL for our games at the MCG and Docklands - where more than 60,000 of our 77,000 members reside (Tasmania is less then 9,000)

In itself is that too much to ask?

I was Kennett’s biggest cheerleader on this place from 2004 to 2010, that all changed after he knocked back the deal of a lifetime because ‘football is more than about money alone...’

I guess it is about propping up political hacks egos instead?

So I presume you were happy with the comments and the lack of public response from the CEO - who is rewarded with a 5 year extension (a hot to trot commodity in the AFL community...)

Hawthorn is the only club in the competition that has a member elected President who is openly canvassing relocation without the consent of the members.

Consider that.

Jeff has become a non divisive figure on this board - everyone hates him. He is a foghorn and troller of the highest order. He has over balanced the narrative from keeping us relevant as AFL power brokers to a position where the club only makes headlines for the wrong reasons. His stewardship of the Clarkson/Mitchell fiasco is seen by most as one of the final chapters of a tenure that has outlasted its usefulness. Most see irony in the fact that Jeff has ousted a four time premiership coach without a good look in the mirror. But, all said, something had to give with Clarkson.

Clarko has become all spin but no delivery. Living on past glories but slowly driving the club into the ground. If you take a second to think about it what else would a club do with a coach as successful and revered as Clarkson who had become a non viable coaching entity? A coach who costs too much, was delivering increasingly poor on field results, and had demonstrated a despotic obstinance on list management and game plan that left many an assistant coach, player and director with increasingly diminished trust. It’s possible that Clarko doesn’t deserve these perceptions and that his decisions on recruiting and game plan were all sound however if on field performance is anything to go by……

So Jeff and the board were left with a conundrum. Whether true or not they perceived Clarkson continuing beyond 2022 as increasingly untenable. They gave their best effort to a plan that was never going to work but was formed with good intention. They tried to ease Clarkson out without the indignity of a sacking. That this plan didn’t pan out is as much a blight on Clarkson as it is the board. Clarkson made no effort for the plan to work. If he had tried properly, and opened himself up to Sam Mitchell’s future plans, then it could be argued he made a genuine effort. He did the opposite of this.

The decision to end Clarkson’s tenure was sad but correct. It was poorly managed but I actually think Jeff and the board did their best on this one. Jeff has been honest and respectful to Clarkson in every public forum. He has tried his best to show respect to a club great. There was no good ending in the Clarkson space. It is possible that this change of coach decision may end up being seen as a Kennett master stroke. Yet every pundit is all in on labeling it an outright disaster. It might seem a remote possibility right now but success may eventuate. Strong leadership is sometimes about making the tough call that is right but not popular. For instance moving on Mitchell in 2016 for career development.

Clarkson earns 900 large next year (from our membership coffers) for doing nothing more than pruning the roses. Jeff is a club volunteer doing his best and suffering public derision. He will get no laps of honor or statue. A little perspective could be a good thing.
Are you Andrew Bolt? Start writing on the problem and then somehow end up blaming Labor?

Neither Jeff or Clarko are blameless here both have blood on their hands. But to make out poor old Jeff Kennett (the Master Politician) is blameless in how this played out....really?!?

The more I think about it, I think the Master Coach out strategised the Master Politician.

So I presume you were happy with the comments and the lack of public response from the CEO - who is rewarded with a 5 year extension (a hot to trot commodity in the AFL community...)

Hawthorn is the only club in the competition that has a member elected President who is openly canvassing relocation without the consent of the members.

Consider that.

Not sure I understand your first query re our CEO - so I leave that one.

Regarding the second point. Kennett's casual suggestion he made public on the possibility of the club relocating to Tassie was at the time and remains, I think you'll find, simply political posturing and mind games with Tas Gov. and the AFL.
Accordingly, I'm yet to receive any related formal or other communication as a member to suggest otherwise...?

Last edited:
Not sure I understand your first query re our CEO - so I leave that be.

Regarding the second point. Kennett's casual suggestion he made public on the possibility of the club relocating to Tassie was at the time and remains, I think you'll find, simply political posturing and mind games with Tas Gov. and the AFL.
Accordingly, I'm yet to receive any related formal or other communication as a member to suggest otherwise...?

I keep hearing this….. what were these supposed mind games and the purpose of them

What has he done since his return that has been great?

Hasn’t delivered Dingley, hasn’t delivered a successor, hasn’t found revenue streams to cut our connection to pokies, hasn’t gained a AFLW license…

Has suggested we could relocate to Tasmania, has proudly shown his connection to Hawthorn while picking fights with the state government on national TV, has botched the exit of one our greatest ever coaches and HFC people.
Yes, but that is all just part of his awesome negotiation tactics that the haters can’t see. Exactly what he has negotiated remains a mystery, visible only to non haters, incapable of explaining it

Bruno - this is really well thought-out and I think you are absolutely spot-on. I could see the seeds of this several years back when we saw good people starting to leave the club for no apparent gain in their new positions. As I said in a previous post I don't take sides, but I get a little bemused when people put words in Jeffs mouth just to fuel the vitriol furnace.

I don’t hate Kennett.

What’s become non-decisive on this board is that the emotional cry-fest is universal. There’s no hint of a rational discussion to be had. You’ve managed to build a nice little echo chamber but you mistake the fact that you’ve driven all the adults away with agreement.

You know when you’re ranting at Christmas and relatives quietly get up and walk out of the room? Same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was poorly managed but I actually think Jeff and the board did their best on this one. Jeff has been honest and respectful to Clarkson in every public forum. He has tried his best to show respect to a club great. There was no good ending in the Clarkson space. It is possible that this change of coach decision may end up being seen as a Kennett master stroke. Yet every pundit is all in on labeling it an outright disaster. It might seem a remote possibility right now but success may eventuate. Strong leadership is sometimes about making the tough call that is right but not popular. For instance moving on Mitchell in 2016 for career development.Clarkson earns 900 large next year (from our membership coffers) for doing nothing more than pruning the roses. Jeff is a club volunteer doing his best and suffering public derision. He will get no laps of honor or statue. A little perspective could be a good thing.

There's reimagining a reality, and then there is this paragraph. I mean, really....? A Kennet masterstroke?

Maybe if you are clueless about Sam's move to West Coast and then him returning to the club.

Then there is the small issue of Kennet's historical disrespect towards Clarkson. Drop the coach to the 2s.... Kennet masterstroke!

It's very easy to pretend you respect someone, when you're maneuvering behind the scenes to push them under the bus in circumstances they won't like.

This is just another Jeff calamity.

Clarkson had already started to leave, and laid down groundwork for succession when Sam was traded to West Coast no less.

Jeff presumably just couldn't resist turning it into a circus.

And 900k for 4 flags?

What's Jeff cost the club in negative PR over the years?

Last edited:
What’s become non-decisive on this board is that the emotional cry-fest is universal. There’s no hint of a rational discussion to be had. You’ve managed to build a nice little echo chamber but you mistake the fact that you’ve driven all the adults away with agreement.

The lols at anyone crying 'rational discussion' in the defense of Jeff, and then using terms such as 'adult'....

But let me discuss it 'rationally' as you so eloquently put it.

Your post is something akin to drunken relative ranting at Christmas, pooping their pants, and then falling out a window.

The lols at anyone crying 'rational discussion' in the defense of Jeff, and then using terms such as 'adult'....

But let me discuss it 'rationally' as you so eloquently put it.

Your post is something akin to drunken relative ranting at Christmas, pooping their pants, and then falling out a window.

I could not have made up a post that more robustly proved my point. My compliments.

I keep hearing this….. what were these supposed mind games and the purpose of them

There was no point - except to compromise and potentially damage our brand as a strong Victorian brand.

Not sure I understand your first query re our CEO - so I leave that one.

I don’t see Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast (the clubs on our pegging) selling out the brand to negotiate a commercial sponsorship agreement but I could be wrong?

Was he also pushing this narrative in 2014 and 2016 when he pushed for us to replace to Launceston in addition to 2021?

Who knows, perhaps relocating to Launceston (population 60,000) makes compelling sense - it’s not like we have 80,000 members as it is?

We need sound leadership over next 3-5 years.

Peggy and B Gale have shown that if you have a plan and stick it through things can happen .

We will lose the Tassie 5 mill per year sponsorship at some stage soon. 5 mill per year is a massive amount of money to claw back when you consider we normally post a profit somewhere around the 2-3 mill mark when we are going well.

Tassie
Dingley
On field changes coming
New Prez????

Times are a changing and the challenges are in front of us .

Get a strong group of leaders that are aligned to a long term plan and buckle up.

Go Hawks .

We need sound leadership over next 3-5 years.

Peggy and B Gale have shown that if you have a plan and stick it through things can happen .

We will lose the Tassie 5 mill per year sponsorship at some stage soon. 5 mill per year is a massive amount of money to claw back when you consider we normally post a profit somewhere around the 2-3 mill mark when we are going well.

Tassie
Dingley
On field changes coming
New Prez????

Times are a changing and the challenges are in front of us .

Get a strong group of leaders that are aligned to a long term plan and buckle up.

Go Hawks .

the reason to go to tassie initially was bad stadium deals in Melbourne especially docklands. Since the mcg grand final extension, the stadium deals hve improved significantly, so the leaving of tassie is not what it was financially

If we lost the agreement presumably we have a major sponsorship to go to market for - premium real estate.

In addition Hawthorn is one of 4 non financially assisted clubs - so we have plenty of wriggle room.

Not to mention the 30 per cent increase in Victorian membership (approx 60k of 77k membership) and MCG reserve seating (30k) which the returned games will bring.

If Tasmania bankrupts the club (and presuming we would lose our 9k members which is just 10 per cent of total Tasmanian AFL members anyway) it is an absolute inditement on the management of this club over the last 20 years.

In itself it would be absolutely farcical for the 5th biggest Victorian club (and the 6th or 7th biggest club in the AFL) with the most success since 1925 and during the AFL era...

Last edited:
If we lost the agreement presumably we have a major sponsorship to go to market for - premium real estate.

In addition Hawthorn is one of 4 non financially assisted clubs - so we have plenty of wriggle room.

Not to mention the 30 per cent increase in Victorian membership (approx 60k of 77k membership) and MCG reserve seating (30k) which the the returned games will bring.

If Tasmania bankrupts the club it is an absolute inditement on the management of this club over the last 20 years.

In itself it would be absolutely farcical for the 5th biggest Victorian club (and the 6th or 7th biggest club in the AFL) with the most success since 1925 and during the AFL era...

It won’t bankrupt us but no major sponsorships in the AFL pay anywhere near 5 million per year. We have some work to recoup that loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back