Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah righto...

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett raised eyebrows at his own board table after recently raising the prospect of the Hawks committing to 10 games a season in Tasmania

In the last 6 months we have seen the ‘art of the deal’ dinosaur...

- cost the club a state government grant with his rogue Twitter account
- used the club as his a sounding board for his own political expedience (see Today Show, Sky News and Sunrise crosses with Hawthorn apparel
- failed to find a successor (which was his whole purpose for coming back) and elect himself (unopposed) to another term as president
- encourage Clarkson (our most successful coach ever) to search for other coaching opportunities (according to a C9 / Fairfax article yesterday)
- float a 10 game relocation package with the club board and a South Australian radio station without properly communicating to the members (according to Caroline Wilson above)

This isn’t liberal vs labor anymore. How is it that his position as president is still tenable?

Any other club would have the EGM papers circulated by now and have him on his backside. But at Hawthorn we have crickets

Yeah righto...

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett raised eyebrows at his own board table after recently raising the prospect of the Hawks committing to 10 games a season in Tasmania

- used the club as his a sounding board for his own political expedience (see Today Show, Sky News and Sunrise crosses with Hawthorn apparel
- failed to find a successor (which was his whole purpose for coming back) and elect himself (unopposed) to another term as president
- encourage Clarkson (our most successful coach ever) to search for other coaching opportunities (according to a C9 / Fairfax article yesterday)
- float a 10 game relocation package with the club board and a South Australian radio station without properly communicating to the members (according to Caroline Wilson above)

This isn’t liberal vs labor anymore. How is it that his position as president is still tenable?

Any other club would have the EGM papers circulated by now and have him on his backside. But at Hawthorn we have crickets

A serious challenge has to be mounted. Kennett is obsessed with Tasmania and is doing it to the detriment of the vast majority of the club's membership. We need a new president and it needs to happen swiftly.

I want to know if all the Jeff defenders (and I have been one at times, but not so much recently) agree with Jeff putting forward that we commit to 10 out 11 Home games being played in Tasmania. Don't want to hear responses like "he is a mastermind" just want to know if you back him on this proposal.

I want to know if all the Jeff defenders (and I have been one at times, but not so much recently) agree with Jeff putting forward that we commit to 10 out 11 Home games being played in Tasmania. Don't want to hear responses like "he is a mastermind" just want to know if you back him on this proposal.

I have sort of been a supporter of him, but not so much that i argue for him..

But to be honest, just personally, i'm a little sick of him. With all the Clarkson talk where i feel any club president would be over the moon to have him not only as the coach but a representative of the club and this whole Tasmania fiasco... I'm at the point where i hope someone good puts their hand up and challenges him now.

I don't know too much about the ins and outs of how the decision making at the club works, but i hope there are people with enough say that can put a stop to the non-stop sh**.

I get that clubs have to be open minded about coaches, but i still feel like Clarko is the best, or one of the very best in the comp. The players still appear to love playing for him which says a lot. Think there is this fascination with trying to have a younger coach... but there are no guarantees he will be better or even near as good as Clarko is or has been.

Just my opinion.

For a start, he can take off the Hawthorn attire when he talks politics...and insist on the title "Former Victorian premier" when he is interviewed.

Jeff has told us in emails to calm the farm.

what should not have happened..... is his inner discussions/negotiations/thoughts with Tasmania about potential deals etc so saying what he did on radio was his biggest mistake as everyone was always going to jump up and down.

Everyone knows Hawthorn are not relocating or playing 10-11 games a year in Tasmania.

Kennett does not want to lose the 5 mill we get paid each year so is massively grandstanding to show the Tassie Govt and people how much we love them.

Anyway bring on the start of the season and let’s focus on the footy and not Jeff for a while.

Kennett does not want to lose the 5 mill we get paid each year so is massively grandstanding to show the Tassie Govt and people how much we love them.

I keep seeing this offered as Jeff’s grand scheme - but my counterpoint is continually if this is just grandstanding won’t the Tasmanian authorities know this? If so, what’s the ******* point? If they know it’s just bullshit then why say it and go to the board with plans for 10 games interstate if it’s only going to agitate the vast bulk of the membership? It achieves bugger all and we have a president who just says stupid s**t for the sake of saying stupid s**t.

‘Everyone knows Hawthorn won’t merge with melbourne’. Wake up Jeff!!!!!

My take is the 10 game package has been offered to North - the details are different each time they are ‘leaked’ - and Jeff has floated it internally.

They did the same with Gold Coast even though we were in a commitment to tassie at that time.

Personally I’ll take ‘the pokies Hawks’ based at the dome before any of that * I would still expect big games to be at the G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**crickets**

Jeff has told us in emails to calm the farm.

what should not have happened..... is his inner discussions/negotiations/thoughts with Tasmania about potential deals etc so saying what he did on radio was his biggest mistake as everyone was always going to jump up and down.

Everyone knows Hawthorn are not relocating or playing 10-11 games a year in Tasmania.

Anyway bring on the start of the season and let’s focus on the footy and not Jeff for a while.
You're not answering the question. Do you agree with relocating the 10 of 11 home games to Tasmania?

If not, do you agree with the President of the Hawthorn Football Club pursuing this at the Board? (Not asking about the media here)

Jeff's public obsession over the last 6 months with relocation/increased games in Tasmania is clearly an attempt to curry favour with the existing Tasmanian Government which is playing hard ball with us regarding our contract beyond 2021 (and the AFL re: tassie team).

He knows the ideas he's throwing out won't happen in a million years but his commentary serves the purpose of supporting Tasmania's angling for a team (which inevitably will happen at some point over the next 2-5 years) and building of that good faith to ensure Hawthorn is able to maintain our financial interest and investments in the state over the past 20 years. This grandstanding mounts the political pressure on the AFL to increase its investment in Tas.

No doubt Jeff runs his mouth excessively, but he's not as stupid as some on here would suggest.

Jeff's public obsession over the last 6 months with relocation/increased games in Tasmania is clearly an attempt to curry favour with the existing Tasmanian Government which is playing hard ball with us regarding our contract beyond 2021 (and the AFL re: tassie team).

He knows the ideas he's throwing out won't happen in a million years but his commentary serves the purpose of supporting Tasmania's angling for a team (which inevitably will happen at some point over the next 2-5 years) and building of that good faith to ensure Hawthorn is able to maintain our financial interest and investments in the state over the past 20 years. This grandstanding mounts the political pressure on the AFL to increase its investment in Tas.

No doubt Jeff runs his mouth excessively, but he's not as stupid as some on here would suggest.

Not suggesting that, just that he has emotional beer goggles with tassie and reports are he acts alone in this matter, on behalf of the club.

This sort of thing is the reason Jeff himself introduced a cap on presidential and directors terms.

Or you could believe he came back for a second term ‘because we needed him and there’s no one else’

Yeah righto...

It was never liberal v labor. Only Hawthorn. But the rest of your post is spot on. It’s alarming that there has been no action. We have a very passive and conservative supporter base, which has often served us well, but the current inertia is problematic. Kennett needs to go and we need a board and President that will publicly rule out anymore relocation talk

Why would anyone think that putting forward a view totally contrary to the wishes of the Tas govt will curry favour with them. The man is an embarrassment. Worse than Eddie. I agree that most other clubs would not stand for his recent behaviour. Since Don Scott and Ian Dicker opposed the board in 1996, our supporters tend to defend everything that comes out of Jeff’s mouth.
He has overstayed his welcome and must go.

I see we’ve still got people saying that’s he’s just bluffing to curry favour with the Tassie govt....because, you know, they’re a govt who are completely incapable of identifying that they’re being played.

🤦‍♂️

I see we’ve still got people saying that’s he’s just bluffing to curry favour with the Tassie govt....because, you know, they’re a govt who are completely incapable of identifying that they’re being played.

🤦‍♂️
But Jeff is a politician unlike those people down in Tasmania that are in the Government. What do you call them again? Oh wait......politicians......

🤦‍♂️
Yep. A ploy too clever for the Tasmanian government, yet somehow decoded by the Bigfooty brains trust.

🤦‍♂️

I do love the line of thing that apparently the Tasmanian government are basically Cletus from The Simpsons. Gutewin is a sharp operator and to think otherwise is absolutely daft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back