Jenkins - The perfect prototype for the new rule changes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain these rules to me in like, 50 words or less

1Centre 2bounce 3rule 4will 5result 6in 7some 8more 9goals 10due 11to 12no 13more 14flooding 15at 16centre 17bounces. 18no 19otherwise 20meaningful 21changes. 22Especially 23when 24you 25have 26a 27long, 28line 29and 30right 31strategy.

The best thing about the rule change is it prevents us self harming

Having our fastest forward come off the back of the square works a maximum of once per game (usually zero) and also means we're always outnumbered should we win a centre clearance.

The only forwards left to kick to are our biggest and slowest forwards so it rebounds with ease.

This will force us to keep a proper structure ahead of the ball and we'll be much better for it

The best thing about the rule change is it prevents us self harming

Having our fastest forward come off the back of the square works a maximum of once per game (usually zero) and also means we're always outnumbered should we win a centre clearance.

The only forwards left to kick to are our biggest and slowest forwards so it rebounds with ease.

This will force us to keep a proper structure ahead of the ball and we'll be much better for it

I think we’re in trouble. Sauce is a terrible centre square ruckman because he can’t jump. I reckon that if Sauce is at the centre bounce, his shitfull centre rucking will result in 2-3 easy goals per game to our opposition. Sauce is great around the ground as he wears opponents into the ground. But he is probably the worst centre square ruckman in the entire competition. I hope we fix that via selection, but history is not on our side"

The only difference will be that strong contested marking forwards might snag an extra goal or so per game. This won’t help Jenkins or any of our forward line. It could help Tex as an excellent lead up forward but that will require a clean centre bounce exit on foot to a 50 with space to lead into. We might see a bit of this with Brouch back.

It may reward that a bit more, however, the teams that will do well this season will be the ones who find reliable methods to deny that centre bounce exit. So I have my doubts much will change.

However, it may help change a 30-40 point win into a 50-60.

It may reward that a bit more, however, the teams that will do well this season will be the ones who find reliable methods to deny that centre bounce exit. So I have my doubts much will change.

However, it may help change a 30-40 point win into a 50-60.

Conceding pressureless CB losses will be more damaging going forward than previously. This is our singular risk of preliminary finals this year. Sauce is s**t at the CB and we're not great at tackling in there. Brouch helps us, but he can't be at every centre bounce. And Sauce won't be sent to the 2's, lock him in for as many games as he wants to play. Which is all of them.

Conceding pressureless CB losses will be more damaging going forward than previously. This is our singular risk of preliminary finals this year. Sauce is s**t at the CB and we're not great at tackling in there. Brouch helps us, but he can't be at every centre bounce. And Sauce won't be sent to the 2's, lock him in for as many games as he wants to play. Which is all of them.

Yes, and no. Centre bounces being pressure-less have always been very dangerous, so I doubt it'll have as big of an impact as what your stating, and yes, it is our main risk this season seeing pressure will become even more important.

No, Brouch can't. However if he is there you remove a weak link from last year , and helps strengthens that next tier. That said, I reckon there would be a fair bit of value in doing something similar to how small forwards have developed, and just using a super fast, aggro guy to give defense in the midfield to try to make sure you nullify as much as possible.

I disagree, we'd have replaced Sauce last year had O'Brien not been wiped out for the season early on. Even if it was just for a little period to have worked out if we need a new ruck or not.

The one thing I haven't heard anyone in the media mention with the new rules is that it's going to stop coaches from dropping loose players into the backlines at cruicial points of the game.

It always been a standard tactic of coaches to drop a loose player back if the other team had gotten a run on or late in the game if the scores are really close, but now that's no longer going to be possible.

It's going to be interesting to see if teams are still going to be able to protect their lead in the dying stages of the game if they're under siege.

The one thing I haven't heard anyone in the media mention with the new rules is that it's going to stop coaches from dropping loose players into the backlines at cruicial points of the game.

It always been a standard tactic of coaches to drop a loose player back if the other team had gotten a run on or late in the game if the scores are really close, but now that's no longer going to be possible.

It's going to be interesting to see if teams are still going to be able to protect their lead in the dying stages of the game if they're under siege.

But dropping players back to protect a lead is fine as long as there is no centre bounces?

But dropping players back to protect a lead is fine as long as there is no centre bounces?
The point is you can't do it as effectively when a team gets a run on because you have to reset to 6-6-6 after every goal.

You could, however, start the 2 guys you want to drop behind the ball in the wing positions and roll your wing players to HFF. Then the wingers start defensive side on the wings and immediately drop back. It won't be as effective though.

Imagine a situation where the opposition kicks a goal with only 2 mins left and there's less than a goal in it.

Standard tactic for decades has been to send players back, but now that tactic is off the table, which is going to make it incredibly difficult to arrest back the ascendancy in a game.

Personally I think we could see games being won that wouldn't have been won in previous years.

Imagine a situation where the opposition kicks a goal with only 2 mins left and there's less than a goal in it.

Standard tactic for decades has been to send players back, but now that tactic is off the table, which is going to make it incredibly difficult to arrest back the ascendancy in a game.

Personally I think we could see games being won that wouldn't have been won in previous years.

I think it will be key to have your best players ready to go in the center at the end of the match. You don't want to get into a situation where key players are on the bench or cooked.

And while it's easier for a team to kick goals to win the match from behind, it's just as easier now for a team in the lead to pull away at the end

True but once a secondary ballup in the centre is called cant the players flood back?

True but once a secondary ballup in the centre is called cant the players flood back?

I think the issue is going to be that if player(s) are sprinting after the ball is bounced from the forward line to the back line late in the game to get numbers back they're not really going to be in a prime position to read the flight of the ball and intercept it, especially if it comes in quickly.

I don't have an issue with the new rules, but I do think teams no longer being able to stem the tide by dropping players behind the ball after a goal could fundamentally change the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the issue is going to be that if player(s) are sprinting after the ball is bounced from the forward line to the back line late in the game to get numbers back they're not really going to be in a prime position to read the flight of the ball and intercept it, especially if it comes in quickly.

I just think with the often secondary and third ball ups that invariably happens in the centre square there is plenty of time to get back and flood.

Port are going to suffer for the entire match, not just in the last two minutes.

I actually doubt it is, just will take some creative set ups seeing 6 - 6 - 6 doesn't actually lock in you in positions, so who is to say you don't sacrifice one of your wings by setting them up just outside of the D50 and have an adjust period to free up your half back the moment the centre bounce has taken place? Just have a similar set up in the forward line with a very fast player entering the back of the contest to not leave the wing free.

I just watched a ball up after the Westhoff goal and the Port player entered while the ball was still in the air. I th8nk Mick is making up rules as he goes.
I said "I Think" and replied "ditto" to needing to read the rul book to be sure. It was just my assumption based on common sense that it should apply until the ball clears the centre after a goal whether it's the first ball up or 5th if the aim of the rule is to reduce congestion at centre clearances. If the rule is different to that it doesn't make sense to me but I never claimed I was right and he was wrong, I just said what I thought the rule was. Hardly making them up as I go along. Just offering my understanding on the new rule which in this case sounds like it is wrong. Which makes the rule kind of pointless as the other user said, If everyone can pile in after the first ball up if its a secondary bounce in the middle. You're ignored as well for being a douche in how you communicate.

I said "I Think" and replied "ditto" to needing to read the rul book to be sure. It was just my assumption based on common sense that it should apply until the ball clears the centre after a goal whether it's the first ball up or 5th if the aim of the rule is to reduce congestion at centre clearances. If the rule is different to that it doesn't make sense to me but I never claimed I was right and he was wrong, I just said what I thought the rule was. Hardly making them up as I go along. Just offering my understanding on the new rule which in this case sounds like it is wrong. Which makes the rule kind of pointless as the other user said, If everyone can pile in after the first ball up if its a secondary bounce in the middle. You're ignored as well for being a douche in how you communicate.

Dammit

Havent they also relaxed the Hands in Back rule.

Great for Eddie and Tex.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah they have. As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe players can now actually put their hands in the back of oppo players. Complete 180 from not even the slightest open hand feather like touch that use to be a free.

[QUOTE="relapse, post: 59739017, member: 10920"]The one thing I haven't heard anyone in the media mention with the new rules is that it's going to stop coaches from dropping loose players into the backlines at cruicial points of the game.
[/QUOTE]

I've gotten sick of it being mentioned in the JLT telecasts. I get it, you won't be able to drop loose defenders back. Just a bit sick of hearing about it.

[QUOTE="relapse, post: 59739017, member: 10920"]The one thing I haven't heard anyone in the media mention with the new rules is that it's going to stop coaches from dropping loose players into the backlines at cruicial points of the game.

I've gotten sick of it being mentioned in the JLT telecasts. I get it, you won't be able to drop loose defenders back. Just a bit sick of hearing about it.[/QUOTE]
I get sick of hearing " bouncing ball" I mean no s**t, but loose ball is a better description, more professional. These men and women commentators just need to call a game, sometimes a little silence is fine.

Watching the game I think the new rules will make Laird a more valuable player since he can play one on one very well after centre clearances and then become a loose defender. There isn't an attacking defender in the competition who is as capable as playing as a one on one defender as he is so there will be lots of attacking defenders who will become a liability during centre bounces, but laird won't be one of them.

1Centre 2bounce 3rule 4will 5result 6in 7some 8more 9goals 10due 11to 12no 13more 14flooding 15at 16centre 17bounces. 18no 19otherwise 20meaningful 21changes. 22Especially 23when 24you 25have 26a 27long, 28line 29and 30right 31strategy.

That’s 62.

Otherwiseicouldsaythisisoneword. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back