fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
When: Thursday 1st March

Where: UNSW Canberra Oval

Time: 7:10pm

Not sure if it is the first second or third preseason game for the mens but rule adjustments are 8 on the bench and unlimited interchange so hopefully some of those needing a good run will have 3/4 to full game time
No injuries and a few standouts in all parts of the ground
I think the makeup will be half experienced and the rest fringe players including some of the first years
My predicted lineup

Shaw Davis Haynes
Griffen Corr Cumming
Scully Shiel Kelly
MDB Cameron TT
Bonar Patton Langdon
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
HH Flynn Keefe Lloyd Perryman Reid D Buckley Tiziani
Looking forward to seeing where some players line up for this game
Apologies if I missed anyone obvious but below are those not listed
Injured
Greene
Lobb
Deledio (Not ready IMO)
Setterfield
Buntine
Kennedy
Daniels
Rested
Ward
Whitfield
Tomlinson

When: Thursday 1st March

Where: UNSW Canberra Oval

Time: 7:10pm

Not sure if it is the first second or third preseason game for the mens but rule adjustments are 8 on the bench and unlimited interchange so hopefully some of those needing a good run will have 3/4 to full game time
No injuries and a few standouts in all parts of the ground
I think the makeup will be half experienced and the rest fringe players including some of the first years
My predicted lineup

Shaw Davis Haynes
Griffen Corr Cumming
Scully Shiel Kelly
MDB Cameron TT
Bonar Patton Langdon
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
HH Flynn Keefe Lloyd Perryman Reid D Buckley Tiziani
Looking forward to seeing where some players line up for this game
Apologies if I missed anyone obvious but below are those not listed
Injured
Greene
Lobb
Deledio (Not ready IMO)
Setterfield
Buntine
Kennedy
Daniels
Rested
Ward
Whitfield
Tomlinson
I hope I’m wrong but from what I’ve seen thus far I don’t think Flynn has what it takes to make it at afl level. I can’t fault his endeavour or his attitude.

I hope I’m wrong but from what I’ve seen thus far I don’t think Flynn has what it takes to make it at afl level. I can’t fault his endeavour or his attitude.
I will admit to not watching much of the NEAFL so open to others opinions but it does seem harsh that after a couple of years you are writing him off
He still has a couple of years before he will be expected to be pushing for selection and it also depends on who is in front of him for AFL selection. I would like for Flynn to play half ruck in the NEAFL this year for his development and the rest of the time as a forward so he can also be a goal scoring threat
As an example of persistence Simpson was delisted by the cats after 28 games over 8 seasons and I am sure there are many other examples

Spoke to both Rory and Shane about Matt, they were both extremely positive on him, he is a kid and big, big kids take time.
Again, I hope I’m wrong, but I’m just calling it as I see it. The good news is I wrote Lobb off very early (after the game where Goldstein broke the hit outs record) and was completely wrong.

Is he that big though?
200cm and around 105kgs, an inch or so taller than Mummy (2 inches shorter than Lobb) and around the same weight.
He is also quite agressive one on one, he will be a lot more of a Mummy clone than Rory given time, Rory is more reach and finesse than brawn

Is he that big though?
Oh, he is a big unit. I do think he needs time. One big positive is Mummy is who he should model some of his game on. Given Mummy is now our part time ruck coach, we might just see Flynn begin to come a little earlier / quicker.

There's no guarantee, of course, but we do need to give him time to develop. He's likely not going to be ready until mid-20s, and often the step up from so-so to standout is a very short timeframe for ruckmen. (I think mainly because until they get a regular first grade gig they can't settle into the role.)

Again, I hope I’m wrong, but I’m just calling it as I see it. The good news is I wrote Lobb off very early (after the game where Goldstein broke the hit outs record) and was completely wrong.
There will be a post floating around somewhere with a WTF when we drafted him. I was wrong first. :)

Forgive the intrusion, I was hoping to get your early thoughts on Bonar and his chances of lining up in rd 1 now that Setterfield will miss? Will watch the JLT game with interest but even then I won't know too well who's ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive the intrusion, I was hoping to get your early thoughts on Bonar and his chances of lining up in rd 1 now that Setterfield will miss? Will watch the JLT game with interest but even then I won't know too well who's ahead of him.

My initial response would be 'no chance', but then that's exactly how Timmy Taranto broke into the team last year. In summary, have no better idea than you until the JLT's play out.

Squad
1 - Phil Davis
3 – Stephen Coniglio
5 – Dylan Shiel
6 – Lachie Whitfield
8 – Callan Ward
12 – Jon Patton
14 – Tim Taranto
17 – Zac Langdon
18 – Jeremy Cameron
20 – Adam Tomlinson
22 – Josh Kelly
23 – Heath Shaw
24 – Matt De Boer
25 – Lachlan Keeffe
26 – Dawson Simpson
27 – Harry Himmelberg
30 – Matt Flynn
31 – Jeremy Finlayson
32 – Ryan Griffen
33 – Lachie Tiziani
34 – Nick Shipley
36 – Harry Perryman
38 – Daniel Lloyd
39 – Tim Mohr
50 – Sam Reid
Emergencies
41 – Jack Buckley
42 – Jake Stein
43 – Dylan Buckley

Squad
1 - Phil Davis
3 – Stephen Coniglio
5 – Dylan Shiel
6 – Lachie Whitfield
8 – Callan Ward
12 – Jon Patton
14 – Tim Taranto
17 – Zac Langdon
18 – Jeremy Cameron
20 – Adam Tomlinson
22 – Josh Kelly
23 – Heath Shaw
24 – Matt De Boer
25 – Lachlan Keeffe
26 – Dawson Simpson
27 – Harry Himmelberg
30 – Matt Flynn
31 – Jeremy Finlayson
32 – Ryan Griffen
33 – Lachie Tiziani
34 – Nick Shipley
36 – Harry Perryman
38 – Daniel Lloyd
39 – Tim Mohr
50 – Sam Reid
Emergencies
41 – Jack Buckley
42 – Jake Stein
43 – Dylan Buckley

Griff returns.

Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good question, but I don't have a good answer. Bear with me while I talk to the question ...

Leon tends to favour a 3 tall forward line, so that leaves 4 spots for small forwards (or resting mids). Last year that would have been Greene, Smith, Johnson/Deledio (bracketed due to their run of injuries), Taranto with MdB slotting in with the inevitable injuries. Reid & Lloyd also got games due to injuries last year. With Johnson & Smith moving on, Greene, Deledio, Taranto & MdB would seem to have the 'incumbent' status - but both Greene & Deledio haven't trained yet, so might be struggling to make round 1. Add in that Leon may change to 5 medium/small forwards (signalled by GWS' recruitment strategy last year), then there's definitely a possibility that one or even two forward spots are available in round 1. Bonar was OK without being great in the AFLX & Swans games. The article announcing the JLT Round 1 squad, however, quotes a GWS coach singling out Langdon and Lloyd as 2 of the top 5 improvers during the pre-season. That to me would tend to put them ahead in the running for Round 1 selection. The 'so what' of all that, IMHO, is that it's still very open for the forward line selection both in terms of who's available due injuries & who impresses during the pre-season games. In short Bonar would have a chance, but would only cement a spot during the JLT games (and since he's not playing against Collingwood, he's got one game left) in competition with Langdon, Lloyd & Reid.

Scully a late out of AFLX and didn't play against the swans. Now not named v colliwobbles.

hmmmm......
I thought the same thing. And BTW, Isaac Cumming is in the same situation - late withdrawal from AFLX and not seen since. If those two have got issues on top of losing Zac & Setters, we've got significant troubles. Aidan Corr is the other one we haven't seen yet. Tomlinson, Mohr, Finlayson & Keeffe all with two runs each after JLT1 ...

Didn't Corr play in AFLX? I thought I saw 35 out there on the day.

Edit: wasn't named, so go figure.
AFLX had both Keeffe & Finlayson - I haven't seen anything suggesting Corr had injury issues, so just odd not to see him yet. I guess we only get worried if he's not named for JLT2. However, with Mohr, Keeffe & Finlayson we actually seem to have adequate backup. The running defender position is the one troubling me at the moment.

25 Named and for me the surprises
Mohr named and interesting to see where he fits in with the amount of tall defenders on the list
No Corr I thought he would have a run and he wasn't in the squad last friday
No Cumming so I would guess they will start him in the NEAFL and see how he goes
No Scully I am sure he doesn't need a run but it would have been good to see him but maybe the club are being cautious with his as he does so much during the season

AFLX had both Keeffe & Finlayson - I haven't seen anything suggesting Corr had injury issues, so just odd not to see him yet. I guess we only get worried if he's not named for JLT2. However, with Mohr, Keeffe & Finlayson we actually seem to have adequate backup. The running defender position is the one troubling me at the moment.
I think TOJ could play as a running defender/intercept role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back