JLT 1 2018: GWS v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got around to watching the game myself and as a Hawks supporter I really enjoyed what you guys put out.

The obvious allowances for this being the first official preseason hitout aside I think Finlayson looked really encouraging for you. For a guy his size to be taking the kickouts as he did in the inter-club with the swans was interesting. Seems he had a bigger influence in general play as the game wore on. Hope to see him play early days.

I think Whitfield might do a Kelly this year and evolve into another competition elite mid. Seems switched on atm.

I liked seeing Shaw back to his old self again particularly after the struggles he had last year. He alone might solve your Wilson/Williams hole with an up the ground shuffle.

Good to see Cogs back into the swing of things. Kelly, Cogs, Shiel and Ward might just take things up a notch this year.

Kept hearing Roos and the other commentators harp on about how talented offensively you lot are without perhaps the same defensive output. Based on this PS game it seems to be a real focus.

Would like to see Patton in the same form he showed for chunks of last year as I think he has a huge ceiling.

All in all it's both great to see the team continuing to evolve into a real powerhouse but shitty because I think the games we play against you will get increasingly difficult to win - and I think we'll bounce back a notch this year as well.

Best of luck.

After watching the swans scratch match and the jlt there is definitely a change in how we approach contests this year compared to last. It looks like we were practicing a w bulldogs/dockers more defensive approach to stoppages. We are letting our man play on the inside and we are playing outside relying on tackle pressure to avoid losing the stoppage. What it means that if someone is under the pump they can handball to the space outside the contest and rely on us being first to the ball. We practiced this setup numerous times across both games

If I’m honest I’m not sure I like it as I don’t think it makes use of our skill set. Hopefully it’s just a plan b for times when we are under the pump but it’s definitely something to watch for next game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back