Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not just thinking about what's better for him but also what's better for the team. Having Wells, Sidebottom, Broomhead spend more time at half forward rather than on the ball is beneficial for us. Having De Goey going the other way is beneficial too. We did suffer in the middle of Brisbane game when they came back and were dominating clearance with Beams and Zorko – it was a prime moment to try to give our top inside mids a rest (Adams, Pendles, Treloar who I agree should have first priority on any time on the ball) and bring a young clearance player like De Goey in.

Blair was in the middle when they did come back not sure where wells was perhaps forward.

Everyone needs to just chill out about his midfield minutes... The same thing happened with Adams 3 years ago. Everybody hanging s**t and saying he's no good in the back line. Same with pretty much any player. He needs to earn his stripes because he's not going to make us a better team if he is playing in the midfield over one of our other pure mids.

For what it's worth too, when Blair was in the middle he was actually very effective. It's too bad 95% of you are so blinded that you couldn't see that.

Blair was in the middle in the 3rd quarter ? Or at other times?

De Goey copped a bit of criticism for his game last week, but I thought he was actually really good.

Best game for the H&A season to date. Think he's building. Hopefully improves again Sunday.

Everyone needs to just chill out about his midfield minutes... The same thing happened with Adams 3 years ago. Everybody hanging s**t and saying he's no good in the back line. Same with pretty much any player. He needs to earn his stripes because he's not going to make us a better team if he is playing in the midfield over one of our other pure mids.

For what it's worth too, when Blair was in the middle he was actually very effective. It's too bad 95% of you are so blinded that you couldn't see that.

Our club likes making this mistake

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get your point and agree but midfield is Blair's best position. If he is in the team id prefer him to be a 70/30 mid/fwd than the feast or famine small forward target.

Blair's cross to bear is that his size does not match his skill set. He is a competent inside mid but due to his size will always be a long way back in the pecking order. As a forward he reads the play well and gets to places that would make a full forward very dangerous. The problem is that the only danger Blair poses to the opposition in those positions is a head butt to the groin.

Blair's cross to bear is that his size does not match his skill set. He is a competent inside mid but due to his size will always be a long way back in the pecking order. As a forward he reads the play well and gets to places that would make a full forward very dangerous. The problem is that the only danger Blair poses to the opposition in those positions is a head butt to the groin.

Pretty much this. Blair is primarily an inside mid and as our midfield list improves he drops steadily down the pecking order . As a forward he doesn't have the finishing skills .

Still a valuable player to have but will struggle to make the best 22 assuming full fitness and everybody playing to their abilities.

My problem with your line of thinking is that just as he doesn't make the team better playing midfield over one of the pure mids, he also doesn't make it better playing forward over one of the pure forwards. Midfield minutes are not some privilege to be held on a mantle and that all players should aspire to attain. It is just another role no more important than that of any other in the team. Now there may not be a medium forward in the VFL knocking the door down but long term if DeGoey is not going to be playing as a forward then someone who is such as Crocker should be getting the minutes to fast track their development and that of the forward group in general.

In my opinion it is no coincidence that a team playing so many midfielders up forward struggles to kick a winning score.

On DeGoey I think he is the clubs best young midfield prospect and has every chance of becoming an elite player, I like the Josh Kennedy(Sydney variety) comparison that was made earlier.

Pretty much this. Blair is primarily an inside mid and as our midfield list improves he drops steadily down the pecking order . As a forward he doesn't have the finishing skills .

Still a valuable player to have but will struggle to make the best 22 assuming full fitness and everybody playing to their abilities.

Yeah he is great depth but looking at the group of genuine inside mids the club is building(Adams, Greenwood, Blair, Thomas, Brown) it is hard to see the club retaining both him and Thomas beyond this season and since Brown is a younger more talented version and Thomas has pace, it doesn't bode well for him.

IMO he would be an astute pickup for a club lacking midfield depth, unfortunately(depending on who you are) Collingwood is not one of those.

Yeah he is great depth but looking at the group of genuine inside mids the club is building(Adams, Greenwood, Blair, Thomas, Brown) it is hard to see the club retaining both him and Thomas beyond this season and since Brown is a younger more talented version and Thomas has pace, it doesn't bode well for him.

IMO he would be an astute pickup for a club lacking midfield depth, unfortunately(depending on who you are) Collingwood is not one of those.

Yeah a bit early to be talking about next years list but Thomas is doing everything right to demand promotion or at worst retention on the rookie list

Add Daicos Brown and kirby and things are getting tough for Blair. That's football

We have been kicking better scores with white cox Schade and Reid out of the 22 so not convinced playing a team of midfielders results in lower scoring

They've been playing extra midfielders as forwards all year, the only difference the last two weeks is that they dropped a key position player and went from playing one or two extra to three. My opinion is that if you replace one or two of those mids with genuine forwards then you would get greater output.

For example over the last two weeks all of Blair, Greenwood and DeGoey have played forward.

Against Hawthorn they combined for a whopping 1 goal 2 behinds for the match while Moore, Fasolo and Elliot contributed 5.1.

Against Brisbane they combined for 0.2 while the three genuine forwards contributed 9.10.

Call it old fashioned but I believe forwards should kick goals. If it was not for a purple patch from Elliot and Moore then the front six would have only contributed 3 goals to the totals from the last two games. Now the forward group would ideally contribute at least half the score and they've achieved that, however the load is being carried by just three of the six and that is not sustainable.

You're old fashioned. We won the flag in 2010 because our midfielders were almost all goal kickers and stkilda barely had one. Ironically the only mid we had who wasn't a goal kicker was the one we got from stkilda!

Plus fasolo had plenty of shots on goal he's just had the yips

You pick your best 22 and sometimes that means that some players aren't exactly in their ideal position. That just happens. Better than gifting white for example a game because he ticks the "he's a forward" box. It happened to Adams early in his career and it's been happening to Maynard de goey smith etc this year

all good for development.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My problem with your line of thinking is that just as he doesn't make the team better playing midfield over one of the pure mids, he also doesn't make it better playing forward over one of the pure forwards. Midfield minutes are not some privilege to be held on a mantle and that all players should aspire to attain. It is just another role no more important than that of any other in the team. Now there may not be a medium forward in the VFL knocking the door down but long term if DeGoey is not going to be playing as a forward then someone who is such as Crocker should be getting the minutes to fast track their development and that of the forward group in general.

In my opinion it is no coincidence that a team playing so many midfielders up forward struggles to kick a winning score.

On DeGoey I think he is the clubs best young midfield prospect and has every chance of becoming an elite player, I like the Josh Kennedy(Sydney variety) comparison that was made earlier.

Kirby and Crocker are likely the only pure forwards though and to date neither has been ready for senior footy. Daicos even further back. Even the potential tall forwards in McLarty and McCarthy are a long way off senior footy.

BS.

When Blair goes into the center (across many games this year) we often lose our midfield accesendecy.

You're old fashioned. We won the flag in 2010 because our midfielders were almost all goal kickers and stkilda barely had one. Ironically the only mid we had who wasn't a goal kicker was the one we got from stkilda!

Plus fasolo had plenty of shots on goal he's just had the yips

You pick your best 22 and sometimes that means that some players aren't exactly in their ideal position. That just happens. Better than gifting white for example a game because he ticks the "he's a forward" box. It happened to Adams early in his career and it's been happening to Maynard de goey smith etc this year

all good for development.

In 2010 Collingwood's forward stalwarts were Cloke, Dawes, Brown, Didak and Davis. Those five all averaged ~1.5 goals a game. The team averaged 15 a game and forwards contributed half of that. That's my point, all the players that lined up in front of the ball made regular contributions to the scoreboard. That is what the midfielders currently playing forward are not doing.

As to your point regards White I agree, he and players like him shouldn't be gifted games and as I acknowledged in my original post on the topic(#3780) there aren't any forwards knocking down the door. My point is more a general philosophy of what should be happening and not a criticism of what the coaches are currently doing as they don't have much choice, although dropping Blair only to bring him back to play up forward based on a dominant VFL midfield performance was not one of their finest decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back