Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naa I think he’ll shed a few kilos and become a perm midfielder once Pendles is done, thats when i think he will be one of the best in the comp, if DeGoey can stay injury free and get even quicker then look out
While I like your idea, I would hate to lose him in our forward line.

I think he plays predominantly forward and goes into mid when needed.

Said from his second year that he'd be our version of Dustin Martin. Was called crazy back then and that he'd never be that good.

WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

But yeah, the Gary Ablett Sr. comparisons are pretty apt too in terms of how he moves/plays. Similar build even. Never thought about that. Even the Stevie J one is pretty good. Although I think he'll eventually be better than Stevie J.

I dont think Collingwood has really had a Ablett snr/Dusty/Leigh Matthews/insert name here/ type player before. An absolute bull midfielder whose best position is as an undersized full forward.

We've had plenty of strong hard tough superstars who didnt mind kicking a goal (Swan Buckley and Millane are three that immediately spring to mind) but none with as much forward nous as these players named above.

If Jordy can join that stratosphere then we are in a very good place for a long time.

Probably gets the best 1 on 1 defender in the afl this week in Dylan Grimes

Grimes matches his for height and speed, De Goey probably better at groundball, abit stronger and more explosive than grimes usual opponents.

Interesting.

Give it a season or two and we won’t be comparing Jordy to anyone.

They’ll be comparing other players to Jordan De Goey.

He could win a Brownlow- absolutely.

Treloar, Grundy and De Goey all could.

Future possibles Jaidyn and Bear!

Bear! He is coming.

ycy9hJ5.gif

BQypEtn.gif

JPNC4Js.gif

tnQoe6J.gif

tXE7G9H.gif

TTxJOge.gif

FAHlLln.gif

I dont think Collingwood has really had a Ablett snr/Dusty/Leigh Matthews/insert name here/ type player before. An absolute bull midfielder whose best position is as an undersized full forward.

We've had plenty of strong hard tough superstars who didnt mind kicking a goal (Swan Buckley and Millane are three that immediately spring to mind) but none with as much forward nous as these players named above.

If Jordy can join that stratosphere then we are in a very good place for a long time.

Tuddenham was a bull / mid forward who kicked 7 in a Prelim final. Brown (Gavin) was an exceptional 1:1 (probably would have beaten most 1:2 ) player who kicked 50 goals playing FF when he was in fact a winger and then there's Daics! Ok they're not JDG size (he's McKenna size by comparison) but Daicos would have kicked 10 playing on someone as loose as Rance!

Carman was a bit of a bull too. Rene Kink?

BTW I love that JDG is playing like he is. He'll certainly take some stopping in the next few years! I'm hoping he kicks 6 this weekend.

Love these. What I love the most is analysing the one he engages Rance. Despite how great Cox was this contest was the single most excitement of the game. Now it looks even better on slow mo. Rance is elite at reading the ball but here Jordy defeats him in every aspect for mine.

He has no real break on Rance so sizes it up in a moment and stops his lead with the direct intention of engaging and out bodying Rance. At the match I didnt realise it was such a deliberate ploy. A split sec summing up of the play, deciding he has an option to engage and just out body the bigger man, thats breath taking and not a one off. He has done this to a number of the best KPFs in the game. Its just a wow moment

Tuddenham was a bull / mid forward who kicked 7 in a Prelim final. Brown (Gavin) was an exceptional 1:1 (probably would have beaten most 1:2 ) player who kicked 50 goals playing FF when he was in fact a winger and then there's Daics! Ok they're not JDG size (he's McKenna size by comparison) but Daicos would have kicked 10 playing on someone as loose as Rance!

Carman was a bit of a bull too. Rene Kink?

BTW I love that JDG is playing like he is. He'll certainly take some stopping in the next few years! I'm hoping he kicks 6 this weekend.

I think you’ve answered my question.

We've never really had a forward like De Goey. Brown comes closest.

Carman and Kink were more key forwards. Tuddy was a ruckrover and its nearly 50 years ago.

Last edited:
I think you’ve answered my question.

We've never really had a forward like De Goey. Brown comes closest.

Carman and Kink were more key forwards. Tuddy was a ruckrover and its nearly 50 years ago.
I would have to agree with Robroy22 in that Brown, Tuddy and Daics fit the picture of mids who went forward with great success. Daics was very strong but his finesse maybe means bull doesnt describe him but it does Brown and Tuddy.

I think your first sentence describing Lethal and Dusty as bull mids who found their best position as an undersized mid is inaccurate. Career wise Dusty and Lethal are mids first, forwards second. Jordy will go to the midfield plenty over his career but if Sier develops as I reckon he will it will give plenty of scope for De Goey to have plenty of forward time

Sidey, Pendles, Adams, Treloar, Sier, De Goey, Stephensdon going forward looks awesome on mid rotations. Plenty of depth after that also.

I would have to agree with Robroy22 in that Brown, Tuddy and Daics fit the picture of mids who went forward with great success. Daics was very strong but his finesse maybe means bull doesnt describe him but it does Brown and Tuddy.

I think your first sentence describing Lethal and Dusty as bull mids who found their best position as an undersized mid is inaccurate. Career wise Dusty and Lethal are mids first, forwards second. Jordy will go to the midfield plenty over his career but if Sier develops as I reckon he will it will give plenty of scope for De Goey to have plenty of forward time

Sidey, Pendles, Adams, Treloar, Sier, De Goey, Stephensdon going forward looks awesome on mid rotations. Plenty of depth after that also.
If Stephenson can bulk up to 90kg he’ll be a better clearance player than De Goey is anyway I reckon. Bloke crumbs and hits packs at a lightning speed with the finesse of Varcoe at times, and is only in his first season.

Brown kicked 49 goals in 1990 and 31 in 98 and his next best season is 17. Reality is he had one year out of the box as a forward and then was pretty much found out.

Daics inelgible for discussion as hes not a bull.

Tuddy too far back to be a genuine comparison although he was a superb and tough forward.

Lethal has a Coleman and kicked 915 goals at an average of 2.8 per game. They are full forward type averages.

Dusty kicked 37 last year, 31 this year and has kicked over 22 in five other seasons.

Jordy's career is yet to pan out but it looks more like Dustys than Gavin Browns at this early stage of his career.

Probably semantics but I maintain if JDG continues his career like 2018 (45 goals from just 20 games) I will continue to claim that Collingwood has never had anybody quite like him before. Early days of course but the way the midfield is developing we should be able to afford to keep him forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De Goey vs Wright

I mentioned that it was a huge mistake for us to take De Goey over Wright, unless De Goey absolutely dominates and becomes an elite player in the competition.

He's done that and will continue to improve. I was wrong in wanting Wright over De Goey.

Brown kicked 49 goals in 1990 and 31 in 98 and his next best season is 17. Reality is he had one year out of the box as a forward and then was pretty much found out.
He was not "found out". The following year and several years after that he returned to the midfield.

He was not "found out". The following year and several years after that he returned to the midfield.

The last thing I want to do is bag Gavin Brown.

But I certainly saw plenty of games where he struggled as a forward. Midfield definitely his best position and thats where he should have played and thats where he did play for the bulk of his career. But against the best full backs of the day Gavin Brown was out of position at full forward. The game is different now to what it was then so maybe JDG will be a long term answer in that position.

While I like your idea, I would hate to lose him in our forward line.

I think he plays predominantly forward and goes into mid when needed.
This. The knock on our list is too many mids. Yet many want to play our gun full forward in the midfield.

The last thing I want to do is bag Gavin Brown.

But I certainly saw plenty of games where he struggled as a forward. Midfield definitely his best position and thats where he should have played and thats where he did play for the bulk of his career. But against the best full backs of the day Gavin Brown was out of position at full forward. The game is different now to what it was then so maybe JDG will be a long term answer in that position.
Brown did it through having great hands and courage in the air, but did not really have many other elite forward attributes. JDG has it all. Will be one of the great forwards of his era.

I always thought he would transition to a full time goal kicking mid. But he is way too valuable up forward. His combination of speed and strength means he can get a hold of any defender in the game when he's on. It seriously feels like he's going to kick multiple goals every game he plays.

Really hoping we can give him some good service this weekend. Because he could win the game off his boot, particularly with no Sheppard. Whoever mans up McGovern and Hurn become very important, because the best way to stop JDG is planting a loose man in his leading space, otherwise he's basically undefendable.

I reckon he’d be our best clearance player midfield. I hope we begin to use him the way the tigers use Dustin Martin. Problem is no one in our forwardine has the combination of strength, power and speed he has, so we can’t really take him out of there.

Kinda funny, before the argument was he wasn’t performing good enough in the forwardline to warrant midfield time now he performing too good.

Comeoth the moment, comeoth the man.
Jordy will tear this GF apart, 6 goals.
Will will thrive on the biggest stage of all
Stop being so modest :eek:

8 goals :)

I reckon he’d be our best clearance player midfield. I hope we begin to use him the way the tigers use Dustin Martin. Problem is no one in our forwardine has the combination of strength, power and speed he has, so we can’t really take him out of there.

Kinda funny, before the argument was he wasn’t performing good enough in the forwardline to warrant midfield time now he performing too good.

I noticed early season we were playing Treloar in the forward line when not in the midfield. I don't think that's a bad mix up to bring De Goey into the midfield and Treloar forward.. Treloar will take a pacey defender to go with him

This. The knock on our list is too many mids. Yet many want to play our gun full forward in the midfield.
I hear what you're saying and I think he's shown this year he is a major impact forward and this will be his best usage for us. BUT... Bucks will surely want the flexibility of running him through the middle a lot more going forward. The flexibility to use a gun like him where most needed will be a huge gameday bonus card for us just like it is for the Tiges with Dusty.
If one J. Elliot gets back on the park and hits form next year then Degoey playing more midfield time will make even more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back