Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day he'd prefer to be back home in Adelaide. He'd be highly sought after by both clubs, so is in a real position of power.

It seems like go-home factor usually arises when the partner is also from their home state. So the fact that he had a partner who came with him to Sydney means the go home factor is doubled, because if either of them get homesick they bounce off eachother. It probably went along the lines of, sure I'll come with you to Sydney, we'll be together. Then it's like, I really miss my friends and family, we're looking to start a family soon, so it would be great to go home for the extra support. And gee, you're playing great footy and the Adelaide clubs are calling your manager, this would be the perfect opportunity to make a little more money, plus be home with friends and family.

Perhaps something the swans need to consider when drafting. Because the best chance of having a player stay in Sydney Is if they're single and meet a girl from Sydney, that way they have family in both states.

this is ridiculous - they’re not going home the third bedroom in their parents house. They are going to their home state where they’re happy and comfortable. Why are you all so bloody judgemental? Just like millions of Australians who go to the city for a few yearsand then move back to their country towns - I understand disappointment -he is just about my favourite swans player and feels like a modern day dale lewis mark bayes.

but he’s not owned by the swans - he’s an employee and like millions of employees each year he’s staying in the industry but changing his employer - he’s got a better offer and is off.

why does that cause you anger ? Anyone who has been around and followed professional sport knows players move on and new players come in. He won’t fit inky list of all time swans players as mark bayes does but I’m not ten anymore so I don’t bawl my eyes out either.

there’ll be a new favourite next year or the year after…let’s see what we get next and see how that goes

Just like millions of Australians who go to the city for a few years and then move back to their country towns.

Cant be "millions".

I'm not judgmental at all.
I'm just saying employees usually change jobs for money.
That's what it is. Which is fine.

Why do we have to invent these stories that it's some wholesome golden hearted family reason?

The issue is we have stuffed our salary cap. That's not really his fault.

I'm tipping the Adelaide offers are significantly larger than ours $$ wise.

Last edited:
At the end of the day he'd prefer to be back home in Adelaide. He'd be highly sought after by both clubs, so is in a real position of power.

It seems like go-home factor usually arises when the partner is also from their home state. So the fact that he had a partner who came with him to Sydney means the go home factor is doubled, because if either of them get homesick they bounce off eachother. It probably went along the lines of, sure I'll come with you to Sydney, we'll be together. Then it's like, I really miss my friends and family, we're looking to start a family soon, so it would be great to go home for the extra support. And gee, you're playing great footy and the Adelaide clubs are calling your manager, this would be the perfect opportunity to make a little more money, plus be home with friends and family.

Perhaps something the swans need to consider when drafting. Because the best chance of having a player stay in Sydney Is if they're single and meet a girl from Sydney, that way they have family in both states.
Are the Swanettes still available?

I am as disappointed as anyone.

However, my guess is that Dawson meant it when he said that fans had nothing to worry about.

As some posters have hypothesised, I think COVID and thinking about starting a family could have played a role.

I also reckon his partner may have been waiting until the season was over before expressing the extent of her desire to return home - as she may not have wanted to create a distraction.

I am of course just guessing like everyone else, but I think it is just as easy to find positive motives in all this as cynical motives (though I am not so naive to think that salary and/or house price differences didn’t play some role also).

Adelaide is a brilliant place to live.

It's beautiful, clean, affordable, easy. There's some cracking places to eat & drink. The beaches and coastline are amazing. A brilliant place to raise a family.

I'm a proud Victorian... that has chosen to live here. If their family & friends are here & he's out of contract & has the SA clubs chasing him... why not?! I completely get it from his point if view. Really disappointed but understand it.

Adelaide is a brilliant place to live.

It's beautiful, clean, affordable, easy. There's some cracking places to eat & drink. The beaches and coastline are amazing. A brilliant place to raise a family.

I'm a proud Victorian... that has chosen to live here. If their family & friends are here & he's out of contract & has the SA clubs chasing him... why not?! I completely get it from his point if view. Really disappointed but understand it.

It was you.....

Just like millions of Australians who go to the city for a few years and then move back to their country towns.

Cant be "millions".

I'm not judgmental at all.
I'm just saying employees usually change jobs for money.
That's what it is. Which is fine.

Why do we have to invent these stories that it's some wholesome golden hearted family reason?

The issue is we have stuffed our salary cap. That's not really his fault.

I'm tipping the Adelaide offers are significantly larger than ours $$ wise.
We're not inventing stories about family etc. He has said he wants to go to SA, his home state, rather than anywhere else (potentially at clubs that could give him big money too). If home/family isn't a significant factor, he'd be saying he just wants to explore options anywhere.

If people can make up stuff about him being soft or manipulating our feelings deliberately (thus deserving our wrath), then the rest of us can run with fact surely.

The Swans should start a 'date an AFL star' dating service? Once we have the AFLW team up and running, we might be able to have a coordinated program, making sure both the lads and ladies are well catered for with Sydney Boys and Girls, so they settle down in the City :cool::D

Even worse when it is because of their partners needs/wants. If they were in an everyday job and there wasn't the option to get the same money back home, would they be asking their partner to take a pay cut of tens of thousands so they could go home?

Lol, but they aren’t in an everyday job. They are in a job where they can earn the same or more in Adelaide as they can in Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... but we'll also bag a future 4th... swings and roundabouts...:poov1:
Been suggestions that Adelaide might split up pick 4 to two first round picks.
What if we take pick 4 and give them our pick 12...they are getting Dawson who is proven and well worth more than any first round pick in my opinion.
Think we have to look back at see how Kinnear Beetson has found some past rippers at later picks. Others will know the draft pick numbers but Parker, Dawson, McInerney,Rowbottom have been a few standouts. Warner looks great, hut hell, he comes from WA so that is another worry.
Stephens has me mystified especially his pick at 5 in 2019. Needs some confidence building so hope that will be given lose attention...that is of course if he stays. The gate is open and one SA colt has got out so hope there is an outrider close by to get it closed tight before it becomes a potential flood similar to the early days when our top picks left in droves.
We now have a club which is the envy of other organisations. Parents have been delighted when their sons were picked for Sydney and rightly so. Unfortunately COVID has changed all the positives so quickly and isolation at one end of the country for so long has taken its toll.
Two picks this year or one academy pick , Sheather who is nice and tough and upgrade rookie in Wicks who really was an eye opener with his tackling and ability to turn up at CHF unmarked, gives us time to develop a couple more NSW players.
We have seen the benefit of Don Pike coming in and superb leadership from Longmire this year. The more I look back at the Swans last year, without Buddy, the process this year has been reflection on just how much the young guys realised that perhaps they could do things without Buddy after all. He rose to great heights again this year but we were up and about early on when he was still not ready to start. The defeats of Brisbane and Richmond in the first four rounds really set us up, confidence wise.
Just some thoughts on what we have which are mostly positives, but the non stop efforts of Dawson is the standout negative, Great kick, great run...like Malescki...but added positives..... superb pressure marking when going backi in defence and then turning up to kick some great goals.
Just hope that my faith in Beetson will carry the day at draft time.
We have to pursue picks, we have a salary cap problem and players from other clubs has to be a no ,no as that will again squeeze the cap.

Last edited:
So a guaranteed Brian Lake or Justin Westhoff then. To a lesser extent, Andrew Kellaway.
Don,t know why we did not try something new. Dawson only 24 and it would be a game changer if we gave him 10 years, heavily backended????
By then young Malceski will be 18 and we could straight up give him 10 years as well. Not all doom and gloom even then, as Buddy (jnr) will then be primed at 20 years old and set for a further back ended 10 year stint.
Easy!!!!

Last edited:
The Swans should start a 'date an AFL star' dating service? Once we have the AFLW team up and running, we might be able to have a coordinated program, making sure both the lads and ladies are well catered for with Sydney Boys and Girls, so they settle down in the City :cool::D
Actually can we try and set the players up with wealthy women who live in Sydney. That way they won't need to leave for money and won't want to leave for their partner 🤣

Actually can we try and set the players up with wealthy women who live in Sydney. That way they won't need to leave for money and won't want to leave for their partner 🤣
Lol the board is turning the swans into a toyboy club for wealthy career-driven women who don't have time to invest in a relationship, but are happy for some fun on the side.

Kill two birds with one stone, remove the go-home factor, and resolve the salary cap squeeze.

Lol the board is turning the swans into a toyboy club for wealthy career-driven women who don't have time to invest in a relationship, but are happy for some fun on the side.

Kill two birds with one stone, remove the go-home factor, and resolve the salary cap squeeze.
Look, I don't want kids myself, so no judgement, but this could have severe father-son implications down the line.

Can't believe he wants to go to Port who have no backbone. They'll be scarred for a few years after their finals performance. I'm pretty sure they didn't beat any top 4 teams or teams above them in the regular season either. When the pressure is applied, Port go missing.

Can't believe he wants to go to Port who have no backbone. They'll be scarred for a few years after their finals performance. I'm pretty sure they didn't beat any top 4 teams or teams above them in the regular season either. When the pressure is applied, Port go missing.
While I suspect Port can't win a flag with the current coaching lineup, we've had a few very ordinary finals in recent years, and we certainly didn't turn up against bottom 10 sides in GC, Hawks and Saints this year. When the alternative 'home' club is a basket case that players continually want to leave, I'm not sure he's got other options if he is set on SA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back