Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading the gameday thread, a worse 29 and 3 game you would not have seen.
Most of the criticism would have come in the first half, and it was valid imo. He improved markedly in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good. Was he distributing better? My question on him is composure and awareness - lots of rushed hacks forwards and not often releasing blokes with handball when I've watched him. How did Reef play?
In the second half, he disposed by hand on numerous occasions with a high degree of intent and accuracy. A couple of his goals were kicked from outside 50 with booming kicks. I missed the first quarter when he apparently scrubbed kicks out of the middle. In the second half when we came from behind, his clearance work from the middle looked decisive and effective. He was easily our best player, although VFL Wilson also racked up possessions.

Murley had a great second half seemingly playing up forward much of the time.

In the second half, he disposed by hand on numerous occasions with a high degree of intent and accuracy. A couple of his goals were kicked from outside 50 with booming kicks. I missed the first quarter when he apparently scrubbed kicks out of the middle. In the second half when we came from behind, his clearance work from the middle looked decisive and effective. He was easily our best player, although VFL Wilson also racked up possessions.

Murley had a great second half seemingly playing up forward much of the time.
Sounds really promising. He's got some tools. Can kick it beautifully when in space and can win the footy, so if he can start chaining up with teammates more often, we'll have a player.

This Afternoon is the best Game I seen him play for the Club.

Yes Last Year he Kicked some Big Goals but that was coming on as a Sub but Today played on the Ball and Went Forward. Kicked 3 Goals and got a Ton of Clearances

He pretty much the Reason we won today

Good. Was he distributing better? My question on him is composure and awareness - lots of rushed hacks forwards and not often releasing blokes with handball when I've watched him. How did Reef play?
He looked better by hand in the second half in tight but in the second half but still looks at his most dangerous running forward into a bit of space.

Agree about the hacked/rushed kicks. The most exciting thing for me today was to see Josh execute some AFL level handballs under pressure and in contested situations - can't recall seeing that from him in the past, one of the handballs was that slick that the receiver couldn't gather it - shows some great development in a side of his game that has been lacking - he still has some development in his ability to create the play - very much a get ball - kick ball player. That said, he is one of the few players on our list that can kick a goal from outside 50m.

I love the way JC and Reef go about it. They both attack the contest and play with passion.
Reef seemed a bit off to me - maybe lacking some confidence, maybe just the flu/virus/covid that seems to have gone through the club. Wouldn't mind seeing him have a run off half back to give him a chance to get more of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back