Player Watch Josh Eyre

Remove this Banner Ad

Photoshop or they get their photos done today?/or photo day

0bdc7bcb21cdd0a494545168cbb97c6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Told you chumps his injury wouldn’t stop us recruiting him. Welcome to Collingwood Josh.
Not sure chumps is necessary, but whatever floats your boat. Wish him every success but it’s a risk. Hopefully one worth taking.

Not sure chumps is necessary, but whatever floats your boat. Wish him every success but it’s a risk. Hopefully one worth taking.
Risk v Reward. I think it's a risk worth taking for the long term benefits. Talent like his dont come around often. You back in the medical staff to fix him.

Consider me Chief Chump.

Welcome to his Eyreness, and good luck with your career in black and white (senior version).
If you're Chief then I'm happy to consider myself a Deputy.

But I have to say, the fact the club selected him despite the injury has given me more confidence if anything. Its such a strong show of confidence in Josh which I'm very happy to back them in for. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can develop into.

I feel like in the VFL last year for every great moment he had, it was followed by a not so great moment. But I'm very happy to accept that the club believes he has lots of scope for development. A SSP becoming a best 22 key defender would be such a bonus 🤞

I genuinely believe the sky's the limit with this kid.

That said he was of the 2020 draft class. So he missed key formative years as an 18 yo and then missed most of his 19th year. Prior to that he had a lot of, let's call it, growing pains.

So the risk is that he hasn't developed a lot of natural trade craft and that he never will. We know trade craft can be taught to key defenders, in particular, it's more hit and miss with forwards.

But he has massive raw potential. The size, speed, stamina, agiltiy and jumping, he's more of a unicorn than Nik Cox. Absolute cannon of a left boot, too. It's not just athleticism, his attack in the air and even his timing is really good. His biggest problem with us was catching the ball. He was terrible until he switched to defence (about half way through 2022) when it started to come together.

He's got a really good head on his shoulders, too. That speaks for itself by now.

I don't think you've signed him because you necessarily trust him to do a job this year. He's a 4 to 5 year project, 3 of which are banked, at least in terms of physical maturity.

Look forward to a development year. I won't be surprised if he cements a spot in the next 18 months. Not at all..

I honestly can’t believe this, we are three key position players down before the season starts with this decision. We have another two that have injury history in Krueger and Dean. Crazy decision when you’re in the ‘window’!

I honestly can’t believe this, we are three key position players down before the season starts with this decision. We have another two that have injury history in Krueger and Dean. Crazy decision when you’re in the ‘window’!
I thought it was strange that we added another 2 midfielders. We really love midfielders at the Pies

Risk v Reward. I think it's a risk worth taking for the long term benefits. Talent like his dont come around often. You back in the medical staff to fix him.
The club obviously sees the talent too. I agree, the risk is worth it.

But people understandably have some doubt he will make it.

Congratulations to Joshy Eyre. I think it would’ve been an injustice hadn't we not given him a list spot, considering the preseason he has put together.
Really looking forward to seeing him playing a role at senior level at some point, hopefully this season. I think he has a huge upside, and can be a regular at AFL level...

A bit harsh. Krueger and Dean are currently fit. Same could have been said of Elliott and Moore 3 years ago.

It’s only a rookie spot. If the kid showed something the club feels it can work with, why not take the risk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it a risk?

It's really not.
1 year deal. Hardly going to blow up the list management position.

If mid season rolls around and he's injured again, then place him on the inactive list and head to he MSD for a player to see out the remaining 6 months contract.

Really pretty risk free in my book.
Its pretty much a free hit.

Why is it a risk?

It's really not.
1 year deal. Hardly going to blow up the list management position.

If mid season rolls around and he's injured again, then place him on the inactive list and head to he MSD for a player to see out the remaining 6 months contract.

Really pretty risk free in my book.
Its pretty much a free hit.

It’s also only 3 months out and it’s February not the whole season.
More upside than risk. Especially someone his age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club obviously sees the talent too. I agree, the risk is worth it.

But people understandably have some doubt he will make it.
I guess it’s lucky that the risk is negligible given he’s a rookie on a 1 year contract.

It’s bizarre that some people are panicking about this, acting as if Sof was a better option because he’s uninjured, even though he wouldn’t be even close to being ready for senior footy for at least another 12 months given his current conditioning.

if you can't take the risk with a guy like Eyre when we're the reigning premier then when can you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back