Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard that there was a Geelong vs. Fremantle game in the 2000s where the Cats wore their normal navy and white hoops, but the Dockers wore their white jumper with the purple anchor that was their away strip at the time. If there was such a game, it would have been one of the worst jumper clashes imaginable.

There aren't any images that demonstrate how ordinary a contrast the game would have been, but it did happen. 2006 NAB Cup semi-final.

189154.jpg

All green might be hard to pick up on the TV against the grass. I do think they may have been better to pick light blue as a base colour, to appeal to the Waratah and NRL NSW crowd. Given their desire to attract to Canberra, maybe have Canberra Raiders green in their too. (Apologies for jumper design skills). Surely something like this with navy shorts and striped socks would have been a reasonable start...
View attachment 520310
I'm surprised they didn't go the nsw blue either. I think they'll keep the orange and charcoal but they'll have a rebrand of sorts.

Essendon v Collingwood, they’ve nailed it!

Amazing scenes
See what goes for the Collingwood home game next year - will Collingwood wear white to allow a "traditional jumper matchup", will Essendon wear red, or will it be Collingwood in black with white stripes and Essendon in black with white shorts?

With thanks to akkaps I say this is not true. Since 2010, in away games against Essendon, the black with white stripes has been worn in 6 of 7 matches.
25flp5d.jpg

2017:
Essendon-Bombers-Collingwood-Magpies-Anzac-Day-AFL-2015.jpg

2013:
anzac_feature.png
There you go, my memory is awful.

I mustn’t have any issue identifying which team is which irrespective of the strip then.

There you go, my memory is awful.

I mustn’t have any issue identifying which team is which irrespective of the strip then.
It's as much making a clearer contrast between the teams as it is applying the clash rule equally with other teams.
For example Collingwood clash with St Kilda, who have the same dominant colours on their jumpers as Essendon (black, red, a bit of white) but not Essendon

It's as much making a clearer contrast between the teams as it is applying the clash rule equally with other teams.
For example Collingwood clash with St Kilda, who have the same dominant colours on their jumpers as Essendon (black, red, a bit of white) but not Essendon
Yeah I agree, we should be wearing the white strip away for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the Carlton vs. St Kilda game last night and the hideous grey jumper the Blues were wearing, I would have preferred to have watched a game with the teams wearing their traditional jumpers and the Blues and Saints hard to tell apart from behind.

That Carlton jumper is a total abomination, one of the worst I have ever seen, absolute visible pollution. No team should have to wear a jumper that bad. It is worse than the Brisbane Bears' BB jumper in their early years or Melbourne's silver jumper from around 2007, and only marginally better than the Hawthorn blue, gold and brown diamond jumper from the 1995 pre-season; the West Coast Eagles' bizarre 2000-2001 gurnsey or the Brisbane Lions' 'urine stain' jumper from the late 2000s.

After watching the Carlton vs. St Kilda game last night and the hideous grey jumper the Blues were wearing, I would have preferred to have watched a game with the teams wearing their traditional jumpers and the Blues and Saints hard to tell apart from behind.

That Carlton jumper is a total abomination, one of the worst I have ever seen, absolute visible pollution. No team should have to wear a jumper that bad. It is worse than the Brisbane Bears' BB jumper in their early years or Melbourne's silver jumper from around 2007, and only marginally better than the Hawthorn blue, gold and brown diamond jumper from the 1995 pre-season; the West Coast Eagles' bizarre 2000-2001 gurnsey or the Brisbane Lions' 'urine stain' jumper from the late 2000s.

It's funny, I managed to see the grey Carlton strip before it was officially launched. Thought it looked great in person. Was really looking forward to watching them play a game in it. Then they added those grey shorts with the black thing at the back (pocket?) and it completely destroyed it. Now I really don't enjoy looking at it. I don't find it as bad as everyone else seems to, but I won't be disappointed or surprised very soon when they bin it.
It doesn't compete with our Power Ranger abomination though. We should have worn it today against Brisbane just so I could have hated something more than our performance.
In saying that, we wore brown and pink. so..... yeah.

Grey or silver always looks horrid. It was horrid when Melbourne did it, it was horrid when Essendon did it, and it’s horrid now Carlton have done it.

Adding grey shorts takes it to a new level of terrible. I think Essendon wore grey shorts with it for one game before switching to white, which looked marginally better.

There’s no way Carton should wear their home jumper, which is basically black, against St Kilda. They just need to produce a better clash jumper.

I still don't understand why the Collingwood clash jumper has black side panels (a sort of enlarged black stripe)

Their traditional white jumper with 3 black stripes was their best ever

wbAFLpieflag_wideweb__470x345,0.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree. The sooner we get back to white with three black stripes as our default guernsey, the better.

Grey or silver always looks horrid. It was horrid when Melbourne did it, it was horrid when Essendon did it, and it’s horrid now Carlton have done it.

Adding grey shorts takes it to a new level of terrible. I think Essendon wore grey shorts with it for one game before switching to white, which looked marginally better.

There’s no way Carton should wear their home jumper, which is basically black, against St Kilda. They just need to produce a better clash jumper.
We had silver for our Power Ranges kit. Figured other teams would've learnt to steer clear from that shade after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back