Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Most clubs will be wearing their primary strip at least 13–14 games a year, so I really don't see the problem with the other 8 or so games them wearing something completely different to save a horrible jumper clash for any combination of players/umpires/fans/tv audience.

I mean i really cgaf about this ongoing traditionalist argument so carry on with whatever floats your boat.
I will, and come regular season when I'm flicking over the channels I might come across a traditional Collingwood v Carlton match and stop to take a look because I recognise the matchup. Then I might check in here to see how much you cgaf about the ongoing traditionalist argument.

I'm all for tradition where it either improves or at the very least doesn't negatively affect the game, but dumb shit like two teams wearing virtually the same jumper against each other and umpires having to bounce the ball irritate me no end because of how simple they are to fix and how little they would be missed if they were gone.

How original is the "every other sport" argument. There are many unique features of Australian Rules Football. And many of the people who attend probably do so because it is different to "the big boys" in aami stadium or wherever.
Well, I am not proud that one of the unique features of the AFL is that they are colour-blind.

Now for the people up top, the home team wear whatever they want means = they get to wear their traditional jumper at every home game (which doesn't happen currently). I was using hyperbole when I said they could dress up like the Starfish from Spongebob, my longwinded point is - Home is king, they wear what they want (traditional outfit likely) and the away team adjust accordingly.

No way. We are fortunate to be in a league where the colours/designs of the foundation clubs are respected. You don't throw that away for no reason.
Lol way to miss the point of my post, did I say throw the colours/designs away? No, I said the clubs could wear what they want at home, logically they'll pick their own colours, and the away team adjusts accordingly.

Well, I am not proud that one of the unique features of the AFL is that they are colour-blind.

Now for the people up top, the home team wear whatever they want means = they get to wear their traditional jumper at every home game (which doesn't happen currently). I was using hyperbole when I said they could dress up like the Starfish from Spongebob, my longwinded point is - Home is king, they wear what they want (traditional outfit likely) and the away team adjust accordingly.
If anything wouldn't it be non-colour blind, and the colour blind needing better differentiation between uniforms?

Home team rules is one way of doing it. But there are other sports in the world that have light/dark rules for home and away. It's not the only way, just as away team in white isn't the only way.

How original.

I would think a native sport with a tiny global supporter base might be a bit more open to, you know, being like the big boys.

* some AFL supporters are a precious bunch

Because as a native sport it only has to worry about a few clashes.

Comparing to global sports with promotion/relegation and potential to play hundreds of different teams is like comparing apples to oranges.

Because as a native sport it only has to worry about a few clashes.

Comparing to global sports with promotion/relegation and potential to play hundreds of different teams is like comparing apples to oranges.
So you don’t think there are clashes?

Pretty bold take in the jumper clash fails thread.

I wish we would just do a similar thing to what we do with Geelong to avoid the clash with Carlton. If we wear out black stripes on white base jumper regardless of whether it's home or away the problem is gone. There was never a clash prior to the Pies going with the darker strip
you shouldnt have to - its up to carlton to wear their mainly white AFL approved clash with white shorts, not just when they play freo, or port or other smaller vic teams like the saints

plus, i guarantee if coll wore their mainly white jumper with black shorts (as home team), carlton would wear their navy blue with white shorts (as away team (and it would be even worse) - like this 1980s photo

1677484028039.png

or this 1990s photo
1677484085785.png

upshot of it all, carlton need to wear the clash not just against freo
1677484128120.png

and not just against port
1677484160991.png

and not just against st kilda
1677484195166.png

but also when away team against collingwood and away against essendon and away against richmond

plus, i guarantee if coll wore their mainly white jumper with black shorts (as home team), carlton would wear their navy blue with white shorts (as away team (and it would be even worse) - like this 1980s photo

View attachment 1617006

or this 1990s photo
View attachment 1617007
Nothing wrong with those. NFL used to routinely have light top dark bottoms v dark top light bottoms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you shouldnt have to - its up to carlton to wear their mainly white AFL approved clash with white shorts, not just when they play freo, or port or other smaller vic teams like the saints

View attachment 1617006

or this 1990s photo
View attachment 1617007

upshot of it all, carlton need to wear the clash not just against freo
View attachment 1617008

and not just against port
View attachment 1617009

and not just against st kilda
View attachment 1617010

but also when away team against collingwood and away against essendon and away against richmond
Those jumpers don't clash firstly. And if it's that big a deal Collingwood can wear white shorts...which is also what Geelong always do against Collingwood.

Carlton home - All navy, Collingwood white base with white shorts
Collingwood home - Whatever they like, Carlton opposite

Its a simple solution.

Nothing wrong with those. NFL used to routinely have light top dark bottoms v dark top light bottoms.

Used to, as in by rule. Nowadays you've got your colour blast jerseys or whatever. They still do wear combo uniforms though.

But then it is only a native sport with a tiny global supporter base.

They also have home, away and alternates almost like, they decided it was worth addressing clashes.

Carlton home - All navy, Collingwood white base with white shorts
Collingwood home - Whatever they like, Carlton opposite

Its a simple solution.

The solution already exists. Both teams have adequate clash jumpers to wear when they’re the away team.

The AFL instruct clubs what to wear each week and they don’t tell them to wear them. That’s the issue.

Those jumpers don't clash firstly. And if it's that big a deal Collingwood can wear white shorts...which is also what Geelong always do against Collingwood.
The big deal is the inequity. Rules change all the time at a whim for no logical reason. It is a window into how the AFL treat the big vic clubs differently for things we can see. How do you think they go behind close doors when the public don’t know what is occurring when they can’t be trusted with a simple clash policy?

No, they don’t and the set up they do have is poorly applied.

You know you were doing better when you said you enjoyed the traditional teams playing in their traditional jumpers, at least you could argue you thought that was right.
I don't think any NFL teams have uniforms that go away from their chosen colour schemes? They seem to rely on light/dark v dark/light combinations or all dark v all light combinations like the AFL does.

I said the clubs could wear what they want at home, logically they'll pick their own colours, and the away team adjusts accordingly.
This is the problem. What if say, Port Adelaide, decides to wear Collingwood's colours (black and white) instead of their own official colours (black, teal, white, silver)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back