Kennett the Fashionista

Remove this Banner Ad

“precipitated the champion footballer’s dramatic exit from the football club and the game he had so richly punctuated for more than a decade.”

Richly punctuated?

My god that woman can crap on.

Who actually reads her articles? She thinks she’s a female version of John Steinbeck ffs.

A 500 plus word essay on a trivial incident that could be summed up with a few sentences.

As in “ Kennett is an idiot and tells dad jokes.

She’s coaxed all that hate for the HFC from the Riolis and gleefully ran to the keyboard sprouting about how the club is full of Nazi Party SS members who mistreat and inflict psychological suffering on indigenous players.

There’s even a photo of the letter Kennett wrote and a quote about his neat handwriting. Investigative journalism of the highest level.

All this without a single comment in response from anyone inside the HFC at the time except Kennett who’s more than happy to sit down with the Riolis and have a discussion.

How convenient for her there’s only one real side of the story.

Footballs First Lady of melodramatic ramblings is pathetic beyond words.

She’s disgusting.

Last edited:

A lot of focus on the airport incident in isolation but the article is pretty clear that it was the response to it that caused Rioli to reflect on many other incidents throughout his career. It seems there was little effort put in by Hawthorn to ammend those issues over the years. For the airport comments it seems the senior staff at Hawthorn were more interested in trying to convince the Rioli's to 'get over it'.

It's all very sad to be honest.

“precipitated the champion footballer’s dramatic exit from the football club and the game he had so richly punctuated for more than a decade.”

Richly punctuated?

My god that woman can crap on.

Who actually reads her articles? She thinks she’s a female version of John Steinbeck ffs.

A 500 plus word essay on a trivial incident that could be summed up with a few sentences.

As in “ Kennett is an idiot and tells dad jokes.

She’s coaxed all that hate for the HFC from the Riolis and gleefully ran to the keyboard sprouting about how the club is full of Nazi Party SS members who mistreat and inflict psychological suffering on indigenous players.

There’s even a photo of the letter Kennett wrote and a quote about his neat handwriting.

All this without a single comment in response from anyone inside the HFC at the time except Kennett who’s more than happy to sit down with the Riolis and have a discussion.

How convenient for her there’s only one real side of the story.

Footballs First Lady of melodramatic ramblings is pathetic beyond words.

She’s disgusting.
That’s the other side of this. A hack looking for clicks/relevance. This is pretty thin gruel.

It confirms my view the AFL has a serious problem with racism despite the constant pontificating that the league does.
Also no surprise whatsoever the very club that kicked off the pile on that caused Adam Goodes to be racially vilified out the sport has had the racist element in their club finally blown wide open.
Hopefully now the bullshit excuses people came out with to defend their racial vilification of Goodes will now end.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well, you, obviously....
Ahhh ..first one in 20 years mate

Only because it’s sitting here in BF posted by some moron who used the KKK in the headline

Which I find extremely pathetic and worthy of a response in defence of the HFC

I actually thought this was pretty disappointing from Rioli:

“Alastair’s wanted to come up and throw a bone to me,” Rioli said. “He wanted to go fishing, but it was short notice and my boat was in service.”

I‘m sure other arrangements could have been made, Cyril. Sounds pretty churlish. Always sad when a great fall out with their club, particularly as a fan. Nothing here really screams irreparable, but it looks as though Rioli is intent on making it so, for now at least.

Hopefully some goodwill on both sides can salvage the relationship.

A pretty damning article for Kennett and Hawthorn.

Caused Rioli to walk away from the club and looks like will take some effort to get him to return. He doubts he will come to the 10 year premiership reunion next year.

The cynicism in me noted the timing of this article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making a joke about ripped jeans being repaired is extremely common and has nothing to do with race.
I'm not claiming it was racist, just laughable that rather than apologise for being a dick he went for the gaslighting technique of apologising that the person was offended.

The difference between a joke being taken well and taken poorly is often as much to do with the delivery as the words. If people take offence to a joke you should take responsibility rather than blaming them for being offended.

It confirms my view the AFL has a serious problem with racism despite the constant pontificating that the league does.
Also no surprise whatsoever the very club that kicked off the pile on that caused Adam Goodes to be racially vilified out the sport has had the racist element in their club finally blown wide open.
Hopefully now the bullshit excuses people came out with to defend their racial vilification of Goodes will now end.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesnt change my view one iota.

I wonder how many people shitting on Kennett for that silly harmless joke have made the same remark themselves when they've spotted someone with expensive jeans filled with manufactured rips.

All I get from this is perhaps indigenous people should be treated differently to the rest of the population, lest they get offended by innocent comments.
He took the time to apologize for those comments and she still thinks it's not good enough. What would be good enough? Maybe she was looking for a payout.

Read the article more closely.

Doesn't sound racist at all to me, I've heard that joke many times, directed at all kinds of people, and never maliciously. There must be more to it than that or that would have to be the biggest overreaction I've ever heard of. Cyril surely didn't leave the Hawks just over this??
A top player in the prime of his career?

A lot of focus on the airport incident in isolation but the article is pretty clear that it was the response to it that caused Rioli to reflect on many other incidents throughout his career. It seems there was little effort put in by Hawthorn to ammend those issues over the years. For the airport comments it seems the senior staff at Hawthorn were more interested in trying to convince the Rioli's to 'get over it'.

Agree with this. Taking the Rioli's comments in isolation it seems like they actually didn't seem to have THAT much bad blood with Kennett himself over the stuff, but the full might of bureaucracy seemed to come down on them to pressure them in a way which had to feel like disenfranchisement. If the club or Kennett had have genuinely apologized it probably would have blown over, but comes across like the club basically went on a passive aggressive offensive.

Couple that with the fact the Rioli's seem to have basically been told to sit down and shut up over everything for a number of years and I'm not surprised the seemingly minor incident became an epiphany moment.

This quote surprised me, and not sure if the article details what it's referring to?
Shannyn wishes Clarkson had not tried to influence her through her family after the Kennett incident.

Contacting family members of a players wife to try and engineer an outcome doesn't seem like being up front or a great way to maintain a positive relationship.

This should be pinned to the top of the thread.

Kennett’s joke may have been tame to most but she didn’t like it, and the way the Hawks reacted was very poor.

The worst part is Kennett actually went for the "I'm sorry my comments offended you" rather than taking responsibility and apologising for making the comments at all. Poor form
He did the same thing in '99 in the lead up to the election. When it was looking like he was going to lose he (or his PR team) became all apologetic and started retracting. The man is a first class grub, a used car salesman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back