Key Leaders for Tasmanian Football Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone keeps saying that the critical thing (assuming the licence and stadium are done) is to get the key roles in the new club filled by the right people. I'd be interested to hear what others think (i) are the key roles (some self-evident) and (ii) who the best people for those roles are. I've taken a quick stab below with a group of people who all have strong links to Tasmanian footy and would I think be well equipped for the challenges of creating and establishing a new football club, team and community:
  • Coach - Chris Fagan
  • CEO - Brendon Gale
  • Head of Football - Graham Wright
  • List Manager - Hamish Ogilvie
  • Chairperson - Peter Gutwein

Everyone keeps saying that the critical thing (assuming the licence and stadium are done) is to get the key roles in the new club filled by the right people. I'd be interested to hear what others think (i) are the key roles (some self-evident) and (ii) who the best people for those roles are. I've taken a quick stab below with a group of people who all have strong links to Tasmanian footy and would I think be well equipped for the challenges of creating and establishing a new football club, team and community:
  • Coach - Chris Fagan
  • CEO - Brendon Gale
I think we go for Stephen Wells for list manager. He knows how to build competitive AFL teams and spots talented athletes to convert to footy.

I actually think Zane Littlejohn has potential to be a good AFL coach. Doing well at Boxhill and very highly regarded.
Just spit balling but maybe Fages as mentor coach with Littlejohn as assistant and then taking over after couple of seasons.
Agreed, posted the below in a different Tasmania thread on this board last night:

Zane Littlejohn is a Tasmanian that Fagan brought up to the Lions quite a few years ago as a development coach and always spoke really well and I believe was also from a teaching background and I understand is now coaching Box Hill Hawks or doing something with them. I'd be shocked if Zane wasnt involved somehow.

This article was from a few years ago about the Tasmanians at the Lions at the time. David Noble would also have to be in contention with Brendan Gale

1683005920151.png

Also recent interview with him at the Hawks

One thing's for sure- there won't be anything plastic about us, we'll be the real deal. Tassie is and always was an Aussie rules State. Nothing needs to be transplanted apart from the wherewithal. Being crapped on by the VFL and then AFL was just something expected which is why all these monumental developments are such a shock to me at least.

From my very limited observations over the years there were always a number of talented kids who escaped the clutches of the professional mainland spotters. Some family members included.

Now there will be something for the kids to aim for.

But, BUT, as I tell my Tasmanian-resident family members, I'll believe the stadium is actually built when I walk through the front door. The Green mentality is so ingrained in the local mindset that there is still a long way to go [I joke that the Tassie Number Plate logo should read : "you name it, we're against it"]. For a start, the Hobart City Council has a distinctly green bent. There'll be all sorts of Bobby Brown inspired obstacles, trust me. Much opportunity for laying down in front of bulldozers with accompanying wall-to-wall ABC coverage.

All that said, at least the ball is rolling.

I actually think Zane Littlejohn has potential to be a good AFL coach. Doing well at Boxhill and very highly regarded.
Just spit balling but maybe Fages as mentor coach with Littlejohn as assistant and then taking over after couple of seasons.

What about Jeromey Webberley?

One thing's for sure- there won't be anything plastic about us, we'll be the real deal. Tassie is and always was an Aussie rules State. Nothing needs to be transplanted apart from the wherewithal. Being crapped on by the VFL and then AFL was just something expected which is why all these monumental developments are such a shock to me at least.

From my very limited observations over the years there were always a number of talented kids who escaped the clutches of the professional mainland spotters. Some family members included.

But, BUT, as I tell my Tasmanian-resident family members, I'll believe the stadium is actually built when I walk through the front door. The Green mentality is so ingrained in the local mindset that there is still a long way to go [I joke that the Tassie Number Plate logo should read : "you name it, we're against it"]. For a start, the Hobart City Council has a distinctly green bent. There'll be all sorts of Bobby Brown inspired obstacles, trust me. Much opportunity for laying down in front of bulldozers with accompanying wall-to-wall ABC coverage.

Nope. It'll get done.
Greens don't have THAT much pull down here.
It's too far along for them to stop it now.

Over the last 10-20 years, have any undrafted Tassie state players become coaches down there?
They have but I don't have my hooks into as much as some others may and couldn't name names.
I've barely followed state league down here for many years.

Tassie, b/c I know you from the Lions board, curious what your thoughts are about whether you (and others really who support other teams, particularly the HAwks) will transition to being Tassie supporters full time or given your long term support of the Lions (or whatever AFL team you sport), will it be a case you'll support both (which I understand) or drop one or one of those things that until they are running around its a bit hard to answer.

No doubt Eagles and Crows fans faced this dilemma early days (not so much Dockers and Power fans who may have supported Eagles and Crows respectively), but just curious on your thoughts as we stand right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll have a zero carbon footprint. That'll shut 'em up. ;)

Tassie, b/c I know you from the Lions board, curious what your thoughts are about whether you (and others really who support other teams, particularly the HAwks) will transition to being Tassie supporters full time or given your long term support of the Lions (or whatever AFL team you sport), will it be a case you'll support both (which I understand) or drop one or one of those things that until they are running around its a bit hard to answer.

No doubt Eagles and Crows fans faced this dilemma early days (not so much Dockers and Power fans who may have supported Eagles and Crows respectively), but just curious on your thoughts as we stand right now?

There will be no transition. I'll drop the Lions like a red-hot brick. It'll be a Tassie 4 ever focus, trust me.

I just hope I can last that long.

One last thing- Tassie won it's first Sheffield cricket championship only when the game was located in Hobart. None of the North, North West etc etc rubbish.

There will be no transition. I'll drop the Lions like a red-hot brick. It'll be a Tassie 4 ever focus, trust me.

I just hope I can last that long.

One last thing- Tassie won it's first Sheffield cricket championship only when the game was located in Hobart. None of the North, North West etc etc rubbish.
Well this team will be based in Hobart for obvious reasons but play at Utas for obvious reasons. AFLW & VFL will also play on the Northwest Coast, probably at Dial Park in Penguin.

I'd suggest Robert Shaw for Chairperson.

While many other appointments will focus on the future, Robert would be a nice link to the past, and in the (VFL) developing years can help stir the passion and build the hype during the long build up.

Once the first AFL season happens, then handover to a more business type leader.

I'd suggest Robert Shaw for Chairperson.

While many other appointments will focus on the future, Robert would be a nice link to the past, and in the (VFL) developing years can help stir the passion and build the hype during the long build up.

Once the first AFL season happens, then handover to a more business type leader.
Gil said in the presser that a president would be decided upon by the AFL/state government in a matter of weeks. I got the vibe that they've already got someone lined up, and my bet is that that person is Peter Gutwein.

• Coach - Chris Fagan
  • CEO - Brendon Gale
I understand the sentiment (believe me I do :)) but its about getting the right people. Its a national league. Its no good being parochial.

However, A local Chairperson like Gutwein & I certainly would like Brendan gale as CEO, he has the runs on the board.

• Coach - Chris Fagan
  • CEO - Brendon Gale

David Noble will feature imo.

Initial VFL coach perhaps?
Noble has already gone on the record (Lions podcast called Roar Deal earlier this year) when he said that the experience of coaching made him realise that his future is in sports administation or words to that effect, so don't expect to see him coaching ever again.

Would make a great CEO at AFL club land and quietly hoping he succeeds Greg Swann at the Lions and if not, Tassie Devils.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Jack Jumpers start up CEO pops up in a role with the team. Close ties with Gutwein via JJ’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back