Key Leaders for Tasmanian Football Team

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be no transition. I'll drop the Lions like a red-hot brick. It'll be a Tassie 4 ever focus, trust me.

I just hope I can last that long.

One last thing- Tassie won it's first Sheffield cricket championship only when the game was located in Hobart. None of the North, North West etc etc rubbish.
Cricket is different to footy in Tasmania, I don't think too many people have much trouble with it being based in Hobart or even supporting the Hobart Hurricanes but I think footy is different and if you have none of the North or North West 'rubbish' you won't have much of a team.

Cricket is different to footy in Tasmania, I don't think too many people have much trouble with it being based in Hobart or even supporting the Hobart Hurricanes but I think footy is different and if you have none of the North or North West 'rubbish' you won't have much of a team.
I am not referring to footballers who come from the North. There have been many, many outstanding players who harked from north of Campbelltown. Rather I refer to the ongoing tussle as to who gets what, games-wise.

I took a sideways glance at the last game from UTAS stadium- I don't know what the attendance figure was but from the looks of the vacant stands I'd guess not many.

I am not referring to footballers who come from the North. There have been many, many outstanding players who harked from north of Campbelltown. Rather I refer to the ongoing tussle as to who gets what, games-wise.

I took a sideways glance at the last game from UTAS stadium- I don't know what the attendance figure was but from the looks of the vacant stands I'd guess not many.
I also wasn't referring to footballers who come from the north. I was referring to the potential pool of support for the team, and that pool will be smaller if they don't play half the games in the north.

If you take a sideways glance at the crowds in Hobart you'd likely notice that they are somewhat lower than the ones in Launceston. I think it's been a few years since they so much as cracked the 10k barrier. Why should the city with the lower AFL attendances get the majority of the games?

Lton- 4 games. Hbt- 7 games. Hobart is the capital city.

Also the fact that the new stadium will be in Hobart.

If that go with that kind of split they're in danger of alienating the north and having a basket case of a club all to themselves in Hobart. It will need to be at least five games a year and also some finals.

If that go with that kind of split they're in danger of alienating the north and having a basket case of a club all to themselves in Hobart. It will need to be at least five games a year and also some finals.
That won't happen. If they're spending $750 million on a new stadium and precinct, Hobart deserves at least 9 home games and all home finals, and Launceston with two home and away games. This is how it is done in the basketball and it's worked out perfectly. The AFL would be wise to take note.

That won't happen. If they're spending $750 million on a new stadium and precinct, Hobart deserves at least 9 home games and all home finals, and Launceston with two home and away games. This is how it is done in the basketball and it's worked out perfectly. The AFL would be wise to take note.
Good to read somewhere, the ones in charge of the basketball side will be communicating with AFL management and putting forward their ideas. Both sides working together.

I think Utas will get 4 games as now, & as it should as a minimum. I recon a preseason game on the NWC.

Once its all under way, I'd think supporters will take a look at the VFL team which will have senior players at times so will be known to the supporters. Also the AFLW games to play around the state as well.

A Hobart team will fail, and I'm not sure why the lessons from basketball would be to ignore half your potential supporter base. A Tasmanian team will require about half the games at Launceston, and no hogging of all finals by Hobart. And yes, the stadium in Hobart is an almost criminal waste of money.

A Hobart team will fail, and I'm not sure why the lessons from basketball would be to ignore half your potential supporter base. A Tasmanian team will require about half the games at Launceston, and no hogging of all finals by Hobart. And yes, the stadium in Hobart is an almost criminal waste of money.
You can see the future can you. A side in Tasmania will work and be more successful than the Suns and GWS. Looking fwd to this so much.

The JackJumpers do not ignore half the population. In fact, I would even argue that outside of NBL season they spend most of their time up north doing clinics, and so they should. The Jackies are extremely community-minded and are hell-bent on being a team that represents the entire state and they have done a bloody awesome job.

I wouldn’t call it hogging. If they’re going to build a state of the art stadium for this team it is only right that they play the majority (9) home games in Hobart and all finals. It’s just the way it is.

The way they could get more games for Launceston is convincing Hawthorn and a few other clubs to sell home games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The JackJumpers do not ignore half the population. In fact, I would even argue that outside of NBL season they spend most of their time up north doing clinics, and so they should. The Jackies are extremely community-minded and are hell-bent on being a team that represents the entire state and they have done a bloody awesome job.

I wouldn’t call it hogging. If they’re going to build a state of the art stadium for this team it is only right that they play the majority (9) home games in Hobart and all finals. It’s just the way it is.

The way they could get more games for Launceston is convincing Hawthorn and a few other clubs to sell home games.
Who will pay for these other teams to play up here in Launceston?

Absolutely taking the piss if you think UTAS only gets two, especially as the bigger stadium.

Hobart and Northern Tas simply can't support the majority of the games on their own. People outside of the regions won't travel 9 times a year and those in NW would have no incentive to change to the Tassie team tbh. 5/6 split means you're probably getting a good chunk still travelling to most. Could also see 4/7 with Hawthorn possibly playing a game in Launceston.

Absolutely taking the piss if you think UTAS only gets two, especially as the bigger stadium.

Hobart and Northern Tas simply can't support the majority of the games on their own. People outside of the regions won't travel 9 times a year and those in NW would have no incentive to change to the Tassie team tbh. 5/6 split means you're probably getting a good chunk still travelling to most. Could also see 4/7 with Hawthorn possibly playing a game in Launceston.
Launceston will most likely get 4 Tassie games and 1 Hawks game if they can find someone to fund it,Hobart has the new stadium so 6 is definitely not enough.

Is that you Rebecca White?

d219dcfd5fc9b140b2669a090a176953.jpg

I also wasn't referring to footballers who come from the north. I was referring to the potential pool of support for the team, and that pool will be smaller if they don't play half the games in the north.

If you take a sideways glance at the crowds in Hobart you'd likely notice that they are somewhat lower than the ones in Launceston. I think it's been a few years since they so much as cracked the 10k barrier. Why should the city with the lower AFL attendances get the majority of the games?
You're using two completely different teams' attendance numbers and trying to equate them to what a third team's numbers will be.

I don't even know any Tasmanian North supporters, I do know a few Hawthorn supporters though.

Hawthorn membership numbers have dropped by around 25,000 this year while North's have only dropped by around 5,000 and the Hawks still have 10,000 more members than North do. Hawthorn's average home game attendance this year is still more than 10,000 higher than North's as well. North last won a premiership 24 years ago, Hawthorn last won a flag 8 years ago and have won 4 over that period including 3 in a row.

These things are not the same, and the Tasmanian team won't be either.

Brett Costello on SEN Dwayne’s World 5/7/23

Costello’s update: Tassie team looking unlikely before 2030. Thank you State Labor fwits and your merry band of anti development/progress 🤬

Costello’s update: Tassie team looking unlikely before 2030. Thank you State Labor fwits and your merry band of anti development/progress 🤬

He is probably basing that timeline estimate on David O’Byrne’s comments on SEN Tassie a couple of weeks ago saying it could take 18 months for stadium approval to pass through parliament

Sounds like more speculation than anything.
I wouldn't read too much into that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back