Lack of leg speed still haunts us - it MUST be addressed over Summer

Remove this Banner Ad

We lifted our pressure late in that 2nd quarter and suddenly we looked quick

I don’t think we have a issue but every team could use more leg speed. What’s the good of that when no one creates space with applying pressure. You could have 10 players with awesome leg speed but with no where to break the lines or utilise that run, it’s a waste.

It all comes down to our pressure. That was way off today so we looked second to the ball and sluggish (we were cooked though)
I agree, however leg speed is important in applying defensive pressure too. For me, we are too reliant on pressure. When we apply decent pressure we are a match for anyone, once that drops we get exposed. The good sides still win, even when their pressure drops off. It's pretty hard to maintain high levels every quarter, every game.

Came here to say this. Draft and trade for players who are good footballers and can hit targets. The ball moves faster than players. do.
True enough but its leg speed that generates spread which allows space and time which increases your chances of accurate disposal...

The only time we looked like having any effective run and carry in the last 2 years has been through Atley, Higgo and Billy Hartung!

Our lack of respect for recruiting players with leg speed/ability to break the lines has been an Achilles heel for us for a while now.
Our lack of respect for recruiting players with leg speed/ability to break the lines has been an Achilles heel for us for a while now.

Kyron can relate to that comment😕

Came here to say this. Draft and trade for players who are good footballers and can hit targets. The ball moves faster than players. do.

Do we try for the Hill brothers from Freo seeing as reports are that they want out....

Do we try for the Hill brothers from Freo seeing as reports are that they want out....

I dunno. I've often wondered about that. Polec doesn't seem as dynamically/line breakingly fast as the Hills, Hall or even Hartung. Maybe get Brady Rawlings to work on it before he finally packs up and leaves WA.

Speed, we all want it, but what is it?

My take.

If you split the game into two portions, attack and defence then this is how it breaks down.

Attack: It is not how quick the player himself is, it is how fast the ball moves. Take the Port game as the benchmark. It was the clean ball movement to players in the correct position that had their defence on the back foot all night. The slowest player in the team being in the right place at the right time counts for a lot more than leg speed. Time and again quick ball movement was too fast for their fastest players to react. And when you have multiple options to choose from you can carve up the defence. I don't care how quick you are, if the ball itself is in constant motion or going over your head, you may as well not be there.

Defence: Defence revolves around pressure, both real and perceived. You need to have players that will anticipate where the ball is going to be, not where it is at that point in time. You need your defence (everyone when the opposition has the ball) to stop chasing the ball, instead be there when the ball arrives, and if it is in an opposition players hands, tackle them into the ground, holding the ball in or forcing a turnover. Too often multiple players chase after the person with ball, causing a shortage of free defenders and allowing an overlap to occur. If an opposition player knows he is going to get hit when the ball arrives, they come under pressure, and their fine motor skills will falter, and turnovers are more likely.

My solution is yes, try and recruit players that have line breaking speed if you can; but they must be good ball users. No good being quick if you turn the ball over with a bad kick or panicked handball. But more importantly, get the players to practice time and space. Know when to go and know where to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed, we all want it, but what is it?

My take.

If you split the game into two portions, attack and defence then this is how it breaks down.

Attack: It is not how quick the player himself is, it is how fast the ball moves. Take the Port game as the benchmark. It was the clean ball movement to players in the correct position that had their defence on the back foot all night. The slowest player in the team being in the right place at the right time counts for a lot more than leg speed. Time and again quick ball movement was too fast for their fastest players to react. And when you have multiple options to choose from you can carve up the defence. I don't care how quick you are, if the ball itself is in constant motion or going over your head, you may as well not be there.

Defence: Defence revolves around pressure, both real and perceived. You need to have players that will anticipate where the ball is going to be, not where it is at that point in time. You need your defence (everyone when the opposition has the ball) to stop chasing the ball, instead be there when the ball arrives, and if it is in an opposition players hands, tackle them into the ground, holding the ball in or forcing a turnover. Too often multiple players chase after the person with ball, causing a shortage of free defenders and allowing an overlap to occur. If an opposition player knows he is going to get hit when the ball arrives, they come under pressure, and their fine motor skills will falter, and turnovers are more likely.

My solution is yes, try and recruit players that have line breaking speed if you can; but they must be good ball users. No good being quick if you turn the ball over with a bad kick or panicked handball. But more importantly, get the players to practice time and space. Know when to go and know where to be.

Some good insights. It is also important to note that people assume that when a bloke has 3m on his opponent it is because he "ran away quicker". This is rarely the case, it is usually because he has a larger tank than his opponent and could keep running to create space after his opponent blew up.
Sam Gibson was always free for this reason (and not because the opposition wanted him torching the ball like the conspiracy theorists think).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back