Lance Franklin - Approaching Top 10 goalkickers of all time.

Will Buddy reach 1000 goals before the end of his career?

• Yes

Votes: 159 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey folks, I'm not usually one to start a main board thread, but with Lance Franklin hastily approaching the top 10 goal kickers of all time after his 8 goal haul on the weekend my mate and I were discussing where Buddy sits in terms of all time great players in the league.

I posed the question, do you think he can reach 1000 goals in his career? He's currently 30 years old, and sitting on 809. 9 more goals will put him into outright tenth (pushing Bernie Quinlan with 817 into 11th).

His career average is 3.1 goals a game.

At worst case scenario, allowing room for him to slow down and miss some games, say he plays 20 games a season up to the end of 2019. That allows 13 more this year, and another 40 over the 2018-19 seasons, that makes 53 games (meaning he reaches 300). Now let's say he kicks two goals a game over that period. That's 106 goals and would leave him on 915 (tied 8th with Leigh Matthews).

Best case scenario, he plays another 5 years, maintains his average of 3 goals a game and plays 22 games minimum a year. That means he'll kick another 350+ goals, leaving him in about 4th position.

How do you see it panning out for him?

At around the same point career wise, I was certain Lloydy would get to 1000 & then bang, hammy off the bone & that was basically that.

Buddy might get there but as always, luck also needs to play a big part.
Yeah, when I was looking at the overall list I was thinking the exact same thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he could take a contested mark he might have gotten there this week

It is one of the biggest fallacies in football that Buddy can't take a contested mark. His contested mark average was 2nd in the AFL in 2014, 8th in 2012 and 14th in 2010 (he has been further down the list in other years). These results are enormous given that his engine/speed dictates that he gets most of his possessions in open space. In one on one situations he is superb.

Even when he starts to lose his lightning speed he will still kick bags of goals playing closer to home later in his career. Will get to 1000 easily and may end up closer to 1200 than people think.

Last edited:
Back