Leigh Matthews calls for only one team in SE Qld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, if Eddie can shoot his mouth off every week with some new and random shizen as president and media personality, then I'm more than happy for someone with the credibility of Mathews to do the same - and more so draw attention to the fact that 2 Qld teams are or will be withering on the vine without support.

If fact I'd go as far as to say he doesn't do it enough.
Leigh was confronting the AFL and southern supporters generally, with the hard facts that were not being given attention ..thanks to his shock effect, there is attention.

The talking heads go on about the TV rights, how about send the Suns down to tassie & we'll absorb what's left. We'll take Lynch & play 1 or 2 down at Carrara every season.

Never been an advocate for Leigh being back at the club in his position while he is juggling his media career. It would be alright if he actually talked about the Lions but instead he just pleases the masses in Victoria. I think there is plenty of room for 2 QLD teams and Leigh overstepped the mark with his comments and probably pushed the AFL HQ further away by saying they screwed up by creating the GCS etc etc. I wonder what impacts this could have further down the track for us? It's like when you publicly bag out your boss for diversifying the business which will stretch the resources upfront for a long term gain, and then straight after ask for a bonus or pay rise.

Have the Lions done anything well?

Never been an advocate for Leigh being back at the club in his position while he is juggling his media career. It would be alright if he actually talked about the Lions but instead he just pleases the masses in Victoria. I think there is plenty of room for 2 QLD teams and Leigh overstepped the mark with his comments and probably pushed the AFL HQ further away by saying they screwed up by creating the GCS etc etc. I wonder what impacts this could have further down the track for us? It's like when you publicly bag out your boss for diversifying the business which will stretch the resources upfront for a long term gain, and then straight after ask for a bonus or pay rise.

Disagree totally x100 - I love Matthews on our Board and even more so as our Football Director, full stop - compared to the stuff we had to put up with, with that fking w***er Angarse Johnson, we are in heaven. I don't have to, or even care about what Lethal has to say in the media as long ad he gets attention and makes people think about issues in Qld. Count your blessings - how much media exposure would we get about our plight without Lethal stirring things up at City Hall. My only regret is that he is not our President and that he doesn't go head to head with Eddie big mouth. Go Lethal!

Extra Qld and NSW teams increase broadcast rights (Tasmania already watches plenty of AFL and doesn't have a big population) and corporate dollars (Tasmania already sponsors AFL teams and doesn't have the big companies).
They should play 6 in Hobart & 5 in Launseston. Offer both half & full memberships under the banner of Tassie Devils or whatever. Surely they could get James Boags on board, tourism Tasmania does plenty of advertising down here too.

They should play 6 in Hobart & 5 in Launseston. Offer both half & full memberships under the banner of Tassie Devils or whatever. Surely they could get James Boags on board, tourism Tasmania does plenty of advertising down here too.
I tend to agree. We've got to be somewhere where there is serious footy passion. Having been to a few games at the Gabba ( including a win ), there's not the serious hurt and everyone can continue doing a half arsed job for top $$s without any consequences. Squandering the Royboy traditions of commitment and passion in adversity.

Can't see myself supporting a "Brisbane Suns" or "Gold Coast lions"

Being a mad Fitzroy fan it was hard for me to see them called the Brisbane Lions but I stuck with it and love the Brisbane Lions... Don't think I've got it in me to be the Gold Coast lions or Brisbane Suns

My opinion of course

Really unfortunate what is happening in SE Queensland at the moment. Even if the teams were successful, from people I talk to up in that region there is just not enough support for two teams. The AFL will stick fat and keep 2 teams in QLD, but it's mighty difficult to see them both being successful off field. Hopefully the AFL modelling is right and SE QLD can support two teams.

Here is a fanciful hypothetical. Chance of happening 0.05%. In no way meaning to be insensitive to the real footy supporters in QLD because i'd hate my club to merge. What could the AFL do? Just thinking aloud! De-merge the Lions and send Fitzroy to Tassie to play 8 games a year (4/4 split Hobart/Launceston), 3 games in Melbourne (Maybe regional games Ballarat etc)?

Re-establish a new team for SE Queensland - Sunshine (Coast) Bears - Splitting games 5 games each Brisbane/Gold Coast 1 game Cairns.

Here is a fanciful hypothetical. Chance of happening 0.05%. In no way meaning to be insensitive to the real footy supporters in QLD because i'd hate my club to merge. What could the AFL do? Just thinking aloud! De-merge the Lions and send Fitzroy to Tassie to play 8 games a year (4/4 split Hobart/Launceston), 3 games in Melbourne (Maybe regional games Ballarat etc)?

Chance of happening. 0.00%.

You do know that the Fitzroy Football Club still exist in their own right in Melbourne?

I tend to agree. We've got to be somewhere where there is serious footy passion. Having been to a few games at the Gabba ( including a win ), there's not the serious hurt and everyone can continue doing a half arsed job for top $$s without any consequences. Squandering the Royboy traditions of commitment and passion in adversity.
I was sayin that the Suns need to go to tassie. There's enough resources for 1 strong club in SEQLD not 2

Really unfortunate what is happening in SE Queensland at the moment. Even if the teams were successful, from people I talk to up in that region there is just not enough support for two teams. The AFL will stick fat and keep 2 teams in QLD, but it's mighty difficult to see them both being successful off field. Hopefully the AFL modelling is right and SE QLD can support two teams.

Re-establish a new team for SE Queensland - Sunshine (Coast) Bears - Splitting games 5 games each Brisbane/Gold Coast 1 game Cairns.

Good idea but we can play 10 games at Metrocon and 10 is Brizzo and then 2 in Aloce Sprongs cos it is North and under represented at national level imho

I was sayin that the Suns need to go to tassie. There's enough resources for 1 strong club in SEQLD not 2

I reckon bugger all spectators would turn up regardless.

Guarantee you the Broncos crowds and corporates would plunge if they had a few down years. You have seen that with the Reds.

Fairweatheries up here but who can blame them? Aren't used to having losing teams represent them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon bugger all spectators would turn up regardless.

Guarantee you the Broncos crowds and corporates would plunge if they had a few down years. You have seen that with the Reds.

Fairweatheries up here but who can blame them? Aren't used to having losing teams represent them.
Yeah ya definitely can't blame them. The only way to pack the grandstands is by at least being consistently competitive.

Honestly mate, I have no idea what the afl can do. It's either help us or let us die. Either way people are going to be pissed off haha

I don't mind your thought but I just can't see the afl going for it. It's a very tough decision the afl has on its hands

bvSz0XQ.png

In fairness, I think it's a combination of bandwagoners decamping, terrible match times and the Gold Coast introduction.

Last edited:
I know where all our supporters are, passed them all driving south today! Couldn't believe how many qlders were on the Newell highway. Have settled into our motel ready to watch freo Tigers game. Cheers until tomorrow night, and go our mighty lions. Fingers crossed!

Good idea but we can play 10 games at Metrocon and 10 is Brizzo and then 2 in Aloce Sprongs cos it is North and under represented at national level imho

Or better yet, 11 home games at the Gabba, 6 in Melbourne to honour the merger agreement, 1 in each on WA, SA and NSW and the remaining 2 on the Gold Coast...works for me.:cool:

A couple Lions supporters phoned into SEN this arvo to give some of the grim stats regarding the lack of crowd/membership growth in QLD only to have their mics cut and comments disregarded...pfft

The concensus amongst a few of us is to send the franchise down to Tazzie. Keep it to 18 teams & get rid of that bloody rediculus jumper n colours.
Traditional fitzroy jumper in melbourne....pld brisbane jumper at the gabba!! Never understood why this isn't the case......current jumper for perth SA games etc

Traditional fitzroy jumper in melbourne....pld brisbane jumper at the gabba!! Never understood why this isn't the case......current jumper for perth SA games etc
Premiership Lion gernzy does the job. The old Bears n FFC jumper once a year goes alright too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back