Leon Cameron - is he the man?

Remove this Banner Ad

No Victorian team is playing him 1 million year now since 2017 he has steadily declined, still a good player not what you would expect for a million year player.

Can they afford to lose him? I honestly think they need to do another rebuild.
Ward, Davis and Coniglio aren't what they used to be but I still think they can be useful.

Meanwhile I think Haynes, Greene, Whitfield, Kelly, Taranto, Taylor, Perryman is an elite core. Give me those 7 in a good side and I'll give you 7 All Australians.

That's 10. Hopper, Cumming, Daniels, Himmelberg and a half decent ruck (Flynn or Preuss) gets you to 15 serviceable or better players.

Riccardi, Hill, O'Halloran, Green, Ash, 3 x first rounders last year and that's 23 and your rebuild done.

The retool that they need is to get rid of a lot of the guys on their list who aren't useful role players any longer and find a bunch of fresh hungry role players from the state leagues or delistings to cover the young players and provide a bit of oomph. Gold Coast have done a good job bringing in some mature bodies, that's what the Giants need.

If you pull the rebuild card and start subtracting from the best 7 you're then diminishing the chances to bounce back on track, likely upsetting the veterans and starting to put a time limit on the guys like Greene and Haynes.

As for whether Kelly gets 1 million from a Vic club - Zac Williams and Brad Hill got close to that if you believe the reports. He might not be the kind of player in Brownlow contention that he was looking like back in 2017 but he should still be 10 or Brownlow votes and a number of high impact games. If you're North or say Essendon who wanted Dunkley on big money, don't you have to overpay Kelly if he's gettable?

Has had the most talented list in recent history at his disposal for a number of years, and only really dominated the competition for 1 maybe 2 seasons. Even then, no minor premiership, one grand final appearance.. Only played finals for 4 seasons with 2x top 4 finishes (4th both times). simply not good enough.

Winning premierships is extremely difficult, and the lack of premierships alone does not define him in my mind - but the lack of general success during the seasons, with the list he had at his disposal - means he's just not very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you go from beating a flag contending team away in Melbourne at the G, to blowing very winnable game against an injury riddled Gold Coast ?

Needs to be on the hot seat now.
Ballarat.....how many games the likes of Richmond and Collingwood win in Tasmania, Geelong and Ballarat? Takes skill level down to the opposition level due to the wind and weather factor that not every team experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Back