Likely First Rounders

Remove this Banner Ad

adagio

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Way too early to predict with any accuracy the first round in order. Like every year, there will be bolters and sliders.

But after a few rounds of the U18 champs, a few standouts are certainly starting to emerge. Who do you reckon will end up being picked in the first round?

For me (having not seen any of them live), these guys seem to be the big names of the '09 draft pool:

Tom Scully
John Butcher
Kane Lucas
Jack Trengove
Luke Tapscott
Allen Christensen
Jack Fitzpatrick
Anthony Morabito
Mark Hutchings
Alex Carey
Roland Ah Chee
Jordan Gysberts
Dustin Martin
Matthew Panos
Koby Stevens
Jesse Crighton

By pure coincidence, that list turned to be 16 names long :)

Notably, in contrast to last year's draft, the quality of onballers is extremely high.. but the amount quality of talls leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway what do you guys reckon? Who could slide out of the pecking order? Who could bolt? Anyone who has actually seen these guys - thoughts are much appreciated.

Way too early to predict with any accuracy the first round in order. Like every year, there will be bolters and sliders.

But after a few rounds of the U18 champs, a few standouts are certainly starting to emerge. Who do you reckon will end up being picked in the first round?

For me (having not seen any of them live), these guys seem to be the big names of the '09 draft pool:

Tom Scully
John Butcher
Kane Lucas
Jack Trengove
Luke Tapscott
Allen Christensen
Jack Fitzpatrick
Anthony Morabito
Mark Hutchings
Alex Carey
Roland Ah Chee
Jordan Gysberts
Dustin Martin
Matthew Panos
Koby Stevens
Jesse Crighton

By pure coincidence, that list turned to be 16 names long :)

Notably, in contrast to last year's draft, the quality of onballers is extremely high.. but the amount quality of talls leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway what do you guys reckon? Who could slide out of the pecking order? Who could bolt? Anyone who has actually seen these guys - thoughts are much appreciated.

Based on what I have seen and just pure stats and acolades, Mitch Duncan should definitely be in there.

Brad Sheppard an outside chance after being just as good as Morabito if not better during WAFL seniors for East freo.

If WA win the champs expect Duncan, Sheppard, Lucas, Morabito, Hutchings to all go first round.

From WA i think chance for first round include....

Anthony Morabito anywhere 1-5
Kane Lucas 3-10
Mitch Duncan 12-16
Brad Sheppard 12-16
Mark Hutchings 15-20

Also interested on peoples thoughts of who the 12 boys going to the Gold Coast will be.

I rekon Blayne Wilson only chance from WA

I reckon your spot on with thos suggestions except i think Morabito is more 3-6. No way he will go one ahead of Scully but i can see your thinking behind his enormous potential and talent.

B.Wilson was close to BOG against VICM and is having a ripper carnival expect to see him at the GC i reckon hes one player that wont take the risk and will be happy to go to the GC side. Has come out of the blue a bit i must admit. Wasnt in the initial WA side and than gets BOG against VIC M.

From Victoria:
Metro - Tom Scully (#1), Jack Fitzpatrick (5-8), Josh Toy (11-14 if he doesn't go to GC), Sam Shaw (Roughy)
Country - John Butcher (#2-3), Ben Cunnington (8-11), David Astbury (13-16), Gary Rohan and Nathan Vardy (Roughies)

Jesse Chrichton, i have known this man for a long time playing through country footy with him and going to school with him. He's a classy player and knows how to run down his apponent. i remember one year playing country football he came in at 3 quarter time and finished up with the BOG, he was playing C, kicked 3 goals and took a few massive grabs. But yeah i hope he gets drafted in the first round pick:thumbsu:

Cunnington will be first round

From your list, the following would be my bestest guess to miss out on the R1 draftee's paycheque:

Allen Christensen
Jack Fitzpatrick
Mark Hutchings
Alex Carey
Roland Ah Chee
Jesse Crichton

Ah, who knows.

Nice bump, forgot I ever made this.

Feeling slightly redfaced about some of the names I had in there, but at the time they were the guys continuously mentioned. Shows how much changes (Rohan especially, yep).

Considering WA won the state champs pretty easily, one would think thay would have a fair number of guys in for a good show for getting picked in round 1 and early round 2....Morabito, Lucas, Sheppard, Black, Duncan, Fyfe, Colyer and Hutchings......also if Darling, Swallow and Matera were old enough they would of been in the running too....could have easily been 10 WA boys in the first 20!.....I reckon the only reason why Morabito isn't going number one is because Freo or WCE didn't finish last....

Considering WA won the state champs pretty easily, one would think thay would have a fair number of guys in for a good show for getting picked in round 1 and early round 2....Morabito, Lucas, Sheppard, Black, Duncan, Fyfe, Colyer and Hutchings......also if Darling, Swallow and Matera were old enough they would of been in the running too....could have easily been 10 WA boys in the first 20!.....I reckon the only reason why Morabito isn't going number one is because Freo or WCE didn't finish last....

That, or because Scully and Trengove are far and away the better players :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If those two boys are as good as you say, how good is David Swallow then? The kid is 16 and won the Larke medal, he would easily go number one this year, and the next and considering he's still eligible for u/18 footy till the end of 2011, he would go number one in 2011.

Tom Scully
John Butcher
Kane Lucas
Jack Trengove
Luke Tapscott
Allen Christensen
Jack Fitzpatrick
Anthony Morabito
Mark Hutchings
Alex Carey
Roland Ah Chee
Jordan Gysberts
Dustin Martin
Matthew Panos
Koby Stevens
Jesse Crighton

I dont think these guys will go round 1 maybe Fitzpatrick but I doubt it.

I dont think these guys will go round 1 maybe Fitzpatrick but I doubt it.

Check out when the OP was written mate.

Freezin/EH - pretend you're the recruiter for Fremantle and you had pick 2. Scully gets taken at 1. Who would you honestly take?

Check out when the OP was written mate.

Freezin/EH - pretend you're the recruiter for Fremantle and you had pick 2. Scully gets taken at 1. Who would you honestly take?

I reckon you have already made my mind up for me anyway mate!!!

But hey for what its worth, lets look at Trengove......S.A boy who is an elite junior footballer, 185 - 187cm? midfielder.....great work ethic, great skills, great ball winner......then there is Morabito......local lad, who has an elite junior footballer......bit bigger and bulkier than Trengove at 190cm....a great athlete, with a degree of unpredictability about his play, who kicks goals and wins his fair share of the ball.

I ask you mate, with Freo's current midfield types what do Freo need and what would be the best fit for them?......I look at Geelong's midfield...they are all elite fella's, but all are a variety of shapes, sizes and speeds.....that mix is what makes them so good and so hard to counter....

For me both fella's are ready to go in 2010.....in terms of best fit and mix, Freo NEED a Morabito type player more than a Trengove....not saying Trengove wouldn't be nice in Freo's midfield....just that Morabito provides that different ingredient that should complement the skills/shapes and sizes that fella's like Palmer, Ibbottsen, Hasleby, Suban, Hill etc already possess!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back